One Handed Gate

MickeyThompson

• Baller

I originally learned from Mike Suyderhoud in 1992 in Hawaii before West Coast came out, and it's still the one I use today. Pulling out at the green 55's, cast out wide, hanging out in the turn, free of the boat, looking at the right hand gate buoy, and falling in when the angle is at it's max. Gets me up on the boat wider and faster than anything else I've ever tried. Also allows me to keep building angle all the way to the right hand gate buoy. This is the best example of how I learned it.

• Administrators
I've been doing it for years and modified it down so it's really not very different from a two-handed gate. If you have a workable two handed gate I don't think I would encourage you to go to one handed. I don't think it does much extra for me it's just habit at this point.

• Baller

@MickeyThompson ... Yes, approaching the pre-gates. Technically, 2 feet before, so as to establish the edge when even with the left pre-gate. The idea to get as much acceleration as quick as possible to move "UP" on the boat. It's a short - hard forward load, cast out, floating the turn, looking at the right hand gate ball, then FALL into the lean when you have MAX ANGLE. Progressive load to the centerline will keep your angle increasing so as to cast out at the right hand gate ball.

PS: Keep in mind your NOT trying to get wide early, but UP on the boat. If your up on the boat you WILL be wide.