Need help with technique

Canuck44

• Baller

So I am hoping to get a bit of help with my terrible slalom technique, to date my coach has been utube videos and my buddy who is learning to slalom with me. The videos have been a bit helpful for sure but my buddy figures we should probably stop what were doing immediately. Anyway I am hoping that you guys can take a look at this and give me the biggest couple areas I should be working on, I have been trying keep a stacked position and pretty sure I'm starting my turn to late and my arms sure flail around but what do I know. This vid is my first successful 30mph run last week and I would like to get up into 34 this summer if possible.

• Baller
Looking pretty good for self taught guy. Congrats on your first pass-I remember mine and how exciting it was. I am a struggling skier too so I won't do anything but encourage you to keep training. Others on this site are better at breaking it down and helping. Nice skiing!

• Baller

Pretty decent progress. The key thing I see is very common. You are pulling with your arms...you can see they are bent when you cross the wakes.

You will read a lot on this site about "stack".

Stack is about getting your chest and hips in line with your ankles and the rope. For a great explanation read @Than_Bogan piece on the basic position.

Once you are in good alignment or stack to increase your lean against the boat you need to straighten your arms when leaning away from the boat with the handle held low against your thighs.

The strange thing about slalom is that our instincts are often wrong. It feels safer to let up your pull/lean before hitting the wakes. It also feels safer to drag your butt and to bend your knees before crossing the wakes. Both of these positions increase the affect of the wakes on the ski and lead to falls...often out the front.

Bering stacked and having good handle control counter intuitively increases speed but also increases safety at the same time.

Once you have the concept of stack understood, the next key reading is @Bruce_Butterfield article on Handle Control.

Both of these articles are available on this site.

Final piece of advice. The fastest route to proficiency is to get some time on the water with a coach/instructor. They can help you in real time and make sure that your equipment is properly set up.

Now get out there and rip!

• Supporting Member

Good observation, @DaveLemons!! That definitely looks like -28, both in terms of the color coming off the pylon and the geometry of the skier path.

@Canuck44 Any chance you started with a 60 foot rope (which is 15 off) and then took off the first two loops (which coincidentally also total roughly 15 feet)?

If so, you are WAY ahead of where you think you are.

• Baller
Yah I lost the two sections but I'm running all the rope that's left so I think it's 60. I'm sure the order of the colors is all wrong from what it's supposed to be. Been thinking about a new rope with the distance marked but haven't gotten there yet

Stand taller on ski, chest proud and get your hips up. Focus on taking the handle and connection to your hip. Looks good!

I'd also say go to 15 off, 34 MPH. Your ski is getting behind you. Probably due to the boat speed.

Does you ski have a wing on it?

• Baller

So the rope is 64' handle to tip so I have been skiing 11' off I guess. Need to fix that.

My ski is a concept with wing. Have a new senate ordered should be here in a day or two.

Thanks for the tips will try concentrating on stacking and pulling to the hips.