Sternum Cartilage Injury

ESPNSkier

• Baller
Great conditions this morning (air 75/water 72) and tried to squeeze in a quick run before I had to be somewhere. Did not have my head in the game and form was horrible. Tried to throw my ski around 6 ball on my 6th pass (stupid move this time of year for sure) and ran square over the ball taking a hard OTF and apparently tearing the cartilage around my sternum in the process. I have had many lower rib cartilage injuries over the years but never around the sternum. Anyone experience this before and any recommendations on treatment?

• Baller
Umm, yeah, I've done that from OTFs in both jumping and slalom and unfortunately, that injury lasts and lasts and there's not much you can do for it and every move seems to stretch it. Just don't catch cold, because sneezing is a bitch...

• Baller
Thanks all, good advice! Trying not to sneeze, cough or laugh. Did this many years ago with the lower ribs and it did take a long time to heal. What really sucks is that I had a great session with Matt Rini yesterday and felt like I made real progress....then I go out this morning and do exactly what he told me to stop doing....go figure! Matt is awesome and I highly recommend getting a few sets in with him if you are in Central Florida!

• Baller
@ESPNSkier the "heat, rest, IBU" comments are all on track. Sternum cartilage can be slow to heal, partly due to location, partly due to cartilage blood flow/repair, partly due to it being so prone to re-flare as we heal. After a couple of weeks of progress and symptoms management, very cautiously/lightly lie on your back with arms outstretched to a crucifix position. As you can do this without pain, progress to standing up in a door jamb in a similar crucifix, but go very light and be certain not to " hang" your body weight on your arms. These postures will help "open" your chest up. We have a poor tendency to rest in chest forward/collapsed position and heal up in a very "shortened state," making it vulnerable to reinjury. Hope this helps.

• Baller

Thanks @ToddA, I'll give that a try when I can. I sneezed yesterday and it took me to my knees....man that hurt! I have seen a lot of differing opinions about heat vs cold and have been going the ice route a couple of times a day. Sounds like maybe I should try heat? I read about your shoulder surgery in another post, good luck, I hope you heal quickly!

@adkh2oskier, your post about me skiing 36 so I must be young made me laugh....again, something you don't want to do when you have a chest cartilage injury! That's because I have not skied a tournament since the early 80s. I'm 61 and usually ski at 32 mph now so the healing process may take a while.

• Baller
Ouch, probably be okay but yeah slow to heal but shouldn't have much if any impact on skiing. Use a foam roller across your chest work towards various sized balls starting larger (softball size) then working to smaller (lacrosse ball sized). Maybe even a focused deep tissue massage. It will take a while. Avoid bar to chest incline and even flat bench press if you lift weights. Good luck. Remember it's your injury don't be afraid to explore what exactly hurts it, movements pressure etc. it's better to know limitations first hand plus Its valuable to the body to understand and to be aware.

• Baller
@ESPNSkier Sorry to hear about your injury, but us 60+ year old guys skiing 32 mph can still heal OK. :D This past summer I fractured a rib, and 2 months later split my scalp open (needed 8 metal staples but at least the ski did not break). I think I have healed back to normal which is great because I was never normal before!

• Baller
Regarding the sternum cartilage injury that happened to me water skiing 40 years ago. It was a slow heal, but it has been ok ever since though I won't ever for get that injury. It definite interfered with getting up for awhile.

• Baller
I injured a small area of sternum cartilage while tubing during my senior year in high school in 1990. To this day, I still cannot tube without still feeling a little pain from it, and I'm now 43. Fortunately, it prevented me from tubing anymore, and to stick to skiing.