First experience with Masterline

JAG

• Baller

My old slalom rope and handle was looking pretty shabby after five solid years of use and my clubie's were giving me weird looks when I would slap it on the pole, so thought I would get a new Masterline.

Nice website

Easy to order

Then wait, and wait.

I finally called today to see what's up and I find out the handle (Carbon Custom) is on hold.

I was hoping to have the new rope and handle last weekend. (ordered 5/25), but now it looks like the earliest I'll have it is 6/17. :(

It would have been nice to see notification on their site "Item is on Backorder", so I could have had another choice.

I'm sure it's a great product, but it would have been nice to know before ordering.

thanks,

• Baller
I had the same experience with them last summer. Took 2 months to get a wet suit, I expressed to the owner that the website should have shown backorder and he pretty much told me it was the busy season and a two month wait was standard. I will never order anything from them again.

• Baller
Have heard/seen that before but I love Masterline products. If you waited 4 years, 1 month shouldn't be a problem (sorry, couldn't help it). I just get a new rope and handle each year from them and they'd probably last at least 2 years or more. Great products. The high end rope can be used right out of the bag and you'll barely feel any stretch.

• Baller

Hi Jag,

This is neat as I am very interested in your approach. Specifically as I am interested when you "slap it on the pole". I only get 6 months out of a handle and rope and you are at 5 years.

With your new "slap it on the pole" technique, I could get up to 5 years out of a handle? Sign me up!

Could you post a tutorial with a narrative of the super secret handle life extending technique of "slap it on the pole"? Maybe snapchat/twitter/facebook and some write up? youtube video too? this could be gear changing for some of us!

Of course you would get all the credit and copyright while I deploy your technique and proudly announce "hey guys, watch me slap it on the pole".

• Baller
I just ordered a new mainline from Brenda at Intow. I had to ask her to wait a few days longer to ship it because it would beat me home from vacation. I have never had to wait longer than one week for any product I've ordered from her.

• Baller

@scoke

"slap it on the pole"......probably a poor choice in words with this esteemed group. :)

How about, "we pre-treat the loop end with Rope Magic preservative before we allow our sacred ML mainline anywhere near the officially measured Malibu ski pole" ? LOL

Five year lifespan? Yeah. Brenda rope and handle. Chewed up pretty good but still intact.

We're mostly 15-32 offer's; not anywhere near the pros on this site. :(

@JAG we have been inundated with orders over the last couple of weeks. We are backordered on the handle bars, but are expecting more by the end of the week. Our website currently doesn't have inventory tracking turned on as we build most products to order anyway. The site would always say "out of stock". If you had ordered 2 weeks earlier, the particular handle would more than likely have been in stock. Sorry for your wait.

• Baller
I owned and ran an internet business for many years. I recommend to anyone if you haven't gotten a tracking # for an order within a few days to contact the vendor. During heavy seasons it can get really busy and mistakes can be made. Better as a customer to get on top of the problem and make a decision to wait or look elsewhere. In fact if its something you need quickly I'd recommend calling or email as a follow up to an order to let the seller know.

• Baller
We just made our first order with ML about a week ago. 2 handles and a rope shock absorber. Obviously its ML quality but they did engrave my dads name on both handles. Called them and had a replacement with my name on it the next morning. Couldn't be happier ordering from them

• Baller

Masterline has strict standards. Sometimes it may take a little extra time to nuild the

Product. They are not going to cut corners and put out a subpar product. If another company can ship a rope in a couple of days this tells me that the volume is not there so is the quality and the standards there? I doubt that. I've skied with an in tow and the rope was out of tolerance and amd looked very cheaply made.

As always you get what you pay for.

• Baller

@ScottScott Well, I've been a senior judge and a TC for several years. When I measured our tournament ropes this weekend, I also measured my personal ropes. One rope purchased last November had been skied on about 10 sets and it was on the extreme short side of tolerance. Another with a month of skiing was 12 to 18cm too long at all line lengths. The ones purchased for the tournament were good with minor amounts of tweaking required.

In general, I've had good experience with ML, but it's up to you as the end user to confirm rope specs. Lesson learned.

• Baller

Hey All, Alot of content above....wanted to offer some input as an online retailer / brick and mortar store / person who buys from Masterline.....

First...online ordering. Obviously this is a growing way customers want to order as its easy and you can do it on your own terms..timing. Communication back to the customer...confirming the order status and communicating any problems is a huge part of customer service. Its pretty amazing how alot of online stores refuse to communicate timely. And while we are FAR from perfect...we strive to communicate with our customers after we receive orders and update you if its been filled. If there are issues with it not being available to ship...we have the obligation to let you know timely and offer options: Drop shipping the product, other similar products or to cancel the order with you. Again, the key here is to "Communicate". Let me say once again...we are not perfect by any means, but we strive to offer timely response to questions-orders. Typically if you order online...expect email as the "chosen form" of communication back...if you want to be called back with any issues......mention it in your comments. It helps prioritize it with us. I say this as alot of customers simply don't want to be bothered with a phone call when they order online... also with different time zones etc sometimes its simply not good to call someone on the west coast at 8:30 am eastern std time. Again, just overviews here....but bottom line...communication and customer service go hand in hand.

ORDERING DIRECT FROM MANUFACTUERS: Regarding ordering direct from Masterline... as a person who buys from them on a wholesale level....they are SO busy right now....that even with our store orders....if we need something right away, or have a deadline to get something out...from March - late September their peak season, I would tell you that you HAVE to call them and verify they have it / can get it out. Again, part of the reason stores like ours are around is that we are in the business of providing customer service / accurate information on orders and fufillment. While I realize that manufacturers feel they need to sell direct to consumers....the old saying "you can't be everything to everybody" resonates. That said, still should be no excuses from any business for timely followup...good news or bad news.

Pick up the phone: If you want the best response / immediate feedback when placing an order....pick up the phone and call the store you work with. Again, in today's world of online sales/ emails etc.....while its easier on some level... there simply is no substitute for speaking directly to someone...either on the phone or by coming into the store. You get immediate feedback to all your questions....and if there are availability issues..you can know right away..options can be offered and we all move forward. Again...shouldn't need to make excuses for online ordering...but as someone who works in the store day in / day out....we can offer alot more immediate options / answers when you come into the store or call us personally..

Sorry for rambling..... I love Russell, Randy, Bob, and the crew at Masterline. I also know they DO care about their customers...but they are simply crazy busy this time of year. They also are constantly chasing down parts / products to build their gear....and there can be delays due to the nature of all they have going on. I also know that sometimes they have referred customers to us sometimes when they realize they can't fufill orders when customers need them. It all boils down to effective communication.... Good Customer Service shouldn't suffer in any of these situations... Hope this offers some insight. We are here to help if we can...or you don't get the answers you need. Bill @ Performance Ski and Surf. www.perfski.com

• Baller
@Kelvin and @dave2ball Yes we have had that happen. Measure and use in a tournament. After the event, put that rope away to be used at the next event in a month. Pull it out, and a quick check, it is out short. Soak it in water for half a day, and good as new.

• Administrators

Keep in mind people this is a small sport and ski companies are very small companies. MasterLine might be slow getting product out the door right now but that is because they make the best stuff and this time of year everyone wants it.

I am not saying I would be happy with slow delivery. I am saying that Russell is NOT sitting on his dock drinking beer while your order is getting dusty.

• Baller
I just walk in and pick it up.... Their 5 section rope is on sale, I stopped in a couple weeks ago and picked up a couple (for long liners like me, thats a great value....I'll go through a dozen of those before I ever need that 35' off loop.) Was looking for a smaller diameter handle a couple months ago, and I stopped in and tried a couple.... they made it up for me in about 15 minutes....no wait. Nice to be able to support a local business AND buy from the best ski rope maker in the business (and best ski shop also, in Performance.....though I'm much closer to Masterline.)

• Baller
So, just about as this thread was started, I also placed an order for a carbon custom handle. Immediately after placing the order, I read the post and thought, "Aw crap, how long will I have to wait?" Well, now a couple of days later, I receive two e-mails from Masterline saying my handle was shipped- that was a pleasant surprise. Maybe they were only out of one size bar, but I'm pretty happy with Russell and his crew...

@Nando Thanks for your support and patience. The majority of the orders we receive are turned around quickly. We received yours on the 5th and shipped on the 8th as you noted. Most of our orders are shipped within this time frame. We do have a shortage of some handle diameter's that will be back in stock by Monday of next week. A large percentage of the products we make are custom. Colors, Lengths, Engravings, Diameters, Special combinations etc. We offer many services that other companies don't. All of our products from Vests, suits, skis, ropes and handles are customizable. We do the best to turn around orders as fast as possible. Many orders are shipped within a few days if not quicker. We have control of many of our materials, but we have had some issues with vendors supplying us. There aren't a big selection of rubber molders wanting to make water ski bars for the price most want to pay, for example. We have grown and we are working hard to update our processes and we have increased our staff to accommodate the sales. We thank you for your patience and I think that most will find that their order is shipped very efficiently and we will continue to improve on that.

• Baller

Googling 'usgear customer service' was actually how I found this website in the first place. It saved me from ordering 2 handles.

As for masterline, I purchased my first handle and rope from them last year and love them both and will be only buying masterline from now on! I order everything when my lake is frozen anyway so I don't have to wait and it makes me look forward to the next season even more. :)

• Supporting Member
Thumbs up for Masterline I have ordered trick skis and handles and ropes. All great quality. As for customer service Russell himself discussed with me which ski I should get and why. Owner, one of the best skiers in the world, and takes time to make sure I got the right thing.

• Baller
@JAG, you made a good point, then we kind of took it and ran it into the ground, but what was surprising was my experience in ordering the same product (different size, I'm guessing), apparently within minutes of your original post- it went from ordering to my mailbox in four days, with four e-mails to inform me of the order's status. Plus, we got the company owner to enter the discussion on BOS- clearly they're paying attention.

• Baller

Got my InTow rope/handle last night. In the box was a personal letter from Brenda :)

a nice t-shirt, can insulator and a new Spectra Radius handle, with a cross guard.

Best of all, she included a stamped pre-addressed envelope to send the check to.

I'll try it out tonight. From order to my door......three days.