Fixing the Onside

Gloersen

• Elite Skier
T-Mo is super level with his shoulders, everywhere. His front ankle is in a positive flex, and his hips are balanced directly over the center of the ski. He worked on that through repetition where he could keep doing it correctly. He created a picture in his mind of what he wanted to ski like, and kept practicing until that picture in his mind and what he was actually doing on the water were synchronized. No secret, just a lot of focused work.

• Baller

I just saw this video last week. Thomas Moore was always one of my favorite skiers to watch because of his offside especially. He was/is one of the best of, like Terry says, staying level all the time, including through his offside turn. Not many can or will do that. That turn at 2:50. Nice.

He had a photo sequence in Water Skiing once of a drill where he was working on skiing back to the handle level by letting go of the handle at the apex then staying level and square (facing downcourse) while skiing all the way through the turn. A lot of work for the skier and driver, but if you've got the time on the water, probably a good exercise to drill that feeling into muscle memory.

• Baller_

I've made the washer change @Chef23 mentions. Simply amazing. Just did it recently and used a .030" (net depth change of .023"). I think I will add more. Others I know are running.060 (net .053" difference).

I think the question on the video, though, is how to go into the preturn with that kind of extension, counter-rotation, handle control, and body position. A washer won't fix that.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

@BraceMaker,

Some that I know have only .008" net difference. I don't think that is enough. If you do it right, you will feel it immediately.

I've seen skiers make the change mid-tournament and finish their next round practically giddy over the difference.

Make sure you place it on the correct side of the fin block. If you are LFF, it goes on the right side (looking down from the top of the ski) and vice versa for RFF. Use calipers to verify the net depth change at max depth apex of the fin. If it's not at least .020" net change, it's probably not enough.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.