Age old question: Is a new ski going to get me further?

Joeprunc

This has been asked time and time again, but I feel like it is usually with antiquated gear. But I'm curious where the line for antiquated gear starts? I've ski the last year of the Strada and it has gotten me from -15 at 30 mph and now I'm dabbling into -28 at 34 mph. I love the ski and know there is still a lot more potential in the ski for me to tap into. I don't plan on skiing competitively.

With the recent Vapor Review I realized that my ski is now 4 generations old. I always want something new and shiny in my bag, however, my question to the ski gurus...is the Strada considered antiquated gear? Will an upgrade to a 2017 or 2018 Vapor get me 6 extra buoys? Or should I put my $$ toward more boat gas, a new car, new truck tires, a new dirt bike, new pair of snow skis, or trip somewhere exotic?

• Baller
Well, each person is different, but I was on a '05 Monza and having fun. Then I got an A1 and started having even more fun (though the Monza rocket-ski feeling was pretty cool). Then I got on a 15 Vapor and started having more fun. Then got on a 16.5 ProBuild and started having even more fun... With each ski, I found it easier to ski efficiently and break 30+ years of bad habits by working on being in better position. Still a long way to go, but newer tech seems to agree with me in general.

• Baller

I don't think an upgrade from a Strada to a new Vapor is going to get you 6 buoys. I think it could get you a couple and could increase your fun plus getting new skis is cool. If you went in thinking the new ski is worth 6 balls you might be disappointed.

The new ski in conjunction with coaching and practice could get you the 6 buoys.

• Supporting Member

Yeah, 6 buoys is an impossibly high bar. I'm not sure any ski upgrade has ever delivered that (except maybe if the old ski was set up completely wrong).

But I would guess that, especially at your current level, jumping ahead a few models would net a buoy or two that you've never reached before.

• Baller

A new ski will get you buoys. The skills you develop while bonding with the new ski will make you get better.

Eventually the honeymoon will end. Your buoy count will stabilize. You need another new ski!*

Eric

*The manufacturers owe me.

• Baller
@Joeprunc Just my opinion. Your ski is not that old. How it has been used is much more important. Unless you've been really tough on it I'd say that lessons from a pro will get you farther than a new ski. All depends on your budget too.

• Baller

It could gain you a few balls, but it will make getting the balls a bit easier and more fun. Having just switched from a '10 O'Brien Elite to a brand spanky new Denali c-65, I can tell you that every generation of ski just gets more user friendly. I had my Elite dialed in so I was really comfortable on it, but right of of the box, the c-65 just feels more forgiving while turning better, holding angle more easily, and just being more responsive.

Do yourself a favor and buy a new ski!

• Baller
I think one issue would be whether there has been something fundamental in ski design between the old ski vs. the new ski (either due to incremental design changes that add up as @SkiJay says better and with more knowledge), or a big leap of some kind)that makes things easier and more efficient. I know that my old ski felt like old straight snow skis vs. newer shaped skis that allow a more efficient position more easily.

• Baller

@Joeprunc One season to the next, the improvements are marginal, but these incremental changes add up over time. The flat spot on your Strada was further back on the ski than any other ski I'm aware of. Since then, the "street settings" for bindings on Radars have moved forward almost an inch, which is "miles" in ski-tuning terms. The newer skis carve more and smear less. And carving is more powerful, efficient and consistent than smearing.

In short, the jump forward from your Strada is worth making because a newer design will better support your efforts to improve your technique. If money is an issue and you want to remain loyal to Radar, there are now deals on 2016 and 2017 Vapors, skis that are still highly relevant.

• Baller
@SkiJay thanks for that information, comparing the Strada to newer skis. Just out of curiosity I would love know how other skis from that same generation compare to newer skis, like say the D3 Nomad RC/RCX. It would really help put in perspective where the newer designs are going and how much we could expect from an older ski while working on the newer mindset of technique.

Thank you for all the comments and replies. I think the biggest thing I will take away from this is spend $$ towards coaching. I've got some guys in my club that are amazing and offering tons of insite, and I know most if not all of my progression is due to their coaching. My three major down falls skiing are: short pulling, skiing wide, and holding onto the handle (all inter related)...is the pro coach going to regurgitate the same info? Or will he/she be able to shed new light on these issues?

I weight 155 lbs and treat my gear quite well, always bagged and hand carried. Either in the boat ski locker, or hanging on the wall rack in the garage. I have not a clue how many sets I have on the ski.

I do love shiny toys, and have been on somewhat of a spending rampage for the last two years and trying to think about slowing down, so that's more of where this question is coming from. More fun always makes skiing better, but honestly I have fun on the water no matter what I'm doing. If I do upgrade my plan would be to give the old ski to my GF who is just starting to get enough confidence to ski in the course....new ski might = win win ;).

@skijay Thank you for the insite on the Radar's and yes Radar has helped and provided me great customer service for a few issues in the past, and I have become somewhat brand loyal to them. Thank you for the insite on the 2016-17s, this backs what I've heard as well. The 2018s are out of my price point.

@mikey the 2016 YZ250F in the garage could always raise the same question in the motocross community :blush:

• Baller

@Deke I wouldn't say there is a cohesive direction that new skis are taking. Each manufacturer has pursued different strategies over the past decade, and they've all been able to improve upon their previous models.

D3 has raised performance while still honoring their reputation for stable forgiving skis. Goode deviated from traditional shapes like the venerable 9600 series towards short wide hard turning shapes in the Nano series (and may be turning back with some new alternatives). HO has evolved into skis that are 2" longer from boot to tip than any other ski on the market. And Denali jumped in with a clean sheet of paper. The only constant among them is the desire to improve more than their competitors.

But ten year old skis like the RCX and Strada were designed for a different era. Today, the top tugs have developed into relentless, Zero Off controlled, freight trains, and all of the top skiers have adapted to this harsh new reality. As great as the RCX, Monza, and 9600 were in their era, the sport has evolved since then, and so have ski designs—each probing for advantages in subtly different directions.

• Baller

New skis are fun. If it gets you the same buoy count with less effort, and less wear and tear as you age it's all good. If it makes you laugh across the wakes because it's so awesome...that's cool too. It's great to have fun.

More buoys also depends on where you are on your personal continuum. Near the margins after many years of effort getting more is tough and strangely enough a buoy on average is a big deal...if a ski picked me up (in my estimation) a PB by 0.5 to 1 buoy with any regularity I'd think it was the bomb.

Earlier in the skier experience you may have breakthroughs that pick up a pile of buoys but probably it has less to do with ski and more to do with learning and application of better technique...caveat being if you dropped a really old ski for something current...that may certainly help you pick up some buoys.