The fate of my sons future slalom career depends on you!

ScarletArrow

• Baller

The past week I went to Florida for spring break and did some skiing. I took my kids to see Jodi Fisher to get some 3-event coaching and we got my 6 year old son (7 in 11 days) up on slalom for the first time (off the boom).

Jodi spent a lot of time trying to figure what would be the best foot forward for him... After all his ski destiny is going to be set with this decision without him fully realizing the implications.

Turns out, he can get up and ski across the lake comfortably with either foot forward. He kicks a soccer ball with his right, but he says it feels more comfortable with his LFF. Jodi seemed to favor RFF, but there were positive indicators for both. We left without a decision.

I wouldn't mind him being LFF - myself and my other two kids are LFF so it would be easier to share gear and I don't have to think "backwards" when coaching him. On the other hand, my strong leg is definitely my right even though I ski LFF. I can balance on it far better when I'm in the gym and it's no surprise that my biggest issue when skiing is not enough balance on my front foot.

I'm sure I would be winning Big Dawgs today if I would have just started RFF all those years ago. ;)

So what say you? Go with the obvious strong foot forward and let him adapt, or go based on what feels comfortable today? I'm leaning one way, but the internet is never wrong.

• Baller
I'm interested in the responses. My sons 16 months old and as it's my grand plan to make him the next Nate Smith (Lol) I've been watching him and he's definitely left handed and is LFF. I'm curious how that may change as he gets older.

• Baller_
This one is easy! Stand behind your son. Tell him to close his eyes with his feet together. Then gently give him a push. Watch what foot he steps out on!! Do this three times, which ever foot he steps forward with will determine what foot goes forward.. key to this is not to tell him what you are doing. This has worked for both my children!

• Baller
I like the idea of working it both ways...but if your looking to choose sooner than later it may likely be his plant foot for skateboarding or riding a scooter. My 7 year old son is not on a slalom ski yet, but tested as per above LFF and plants with his left when skateboarding and riding a scooter. I wonder how may skiers plant different on a skateboard, scooter or snowboard vs how they ski?

• Baller

I ski RFF. Can't ski LFF to save me.

I snowboard LFF and kick a soccerball with my R and write with my R hand. I have friends who are completely opposite to me. Treat each sport or activity on its own and don't let it influence others as each is completely different in balance requirements and so on

• Baller_

I wonder if the question really is: would you rather have him pull through the gates into an offside turn at 1 ball and then offside pull to 2 ball (RFF) or would you rather have him pull through the gates into an onside turn at 1 ball followed by an onside pull to 2 ball (LFF)?

The advantages of each can be debated. But, the criticality of having the right gate and start to your pass usually is not.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

We still have some time here in Ohio before we're on the water, so we're having fun with all of the different techniques of finding the "right" foot. Of course Jodi went through some of them as well.

What is interesting - and the reason for the post - is that different tests are yielding different results.

I just want to make sure we get it right. We've only got one shot at this. Podium finishes, scholarships, endorsements, sponsorships, BOS front page exposure, exotic travel and fame are all at stake. /s

• Baller

Left foot forward skiers who are right handed tend to be more back foot dominate. If he's right handed I'd make him a RFF skier. This has played out with my kids who are all right handed, with two being LFF and one being RFF. If I had it to do over I'd have made them all RFF no doubt.

(Full disclosure. This came from a dock discussion with KLP and Andy at a Big Dawg tourney. You may blow off my recommendation, but take theirs for what it's worth... which is a lot.)

• Baller

LFF ... only 2 offside turns in the course vs. 3, can make up for a crappy gate with a decent one ball, and if you screw up 4 you can hammer a 5 ball turn and coast around 6 out the gate...

I would hypothesize that LFF skiers get more 1 1/2-2 scores on their hardest pass then a RFF skiers who would get more 1/2-1 scores...

• Baller

Wayne Grimditch use to comment that Kjellander got the extra benefit of 3 good side turns vs RFF guys. Makes sense. I have run too many 5-ball passes with a hurried or crappy offside turn at 5. If it was my onside turn, I can get to about anything for one more buoy or a half. But us RFF folks get an easier gate pull, whether setup correctly in the glide or not. At least that is what it seems like to me with the LFF skiers I ski with.

I use the bump from behind, but my kids were easy to tell on the micro skateboards, the ones with handles. One was RFF and one LFF and that is exactly how they skied.

• Baller

I'm right handed, RFF, and am fairly confident that when I was starting this sport I likely could have figured it out either way. I'd try both ways and just see what feels more comfortable but I would imaging a right handed person would feel better RFF.

As a former college skier I can anecdotally agree with @MrJones that when I have seen a skiers handedness and foot forward disagree they tend to be back foot heavy. This is backed up by those skiers typically saying "I learned at my uncles cabin and he always said put your strongest foot in back, and lean back".

• Baller

What "tests" were used? I am a strong believer that the dominant balance foot goes in front. Here are two tests to determine the balance foot:

1) Have the beginner stand very close to a sturdy chair or tall box or tall platform which will support their weight. Then ask them to step up onto it, but rise up very slowly. During the process of stepping up, the person is in an unbalanced state. Thus, the person naturally puts their balance foot up on the chair/box/platform to best stabilize themselves while rising and stepping up.

2) Have the beginner stand in a clear flat area with their feet together. Move around behind them. Ask them to hold their arms out to the side (just a distraction). Then, firmly push them forward by pushing on the center of their back. The beginner will step forward using their balance foot to regain stability from the push. This "push from behind method" can work too, but you have to be safe, centered and the push must be unexpected.

I have tested a lot of beginners (100's) and can count on 1 hand the number of times that I got mixed results using both methods on the same skier.

• Baller
@ToddL, I don't like the push from behind method since they use the same test for snowboarding footedness and I step with my left and am certainly comfortable as a LFF snowboarder but I think my scores speak for themselves that I am a very comfortable RFF slalom skier.

• Baller

I like the push from behind method as well. I am right handed but I play hockey/golf left, and ski left foot forward. Even in Olympic lifting I am left foot dominate. Try having him quickly move one foot forward and one foot back in a jumping motion, this might present a more comfortable foot forward.

Another way to phrase it, what is more comfortable for him. He may have the ability to use either foot, but one way might feel more natural.

• Baller

I haven't put a lot of thought towards that at all. As I said earlier in the thread, I think I likely could have figured it out either way but I really like having an onside pull for my gate and then despite my footedness, 3 ball might actually be my best buoy. I can come into 3 fast and late and coast into 4 ball 20 feet early.

My issue with the standing push test is two fold though

1. If the push is even slightly directional or in other words would twist the recipients body then the twist will likely determine which foot would step

2. I could be wrong but I know that I stand loaded to my right foot and I would assume most people stand somewhat loaded to their dominant foot so the fastest step is to step with your non-dominant foot because you don't need to unweight it as much before you can step.

• Baller

With feet together and arms out to the side, you will likely not be loading either foot, just centered. That's the starting point of the push test. Yes, if the pusher is not centered in the pushing motion, it can influence but only if significantly out of center. A slightly out of center push doesn't make that big of deal.

The skier's salute (lifting one combo ski at a time) works well, too. However, there is bias in this method too if not properly explained/executed. I tell the skier to get up on combos. Next, move their body (COM) until centered over the left ski. Now, lift the right ski and see if they can hold it up while skiing only on the left ski. Return to the normal skiing position. Now, move their body (COM) until centered over the right ski, then lift the left one. It is key that the skier is first centering their body over the ski before lifting the other one. That will ensure a true comparison as to which single ski they can ride on for the longest/smoothest.

I've seen uninformed skiers attempt the salute and never move their COM over each ski. It is a mess that doesn't provide any real insight.

• Baller
I'm confused. Do some of you think you got to choose which foot you put forward? I don't think it matters what foot you kick a ball with or right or left handed. Some of these posts are weird. I think the push from behind method should work for 99% of skiers/ boarders.

• Baller
@MNshortliner - are you referring to the skier's salute method? I think @eddie_roberts_jr 's comment about choosing which foot feels better is less about getting to choose and more about discovering that one foot has better balance than the other and thus "feels" better.

• Baller
If he is doing good on both at 7 years old just starting off then go with RFF. It will help a ton with his gate which is a crucial part of the slalom course. I am LFF not a good slalom skier but I wish I was RFF. Someone mentioned LFF skiers get more bouy´s!? Lets just take a look at todays top slalom skier. Nate, Freddie Winter, Thomas Degsperi, Will Asher, Adam Sedelmajer (World Champ 3 event skier but a heck of a good slalom skier) Corey Vaughn ALL RFF including Andy Mapple and all have run 41off. I am sure I have forgotten someone. There will be an exception here and there but RFF would be the right choice no doubt about it. There worse thing you could do is to decide because it would make it easier with your other kids and they could share gear. If you think that way why make the question? RFF final answer.

• Baller

I did some testing this weekend and here are my results... (BTW, for those of you who think I'm nuts and overthinking this - I'm just having fun with it. We're almost ready to ski in Ohio and he'll be in a rubber binding to start off so we can go either direction.)

If you use the push from behind test... LFF

If you use the Razor scooter test... RFF

If you use the jump and land on one foot test... LFF

If you use the stand on a chair test... RFF

If you use the pick up a combo ski test... undecided - to weak to really lift of any significance.

If you use the slide across the kitchen floor test... RFF (though I made him do it LFF and he couldn't decide what he like better)

When I straight up asked him him on the dock - which foot forward do you want... LFF

Clearly my son is gifted! B) (or confused) I'll probably force him to go one way for a set; then switch on the following set until he starts voicing an opinion.

• Baller

I did leave it up to him and he would randomly put in a foot each set.

Eventually started asking him while he was skiing from the boom which one he liked better.

The "skateboard test" seems to apply here... LFF.

He can run the mini-course now at 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18.

Skiing will be on hold for a couple of weeks as he decided to smash his face into the corner of the granite kitchen counter top requiring 10 stitches. :'(

• Baller

Interesting thread.

Here's my history...

I ski LFF.

I prefer to bat left.

I play golf right, but putt left. (I probably should be a left handed golfer, but learned as a kid to play right handed golf) [1]

I play hockey left handed.

I prefer to ice skate and cut to the left more comfortably than to the right.

I skate board with my right foot on the board, and my left leg pushes. (RFF on a skate board)

I'm left eyed.

I'm right handed.

I prefer to ski LFF with left palm up. (I know, so weird)

I do a running long jump and plant my left foot to leap from.

I prefer to kick a soccer ball with my right. (I suck at kicking with my left)

I trick LFF.

I hate wakeboarding.

When barefooting, I feel more comfortable letting go with my left hand, holding the handle with my right hand.

[1] I want to elaborate on the golf swing.

I grew up with my Dad teaching me golf. We always had right handed clubs of course.

So after many years, I feel comfortable hitting a golf ball right handed.

But, I feel if I grew up hitting golf balls as a kid left handed, I would it hit 30 yards further.

At the end of the day, let the skier pick.

I don't care that the current top skiers in the world are RFF, advantage or disadvantage doesn't matter... they are comfortable being RFF.

• Baller

Dude, listen to your kid:

April 2: "he says it feels more comfortable with his LFF"

April 9: "When I straight up asked him him on the dock - which foot forward do you want... LFF"