Horton

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller_

@tobyg83, excellent height and trajectory on the ski, too.

Note the rope in the second picture. Interesting angle at the 28 off section with all the rope laying on the water.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@o2bnMaine does your post processing do cropping too? Wonder how well it works for getting a little closer view of the skier for coaching. Seems really cool. Wonder if the app will continue to work for processing or if they'll be killing it. I would love to replace the smartphone/skidoc setup I have now with something like that, especially if I can figure out a way to smartly start/stop it on throttle up/down.

• Baller

@UWSkier It is tough to answer this one. I think the answer to your question is, Yes, but I want to say, No. Technically, the post-processing will do cropping. I have never used it because the image quality degrades quickly as you zoom in.

I currently am using a unsupported microSD, which means I can't record with the 5.8k 360-degree feature. I'm stuck with just using 4k 360-degrees. (aside: I made the mistake of using the Rylo-supported microSD card when I rebuilt a Raspberry Pi and I've been too lazy to remedy this)

This doesn't mean you get 4k resolution like you would think from a regular phone camera because the total resolution is calculated on a 360-degree image/video. I THINK that I'm already zooming in digitally during my post-processing. I THINK the quality would be better if I could use the 5.8k feature.

While post-processing, you can zoom out to show the "planet" or in to show the perspective I usually show for the skier. The final zoomed-in notch I use seems like it is digitally enhanced meaning it is already compromised.

I think the Rylo does great for 32-off and shorter. Any longer the rope length and the skier starts to get small fast. 15-off, the skier if very very small and there's not much I can do about it without losing image quality.

https://support.rylo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000883733-Which-SD-cards-are-compatible-with-Rylo-

I've said it before, stay away from getting a Rylo. The company isn't maintaining the product anymore. The above "supported card" page keeps running out of available options. The supported microSD cards aren't active products anymore. Fewer and fewer are actually available.

Also, in the Florida heat, the camera overheats too frequently, in my opinion.

The third complaint I have is that Rylo isn't waterproof and when using the waterproof case, it fogs up too much.

I'm curious about trying out either the GoPro Max or the Insta360 modular camera next. It is supposed to be waterproof. https://store.insta360.com/product/one_r

I swear by using the 360-degree cameras for filming my snowboarding and skiing. I ski with just a driver. We can record the entire session and then I can process where to point the camera later. This is a great feature as you don't have to worry about someone screwing up the filming -- you just have to remember to hit record. ;-)

• Baller
@Horton, are you sure ULM didn't get that slogan from J.P. and/or Billy Allen at Sac State? I know the crowd at nationals hosted by ULM crowned Steve Zineo the coolest when he fired straight sideways off the ramp into the setting sun and launched into the ULM band, wasting a bass drum and the tuba player, tearing his ACL (IIRC), only to slap his jumpers back on and PB on his next attempt. That was Circa 1991 I think. Might have been 1992, those days are kinda hazy for me. I can't remember which year was Millegeville and which was ULM.

• Administrators

@jjackkrash the slogan became a thing when Jane Tully (Greenwood) made insanely cool t-shirts with that slogan. I was on the ULM/NLU team from 1988 to 1993. Billy Allen and I did not ski collegiate at the same time. I knew Billy well.

I was at Milledgeville nationals. I nearly screwed up my trick run and remember it clearly. I still have nightmares about it.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@Horton I skied for Chico those same years and was Captain in 1991. Horton lakes was my first tournament ever; IIRC (but not sure at this point) that was the one JP ran 38 and there was no next loop on the rope so the driver drove him back to the doc and announced he finished the game. That was also the first time I saw a little girl named Rhoni trick skiing and realized I was not and never would be all that talented. Good times.