Are we seeing more "pro" events?

Wish

• Baller_
Seems like every time I hit social media or this site, there's another "pro" stop with a cash prizes. Are there just more of them in the last couple years. Canadian Open is being advertised on FB as well as an Andy Mapple Memorial stop in Europe. This is great but man the summer schedule for pros must be very hectic.

• Baller
Well I'm not sure if there's more stops or not because nowhere have I been able to find a schedule online. I do find a few events on BOS but seems like I only find out by Facebook the Sunday night AFTER the event which is usually local.

• Administrators
@Orlando76 you have just described one of my greatest frustrations. This website is now the biggest media source in the sport and it drives me nuts that there are pro events that won't send me so much as a basic announcement

• Baller
@Horton the info is available if you know where to look for it. On the usawaterski website there is a tab on the left for "events and registration" under that tab is a "master calander" it list dates and location for big events. In some cases several years out. It might not be easy......but it is there.

• Administrators

@Wish might have been funny but I can't decipher the joke. (still a point of frustration - the subject not your disregard for the English language )

@NTX (please read with spoon full of sarcasm) so you want me to scour the intertubes looking for details of Pro events? These events are paid for by sponsors who are looking for promotion but I have to go looking for the details so fans besides the folks on site know what is going on?

If the promoters want access to this audience they have to undergo the HUGE task of writing a press release and emailing it to me. I know this is totally unreasonable but I do everything I can to not promote water skiing. (End sarcasm)

• Baller
@Horton I was wondering why I kept hearing about events after the fact. The event promoters for sure should be putting press releases out. Also you would think USA waterski would want to put a press release out ahead of time. They always seem to put out releases on winners of events afterwards.

• Baller_
I get this is a sore spot for you @Horton. Agree that it's mind boggling why events like these are not being promoted here. It's why I started the thread. That and to give a positive vibe that things are looking up. It's not a tour like the 80s and 90s but I think things are better now for pros then 5 yrs ago. As for my English...you have to read between the lines I guess to get the joke. Just didn't want this to go down a rabbit hole of negative posts perhaps compounding the problem so an obvious failure at levity on my part.

• Administrators
@MattP is the calendar incorrect? If you have corrections please send them along. My gripe is not about calendar dates it's about tournament organizers not promoting the events. It is painfully easy to get your news out to the masses by simply sending me a logo and a couple of concise sentences in English.

• Baller

@Wish I would have to agree that things are looking up. As a world and as a sport, I don't think we have ever been so virtually connected to one another and news travels faster now than it did 10 years ago.

Maybe I'm just being an optimist here, but the 2017 Swiss Pro Finals video on YouTube has over 8,000 views. That's a good amount of traffic for a single day event that wasn't advertised on prime time television.

Anytime you can provide numbers to your potential sponsors, its a good thing. It helps them get over the "you want how much money to sponsor a waterski tournament?!?!?!" response. It's the same way with advertisement rates for tv ads or here on BOS.

As a sport, I do believe that we are moving forward. We've been in the stone age for so long (M1, M2, W1, W2 skiers don't need a regional guide, they need info on where they can practice and who they can get pulls with), but I think we are finally starting to actually connect on a social level in the sport and that is a great thing.

• Baller

Ok point proven. Lake 38 this weekend, some hype Nate is going to try for 3@43 again. If @skiep didn't mention it I would've forgotten about it. The only time I've seen that tournament mentioned was once on FB because I follow Lake 38, here, and the thread where Nates record was turned down.

Jacks and Swiss are the worst about not announcing tournaments and they're 15 minutes from me, I would love to stop by those events after skiing, get some inspiration but I never know when.

@MattP linked the BOS calendar, I check it often but like Horton was saying not even a basic announcement on some events so he can't even post. Can I make a suggest on the calendar? The font and color makes the events almost impossible to see, is that something on my end or so others have a hard time seeing it too?

@Horton @MattP and others that may help (Mrs. Horton, Buford) thanks for site and the opportunities it provides, we all appreciate and it's our best online resource.

• Baller
Apparently the skiers can find the info. Perhaps they're directly recruited/contacted but they are showing up to ski. That said, fully agree it would be simple to pass along the info to @Horton to make sure they get all the promotion they can.