Current adapter

jcamp

• Baller
Do you mean to keep the arms straight against the current? If you have much current it ain't easy. I've seen anchors on each turn buoy. I've also seen cable or rope connected from buoys back to the main line.

• Baller

We used 5 lb, bell-shaped anchors at each turn ball. First, we installed the course, then we attached one end of a rope to the anchor and the other to the end of each pole where the turn ball attaches, pointed the boat upstream, pulled until the arm was straight, and dropped the anchor. It worked when we put the anchor in the right place, but we hardly ever got the anchor in the right place. To get it right, you need a second, non-floating rope off each anchor, and you need to use this rope to drag the anchor into the right spot and set the anchor down gently. To eliminate guesswork, you need a second boat or a person on shore, so an observer can tell you when the arm is straight. When you're pulling upstream and guessing where to drop the anchor, you rarely get the anchor in the right place, and it will ruin your day.

We did OK with this method, but it took so much time to set up and take down that we eventually gave up and moved out of the river and back onto the lake. We loved the isolation of the river, but set-up time, plus the occasional log floating through the course, made it more trouble than it was worth.

• Baller
Disclaimer - no personal experience, just a brainstorm idea: Seems like the arms could be adjusted so that they are out of tolerance towards one end. When that end is faced up current, the current will push the arms back into tolerance. Something like that might work if the current is very stable and consistent.

• Baller

TTT

I recently came into Possession what I believe is an insta slalom river current adapter.

Anyone used one who can explain how to deploy?

The has rope has clips on it with numbers I assume indicate which buoy. I haven't unwound the reel enough to confirm but this could have the 2 adapters on it (for tidal currents)based on how much rope and clips there are.

We put our course into a bigger lake and the wind can build chop from any direction so this may help. Also adds another element of effort and something to go wrong...

• Baller

@BrennanKMN the issue with that idea Is think is that the mainline isn't rigid like the turn buoy arms.

This is 1 continuous line that I assume goes from the entrance gates to each turn ball.

I'm just not sure how best to deploy and I'm not sure I even want to.

My issue is we use a portable course but leave it in for 4 months. It can get windy and quite wavey and the current course I have the arms are warped permanently from the many years it's been in the lake for 4 months a year getting hammered by waves.

• Baller
I'm pretty sure the current adapter attaches to the mainline where the gate diamond is. Can't remember exactly where it attaches. Then it goes out to the end of the arm on the 1 ball, then the line goes straight down river to the end of the arm on the 3 ball, then 5 ball. Another line goes from the gate diamond center line to the 2 ball, then to the 4 ball, then to the 6. Same concept as what @BrennanKMN is describing to hold the arms square. But different rope path.