Bum ankle

JBB

• Baller

I have referenced this site, as it seems to be the most comprehensive water ski forum out there... so thank you in advance.

Long story short, I am looking of a new solution to my binding issue.

This past weekend I was skiing in choppy water (I knew was too choppy), and bit it hard and sprained my ankle. My foot never released from the boot, and I crashed forward (and the ski went toward my chest).

As a bit of back ground, I have had torn ligaments surgically repaired in my left (front) foot before, and have had several severe sprains. I am pretty nervous about another tear. I am skiing on a HO CX, and use a toe plate in the rear. I don't have access to a course, so I am mostly an open water skier.

I believe my three options are: 1) Start double booting (but i tend to pick my heel up crossing the wake); 2) go with a binding system (like the syndicate hard shell system; $$$); 3) something smart and creative that you guys would come up with.

Any input, direction or advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Baller
Go to a releasable binding its your best bet for safety. My ankles where always hurting until I went to releasable. I when Reflex supershell but there a several excellent option these day. If you do some searches here you'll find a lot of info.

• Supporting Member
@JBB Actually it is possible to mount quite a variety of boots onto a MOB. I actually don't even know whether he sells shells anymore or just the release mounting hardware. It could take a little experimentation, but I'm confident you could find a boot to your liking.

• Baller

I tore my Achilles last season in a rubber Wiley's.

I have not skied much this year as I have been super cautious on my return.

I did replace the Wiley's with a Reflex and it is very comfortable and the performance seems great too. The caveat is I have skied less than a third of the sets I would normally ski and have not pushed it at all this year. Next year I plan to return full bore and I expect that i will have a better handle on the performance issues.

I expect the skiing experience to be better all around with the reflex, however.

• Baller

I have a FM front on MOB and RTP (which is a size small and pretty snug) Been using for a season and 1/2. Finally had an OTF (22 opener 4 to 5) suspense was killing me. Came out of the front seamlessly, and the back too. Aches from the tumble only, did kick myself in the foot with the front boot which smarted but much preferred over any other bump. MOB setup comfortable and dependable. Came off of Reflex, FM, vapors.

Will repeat others, skiing is dangerous. Skiing is awesome.

• Baller

If you want double boots look at goode power shells. Rear binding is not fastened down at rear and thus rides up on posts with springs so heel can lift when you want it to do so. So that addresses the question you asked.

Bindings are no unted on 3M tape somewhat like Velcro so the two boots can release together on the plate while still on your foot.

Goode web cite and their technical people can get you more information.

They also now have reflex available with low cut rap do should be able to compare them for you if you call.

• Baller
@JBB forget double boots for what you are doing, not going to help you. Find a boot that you like, and fits comfortably, we can put it on the only system that will release in multiple directions. You don't have to go with hardshell boots, Connelly(Sync) and HO(vMax) both sell soft fit boots that will work on the MOB system.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
@ozski @OldboyII whatever boot you want to use on the MOB, your foot must not be able to come out of the boot in a fall, and the boot must have a solid bottom sole that connects to the mounting plate.

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller

"1) Start double booting (but i tend to pick my heel up crossing the wake)"

@JBB I know you wanted to focus on equipment here but the comment in your first option says a lot. Lifting your heel during the wake crossing is probably the cause of the crashes that are destroying your ankle. I would take a serious look at what's going on there as well.

• Baller
@JBB if you only have direct connect system then no other binding system will attach to the ski without drilling holes... The MOB system uses the standard mounting hole pattern. The direct connect boots do work well on the MOB system.

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller

Just got my MOB, measured tension with caliper and adjusted.

Hopefully time to mount on my ski tomorrow then get down to some post-fracture business...skiwatch tourney in one month. Excited about the system. Perhaps the long lay-off will leave me feeling less foreign in a new binding set up moving away from rubber for the first time.

Thanks @mmosley899 , @OB1 and @MattP for advice along the way. Very excited to get back on my ski and around some buoys.

• Baller

@6balls great! please keep updated how it works. I also want to try MOB (after twisting fall)

Although my dream will come true when somebody will make bindings with separate toe & heel release and you all you need just click-in'n'go, like in alpine ski bindings