Perfect Pass

Keith_Menard

• Baller

At the end of last season I inquired about an upgrade, and told them my season was about done. They took the order, and called me back later saying...you said you don't need the boat, we have another upgrade in the pipeline...do you want to wait?

I said absolutely!

A few days ago they called, said the upgrade was ready. Today they shipped it out. Can't wait!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

December 12, 2016

New Version 9 Software for Star Gazer Three Event

Expected to be released in late January 2017, the newest version of software for Slalom Course Skiers has a number of significant enhancements:

Engagement is improved in short set ups (or with inexperienced overly aggressive drivers) by using a new calculation based on RPM, GPS Speed and Rate of Acceleration. This enables the system to more quickly zero in on the correct position for the Servo Motor.

The Calibration for RPM Baselines can now be performed “automatically” in open water in AUTO CAL MODE. Simply throttle up and system will engage and will set the baseline for 36 mph. It will then drop the set speed to 34 and repeat, etc. All baselines can be set in this mode in under 2 minutes.

Disengagement in the end turns for slower speed skiers has also been improved to make driving easier.

The user interface has been tweaked and is more intuitive and user friendly.

• Baller

@WBLskier I have a StarGazer 3 Event without the Z-Box. The unit which I installed 3 years ago includes 3 components; the control box mounted under the dash, the GPS sensor mounted under the dash forward of the windscreen and the servo motor. I am considering adding a Z-Box which I believe includes an accelerometer and settings that allow the skier to select what sort of pull they would like, similar to Zero Off.

The main reason I am considering adding the Z-Box is the boat over runs on speed when the lead-up to the course is short. The driver can compensate and pull the throttle back a little once the boat is on the plain to ensure the servo has less work to do. This makes a difference however it takes a driver that is familiar with the boat.

If you already have an older PP system you should be able to email PP with the details and they will advise what upgrade components you will need. I have found them to be very helpful.

• Baller_
@Rpc29 : Did they happen to price out an upgrade package for the PP Classic people, which would be 2 levels, with 2 line display and with single line display. Reason for question, also noted above, the upgrade to Stargazer has not always yielded great results and it seems like several people have simply stayed with classic to avoid the headaches of getting Stargazer calibrated and performing properly or they simply had no interest or knowledge of the upgrade. Of the 9 boats I ski behind, 3 are ZO, 4 PP classic, 1 Malibu system, 1 no speed control, none are Stargazer equipped. It would be interesting to see the actual PP distribution of classic. SG & SG + Z box.

• Baller
I was all excited to see this as it seems to be exactly what my boat needs. Then I saw the $150 price tag. It's not that I don't have $150, it's just that in today's world where all your microsoft, apple, etc. upgrades are free, it's tough to pay for a software upgrade just to try to get the product that you thought you were buying in the first place. I guess we will see just how desperate I get right around July when my setup starts getting shorter and shorter.

• Baller

+1 what @escmanaze said.

I still agree PP is a great company, their tech support has always emailed me back. Don't think I'll drop 150 for a upgrade my unit is less than a year old. I plan to run it in classic mode anyway.

• Baller
I agree, but also understand it's business, and they have been obsoleted out of the newer boats, their only relevancy is maintaining the service and customers that they have. When propriety went to Zero Off, they became more or less obsolete in regards to new product. Props to them for coming out with an update at all, and hopefully they can remain around until the next generation of speed control may come about, or the IP runs out on ZO.

• Baller
@unksskis That is a good point as well. I should probably be grateful that they are willing to do anything at all with slalom and not just completely focus on wakeboard stuff. With that train of thought, I should spend the $150 just to try to encourage them to see some money in the slalom market.

• Baller_

@DW, I think PerfectPass runs a great operation. If an update is out and you don't receive it in a new system you order after the update is available, I have to believe they would make it right. I would think the update is included in the systems sold after it is released.

As always, call and ask about what is included and explain what you want. They are really easy to deal with and as helpful as you would expect.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

@MISkier : They do run a great operation, I have dropped them a note &/or called for information / advice & they are always courteous and great with customer service.

@Lieutenant Dan : no worries, hopefully that will be one of the configurations available as depending on what you have, different components will be needed to upgrade to latest.

• Baller
@DW I emailed Max at skiertoskier.com and he confirmed that the latest software comes with any new upgrades. I may finally now pull the trigger on the Stargazer/Zbox upgrade myself. FYI if you belong to a ski club you can register as such on skiertoskier and get a discount and free shipping if you order via the web.

• Baller
@DW - I run PP StarGazer /Zbox version 8.004 R, just ordered the upgrade to version 9 for my 1997 Ski Nautique Bubble Back with GT-40. This setup works very good on this particular boat. I have no issues going directly from practice behind my old boat to a new 200, MasterCraft, Malibu or CP at tournaments. The last upgrade to v8.004R was a huge advance over the previous software and worth every penny. I expect v9 to be even better and easier to dial in.

• Baller
I have always been totally satisfied with the PO support. $150 is a drop in the bucket on what I spend on waterski gear annually. Glad that PP is continuing to support thaw SG product. From looking at the ZO puck failures etc it seems that they are pricing the upgrade fairly. YMMV.

• Baller

@Intheday don't get me started... try switching to classic mode

edit: the above comment was not a recommendation for Intheday to run classic. I meant, the goofy menu makes me cuss *!@#$ when I try to switch modes on SG.

• Baller
I ran version 9 in the course today for the first time and it was MUCH better! full course times were within .02 seconds (several were dead on) and the worst buoy times were .05 away from ideal. No rodeo rides, just a nice steady pull. Driving for my partner, I could definitely feel a difference as it engaged and it reacted faster to get to the appropriate RPM before entering the course. If anyone's been fighting stargazer and is on the fence about version 9, I'd say go for it!

• Baller
I took the boat out for the first time this weekend, and while I haven't tried it in slalom mode yet, I did use it for some free skiing in wakeboard mode. It is a world better for consistent speeds! Looking forward to giving it a whirl in the course!

• Baller

I'm on the fence about ordering Star Gazer from 6.5 NG. A fellow MC owner wants to upgrade to 6.5NG, so I'm checking with Max for my upgrade and if anyone remembers what an upgrade to 6.5 NG use to cost, please let me know. amonette516@comcast.net.

Thanks in advance

George A. Amonette

78 Water Oak Ln.

Jacksons Gap, Alabama

• Baller

Anymore experiences with version 9?

I'm currently on 8.005 and have no issues, but have a buddy with a similar boat and only the wakeboard edition. Thought we could double up on the upgrade.

Besides a better engagement into the course, are there any other enhancements, or improvements to the user interface that you like?