RTP.... Just how tight?

Wish

• Baller_
So playing with RTP and Reflex again. The one I liked ripped. I did make a pattern and can make a new one but will never find the same type rubber. Whether I make one or buy one, I was just wondering how tight over the top of the foot should it be?. Probably no consensus but thought I'd ask.

• Baller

Basically just needs to grip your foot enough, so that it doesn,t move back, if your back foot gets unweighted at any point while skiing, seeing that your heel will more than likely lift with rtp, in my experience, the base material or design is probably more important, I find the HO RTP quite good the the ridges at the front on the base, help prevent foot slippage.

For me it could be a question of how far into the RTP should your foot go ?

I have my RTP very tight. I have to jam my foot hard to get it all the way in, (if you miss you will cut between your two smallest toes). My rear foot will cramp if I leave it in for a whole set. I take my foot out occasionally during practice but not during a tournament set.

• Baller
Personal preference. Mine is pretty snug but I've known other skiers who have a lot more play in theirs. I don't tend to raise my heel of move around very much on the ski but if you ski with more heel raise then you'll want a looser RTP to allow for that motion. I prefer a one foot start so I jam my foot into the RTP once I'm up out of the water and pull it back out as I'm sinking back in after every pass.

• Baller
@thompjs I did the same thing. The neoprene foot pad on mine caused me to slip. I bought some anti-slip stair tread stuff. Basically sand paper with adhesive backing. I used to see this stuff on skis from the 70's and 80's. Old, simple, and still works great.

• Baller

I've run a D3 RTP since the early 90's. I start one foot in so easier on my back and then get my rear foot into the toe plate. I take it out while the line is getting shortened.

I can't recall ever coming out of it when I didn't want to, and I do lift my heel in the pre-turn as well. They seem to last forever. Given the memory in it, I clearly angle my rear foot a bit as well.

@razorskier1 has a similar size foot as mine, but he runs a way looser toe plate...not sure what brand for him.

• Baller

Mine still going strong after 6 years, D3 Leverage Standard. I also have 2 new ones because I think that they don't make standard any more.

The secret for lasting longer is to use shorter screws to ensure that the rubber is very tightly screwed on the plate and it would not be ripped.

• Baller
I have been/am an RTPer for life. I have mine tighter across the very top of my foot and looser in the toe; but, I also have a heal strap. The heal strap allows me to have it a little looser and not come out of it. I think this helps because I can get up on the ball of my foot and the upward pressure is on the rubber at the top of my foot nearer the ankle bone. I have experimented over time and noticed that when my toes are really wedged in; I have a tendency to wind up more on my back foot. Not sure why.