Do you wear the kill switch lanyard?

ski6jones

• Baller
No, it is in the glove compartment. Thankfully Malibu did away with the failure prone spring loaded switches a long time ago and just has a shielded toggle so there is no need to bypass, you just remove the lanyard and flip the switch back to on.

• Administrators
I don't get it. How the hell did they get thrown out of the boat? I don't see how the driver if a tournament-style ski boat can possibly get thrown out unless he's doing something horribly stupid. That video is humorous but I honestly don't see how it applies to 99% of the leadership of this website.

• Baller_
@Horton, I think it was speed and the amount of hull in the water. It's sort of like when a hydroplane teeters from pontoon to pontoon and then a slight steering mistake or wake from another boat causes more hull to catch on one side. If you aren't on a line to withstand that sudden pressure or cannot react quickly enough with the wheel to prevent its directional thrust the boat essentially puts on the brakes on that side and darts off quickly in one direction. They're lucky they didn't flip it over.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

The article says it was a mechanical failure in the steering system, nut/bolt came out. In that case they were lucky to be wearing the kill lanyard.

I could see the driver of a tournament boat getting thrown out of the seat in the case of a steering failure. Most tournament boats have a good bit of torque on the rudder going straight ahead. The tiller is attached to the end of the steering cable by one bolt in applications I've seen. Lose that one bolt and the boat takes an unexpected hard right. Where does the driver end up? Throttle still on mind you.

• Baller
Before kill switches were installed on tournament boats, Hank Longo's driver/buddy was killed when he slipped out of the boat while retrieving a ski Hank had lost. When he did that, he hit the throttle and the boat ran him over killing him. He actually was caught in the prop and died from drowning while Hank tried to free him. Gruesome, horrible way to go and it still makes me pause when thinking about it. If anything good came of it, it made skiers here pay attention to "pulling the pin" (the neutral lock pin) whenever picking up fallen skiers. We had a guy in an outboard ejected on a lake I ski on a few years ago. The boat was doing the "circle of death" around him. We headed out there, but his boat killed before we got there (battery connection came off somehow)- scared the crap out of us (and him!). I started hooking up last summer after seeing a guy almost flip himself out of a Centurion on our lake when he hit reverse too hard. What's the downside of wearing it, if yours works right?

• Baller
Regarding the mechanical failure of a tournament boat, I once had the rudder fall right out of a boat I was driving at 36 with a slalom skier (retainer wire failed, nut backed off- felt fine right until it happened) and all it did was make an easy turn out of the course- no violent movement or anything. Took on water fast, but that was the worst of it.

• Baller
@MISkier, it might, when we did on the water tournament driver training here after it happened, we sure mentioned it. The fact that it happened to a guy who's pretty involved in AWSA affairs may have brought it to their attention- it's good advice.

• Baller
I don't wear it or see it as necessary for tournament waterskiers, but I can tell you from personal experience how you can get thrown out of a 1986 Ski Nautique 2001. As noted by @horton you have to do something incredibly dumb which I tried in about 1987 and fortunately my brother and I both escaped unharmed and with a very good story.

• Baller

I was in a 1994 Ski Nautique that was "drafting" another boat at over 40 mph on a public lake. When our driver pulled out from behind the lead boat, the way our hull reacted with the lead boat's wakes put us right up on an extremely steep edge where it locked in and stayed for about four very long seconds. Close call.

I don't wear the lanyard, but I also never fully trust acute-angle boat-wake crossings.

• Baller
Back when ESPN owned B.A.S.S. I worked a good many BASSMasters tournaments and saw people ejected from boats a couple of times, always at high speed. They were required to use a kill switch and wear an auto-inflatable Mustang PFD. Never seen it happen in a ski boat and I don't wear one in my MC.

• Baller
I've driven an I/O bowrider where the steering failed like that at probably 35mph. We weren't drafting a boat and were in clean water. Probably had 5 people in the boat at the time. When the steering cable disconnected itself, the steering cranked hard over and we came to an almost immediate stop. People who were in seats didn't really even shift in the seat but one guy was sitting on the rail and he got thrown out. We all figured he was lucky but he thrown well clear of the boat. IMO, sitting on the rail or standing is more dangerous than not wearing a lanyard in any kind of semi-deep hull boat.

A few years back, I was pulling my buddy through the course in a 1999 Malibu Sunsetter and "coaching" at the same time. (yea, I know, stupid). I got too close to a guide ball and the ball passed under the left edge of the boat. For reasons that I have never sorted out, the stern jumped out of the water, the boat took an immediate hard right and the bow fully submarined at 34mph. A massive wave crashed over the window and dang near washed me out of the boat before I could yank the throttle. Scared the crap out of me and the skier (who owned the boat). We wore the kill switch for the next few weeks, but the memory faded.

My only lanyard story is as follows- I have a 2002 American skier pro and every few months for the last few years I've have an intermittent electric problem(it dies) but after a few minutes it would start and go back to run great.By accident I messed with the lanyard and upon a closer look at it I noticed a slight bend in the part that holdes a button in , it was slighty warped and caused my problem.Got a new one and problem gone after years.

• Baller

On the river we used to put the boat in gear at idle, bungie the steering wheel so it went straight, and then we'd climb off the back and hold onto the platform and drag behind it as we came up on boats coming the other direction. When they got close, we'd duck our heads under the water. People would freak seeing a driverless boat. Don't think the lanyard would protect us from being 25 year old idiots. The funny thing was that you could steer it based on where you held on. So if you wanted to go right, both of you moved to the right side of the platform and vice versa. Hard to believe we never lost our grip on the boat. We'd have been screwed! lol

It's a wonder I'm still alive all the stupid stuff I have done in my life.

• Administrators
This thread has finally become stupid enough and off topic enough that I moved it into the members only section. Is it almost ski season yet?

• Baller
I taught ski lessons in College on Lake Conroe near Houston during my summer breaks. The people I worked for had a late 80's model Barefoot Centurion with a 200HP Merc outboard. 2000+ hour boat. I was coming in from an evening lesson running about 35mph in 20' of flat water when the steering cable snapped. Boat skipped once and then flipped and landed upside down. I was ejected and immediately swimming in life jackets, blood, and seat cushions. Just minor lacerations to my shoulder and head upon ejection. There was nothing I could have done to prevent it. I wasn't wearing the lanyard, but can't help but think of all the bad things that could have happened, and also how lucky I was. Lanyard isn't the worst idea

• Baller

I have my lanyard tied in a loop on the end and put my arm through it up past my elbow and ask the other guys to do the same. That gives you enough tether to turn and shorten the rope.

We don't do it all the time, but you never know when disaster strikes. Good habit to get into.