ski sticking at gate

cacman

• Baller
I have an unusual problem. I have a new ski that seems pretty great but not always able to get it to turn in for gate when I want it to. I don't feel fast I'm wide enough. My first set I felt the ski was hunting an edge but made a slight fin adjust and that went away. Just not sure what to adjust. Thanks for the help

• Supporting Member

I wouldn't call that an unusual problem! MANY skis that I've gotten on, including some of my all-time favorites, seemed to edge-hunt outside the gates until I got used to them.

I'd wait at least a few sets before doing anything to address that, unless you also have issues inside the course.

(Oh, and if that new ski is a Denali, get on the forum and get advice from the real experts instead of a scrub like me!)

• Baller

Really need video for this. But bet you are too slow and on back foot at the moment you turn to go.

1. If ski is hunting for an edge that means you are not on edge. From the moment you start your move out from wakes be on one edge or the other till exit gates. Do not go flat, if flat you slide back on the boat and in towards the wakes, very bad. 100% front foot on left side of foot. Possible you fin tuned the turn-in out of it... It was begging you to give it an edge.

2. Increase your speed till you feel fast. Not out of control, but enough to be a touch uncomfortable. 100% front foot on left side of foot. If you are truly wide enough the speed is your friend.

3. 100% front foot on left side of foot.

• Baller
I am on a new XTR was on a VTR. 34 mph 28 through 38 have had it happen. I have not moved boots because all else feels great. tend to be over front foot and on left side. But seems better if I'm on the tail. Still need some more sets but was hoping someone had a magical fin move.

• Baller

@cacman Apart from not liking the term "rock" back, in most cases you should be able to stand up right over the front of the ski before you turn for the gate , without anything sticking.

Nick Adams is a very good example, he stands tall and sticks his chin forward, very noticable, I initially thought he was looking for a specific point on the course for his turn for the gate, but he told me it just helps him establish good position once he has turned, he repeats it at two and four ball.