Anna Gay sets world record

Drago

• Baller

You can find Erika's run on YouTube, where you can see it fullscreen. Noting the comment

by @horton --looks like she may have a good bit of recovery time between landing one flip

and taking off for the next trick. It would be interesting to compare to Anna's recovery times.

Maybe a Tony Lightfoot project.

• Baller

@Horton Going early is different from pre turn. If you go early, the trick is susceptible to sliding as the wake might not get properly crossed and turning is happening at the crest of the wake instead of well clear. "Sloppy nightmare" tricks result. Interesting note, tiny wakes or very low angle wakes (like the current crop of boat wakes) are less sensitive to timing issues. We should see fewer problems from going early. Of course, one still must cross the wake.

I have seen true pre turn. Sometimes Kirk blows out of his RTB position on the way to the wake for TWBB. He is athletic enough to maintain the momentum and get all the way around to TB position. I suppose you could call it TWBB n/c preturn but it looks more like TF, TWB. Regardless, it is clearly different from the well executed tricks that sometimes (and erroneously) get cut for pre turn.

@Edbrazil Counterspun tricks are not 360. They are more like 400 degrees of rotation. Still requires tolerance from the exact rule wording.

I agree with you that the failings of the past should not be perpetuated (poor views, random speeds and boat paths, etc.). But the look and feel of the tricks is the historical continuity I seek. Just as we allow fast second segments in jump and offer multiple ZO settings to mimic the different feel of different drivers in all the events. Tricks has a big problem when what looks and feels good gets cut by strict judging. It gets discouraging so you just quit. Best case for partial credit, you do score most of the trick but have incentive to improve more.

Although in Anna's case, I couldn't see any form breaks.

Eric

• Supporting Member

I've said this several times over the years, whenever Eric brings up partial credit, but for anyone new to the discussion:

If you want an accurate score, thresholding is bad.

Any time you force all-or-nothing, the score becomes unstable. This principal extends way beyond trick skiing into all forms of scoring metrics used to solve all sorts of real-world problems.

Interestingly one of the most outspoken proponent of the idea of partial credit is Ace. And if you think about the idea, it would be more difficult to score enough points to break a World Record than the all-or-nothing approach currently. To me that says a lot.

But to avoid hijacking the thread, this discussion should probably be in a thread of its own.

• Administrators

@Edbrazil

It was only a matter of time

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

• Baller

Noting @horton comments about Erika. I did some stopwatch timing on Erika vs. Anna,

on the delay between landing one flip and taking off for the next. In the runs posted in

this thread, Anna averages 0.15 second quicker than Erika. Maybe somewhat due to

Erika getting farther outside the wake between flips.