Knees soft after the wakes

skispray

• Baller
I'm working on 32 off (36 mph) and on my last set I felt like I was carrying too much speed into the turns. I decided to think about keeping my knees soft after the wakes to help initiate an early edge change. This seemed to help so I'm wondering if this is a good and necessary change in technique, or if it's something I'm doing to compensate for something else in my technique that's less than ideal. I don't feel a need to do this at 28 off and longer but the speed generated through the wakes at 32 seems a notch higher so in order to make a decent turn I'm needing a more abrupt edge change. Does anyone else do this to help get the ski on an inside edge after the wakes?

• Baller_
Edge change location, sooner or later, is a result and something that happens almost on its own if things go well from ball to wake. If you are having to make the edge change happen, it's probobly something else that could be as far back as the pull out for the gate. Video would be helpful. :)

• Baller

If you are ski tweaking, and your isolated problem is hot into the ball...add a degree of wing. Primary function of wing (it has others) is drag into the ball. It's also the easiest to adjust so if you don't like it, go back to where you are now.

36/32 is a fun pass.

• Baller

I feel "fast" when I lose outbound direction off the 2nd wake. I feel "slow" when I maintain outbound direction off the 2nd wake. Ironically, in both cases, the ski's actual speed is not much different. When, I maintain outbound direction, I reach the buoy line sooner and feel like I have more "time" to move COM forward prior to the turn.

So, consider that maybe what you perceive as too fast is just lost direction. When you soften your knees for the edge change you are possibly initiating the edge change with your lower body while keeping your upper body strong. This will improve outbound direction. Another thing to think about during and immediately after the edge change is to "hide" the outside shoulder (right shoulder approaching 1-ball) from the boat while keeping elbows on the vest. This should also help maintain outbound direction.

It has been mentioned that speed in the right direction is what makes load and width easier.

• Baller

I'm currently running 32@36 about 80%, last season it was 100%. I generally try not to be coming into a ball at 1,000mph but when I do make that error at any line I have a pair of fixes that fairly consistently save my ass.

first, to avoid the issue, do your work at the ball, get after it the moment you connect at the buoy. This is the point where the boat has the least on you because you are beside it not behind it. From the buoy allow the boat to start bringing you up so you are tall through the wakes and that will put you early to the ball. This sounds different than traditional coaching of 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 but in reality it is a different interpretation. My load is 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 but my lean is at its max while my load is at its minimum.

Second to fix the mistake of coming into the buoy with your ass on fire: soft knees might be right but do it the right way. When I come into a buoy hot I flex my front ankle and press my front knee as far forward over my toes as I can which puts the tip in the water and slows the ski not to mention start the turn. Second step is to get the handle in front of yourself in the reach, like a foot in front of you. This means that when you turn the handle is already in front of you and it should help minimize your slack line. I'm not saying it'll be pretty but the ski will turn and you at least have a shot at the next buoy.

• Baller

Something I find critical is after the edge change, allow the ski to continue outbound by slowly feeding the line out. By taking pressure off the ski, it will continue on an outbound direction. If you have ever gone fishing, you know that when the fish starts to take the bait you feed the line out and let him run with it a little, then set the hook. This is no different. Let the pressure off the line, FEED the line out, letting the ski go outbound to the apex.

Look at pictures of Pro Skiers like Parrish, that only have finger tips on the handle at the apex. Not possible under load. They feed the line out. This does 2 things. Increases lean at the apex, which means you will have more lean at hookup, and also gives you a better point to begin acceleration off the apex. More acceleration, plus more lean, equals less load at hookup. That equals better carry-out for the next buoy.