First Nationals... Any Advice?

Skid

• Supporting Member

+3 on what Matt said. Put the focus on the experience. Meet people. Chat with vendors. Get inspired watching 10 year olds, 80 year olds, and gifted athletes who make -38 look trivial.

And since you're there, you might as well ski, too!

• Baller

Congratulations that is awesome. I agree with what @Than_Bogan said. I haven't been good enough to qualify but I have gone with my son several times and I love watching all the different ages of skiers compete. Visiting the vendor tents is awesome as well I have had great conversations with Chris Rossi, Marcus Brown, Andy Mapple and others in the tents in the past.

Ski well and have a blast. My son's first nationals he missed his opener in slalom and was distraught but a couple of hours later he got to trick and while disappointed had a great experience.

• Baller
When getting ready and on the dock, get in the mindset you have on your home lake on a regular practice set. If on your practice set you are thinking about staying down through the 2nd wake, or staying connected out to the ball, or whatever, have the same thoughts when you go off the dock in nats. It will make it more familiar. Good luck and have fun!

• Baller
Start at a pass you never miss, there are no second chances. Be ready when it's your turn, let the driver and boat judge know what you want, take the full 45 seconds on each end, don't rush your second pass.

• Baller
Bring your Yetti cup to keep your water cold throughout the day. Also bring your sun shirt to stay cool. It's hot in Texas! Like others have said, just try to think of it as another tournament, and don't stress too much. Enjoy the people and have fun! :-)