Thoughts on Tip Pressure

JAG

• Baller

I've been in a funk on my offside turns (RFF) for way too long, so wanted to try something different.

Most often, the ski doesn't come around, and try as I might, I can't keep the rear foot from slamming down on the tail and stalling any progress. Bending the knees doesn't really work for me but maybe I could concentrate on the ankles.

But.....I have Draft bindings which are tight and limit much vertical foot movement. I decided to loosen the strings a bit and see if I could lift up off my toes in the pre-turn, flexing the ankles, (and the knees should follow) and hold it as the ski comes around.

I was pleasantly surprised how nicely the ski finished the turn, the tip was lover and it held better angle to balls 2,4,6.

It worked maybe 3 out of 20 turns :( but maybe it's something I can practice at.

• Baller
I had a draft boot last year and changed ski and boot this year. Yes the ski has a lot to do with it, but my forward pressure and offside is much better with my new Vapor boot. I am a snow skier, and now my boot gives me the confidence and comfort of being in my snow ski boot.

• Baller
If your bindings are already stock or forward, then try this. As you edge change heading to 1-3-5, think "move left hip forward over your right foot". It is nearly impossible to do, but attempting so will do a lot of good. You will move COM forward, you will rise up, you will maintain more outbound direction, you will control speed, you will have more tip pressure, you will be leading with hips, and you will start the turn with more ski in the water.

• Members
I loved my Connelly Hinge front boot that evolved into the Draft. Skied on it for over a decade. I used the rear Hinge for 4 passes and discarded it. As you describe, I couldn't flex back foot forward and gain a stance that kept the tip down in turn. Went back to my soft rubber rear and problem solved. I still use the same soft rear boot with a front Reflex. I think it was from my 2000 KD CR7. 17 years, lots of replacement laces and still going.

• Baller
Good advice here on technique ques @JAG. Another option to try would be to simply move the whole fin forward. Start with. 010". You'll know when you've gone too far forward when tip pressure starts to spike unexpectedly (tip-grab).