Binding placement with RTP vs double boots

Jaypro

• Baller

My experience was forward 1/4-3/8". I switched from double hardshells several years ago and went to a rear kick in. I attributed this move due to the rear upper cuff applying more forward pressure. Surprising by how much of a difference it was. When I initially put the RTP on, I didn't move the boots forward and the ski felt considerably faster.

• Baller
@ski6jones, depends entirely on the ski and who I have talked to. I rode a 68' maple 6.0 for a few years that was originally my Dad's and was set up by the Goat himself. I have no idea what stock settings were but I had my binding maxed forward and I skied into -38 at 36mph on it. I'm currently playing around with a 67' Mapple 6.0 that was set up for me by K.C. Wilson over at Radar and am riding the binding on the center hole. Again I have no idea what stock settings are. While it might not be a good thing not to know where stock settings on my ski are, I am not exactly running a "stock" body type either, at 5'8, 185lbs and a former competitive power lifter I think I break the mold for the body build of the average water skier.

• Baller

I've been trying a Radar HRT rear after riding double Vapors for several years. First sets I couldn't run a pass and definitely felt like moving the bindings forward would help. I moved the bindings forward 1/16" and it helped a little. The HRT has a pretty large tongue under laces that was really restricting movement of my rear foots arch. I unlaced the top set of loops and the ski felt much better even with the boots forward. Next ride I plan to move the boots back where I had them.

To the OPs question I've asked several people that run RTP and gotten different answers about binding position relative to stock. My experience so far indicates boots can cause you to stand differently on the ski and that might be the bigger issue.

Since I've never skied with an RTP I'm just trying to find my way through my first experience with one.

• Baller

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to tell if the manufacturers are recommending binding numbers for double boots or for the use of an RTP. So the real answer is that stock binding numbers are just a good starting point at best. Everyone should move their bindings around to find their personal sweet spot—no special tools required.

Generally speaking, double boots tend to cause skiers to carry more weight on their rear foot than is the case with an RTP, but this isn't an absolute. Plenty of RTP users are way too heavy on the back foot too. But if you are changing from a double boot to an RTP, it will most likely behave like a forward binding move, but by a different amount for each individual.

• Baller

To follow up on my post from above it seems the HRTP was holding my foot in a position different than my rear vapor. Once I got that sorted as described above I'm running the exact same settings and skiing about as well as with my rear vapor.

So in my case it was more about how the bindings were making me stand. Without the change that freed up my rear foot a move forward would have been in order.