Almost bought a boat

aspski

• Baller

I have a much different take on those who'll email me asking "what's the lowest you'll take". I just respond with "shoot me an offer". It's almost 2018, a lot of negotiations take place via email these days. I just bought a Tundra for towing, and never spoke to the salesman until walking into the dealership for delivery.

But, yes cash is king. My boats are for sale until I have the funds in hand. I once had a baller buy a 196 from me at the landing with 2 bags of $100 bills. Depositing that kind of cash into your checking account isn't quite as easy as you'd think:)

• Baller_
@swc5150 : cash in bags, a similar story at a south Florida dealership selling fishing trawlers equipped with diesel engines, a customer walked in with many bags of cash to buy a particular boat, they had to close and get all the employees to count the cash. A few months later I get a call at my (work) desk from a 'government agent' (which of course as a young engineer scared the living c**p out of me: "we found this boat floating in the harbor and the only number we could get was off the engine, do you know anything about it, the boat was basically burned out" ... that pharmaceutical transaction went south for the guy and the rest of the crew.

• Baller

@aspski dm'd you. For anyone else in Western Canada we are getting ready to put our boat up for sale -

2012 Centurion Carbon Pro - 470hrs. Heater, heated seats, Bimini, ballast tank, 343, galvanized narrow single axle trailer. Service every 50hrs. Located in Kamloops BC

ioh5u2c0s83u.jpg

• Baller
Just now had a boat sold out from under us. Lots more to this story, but the worse part is that they lied about it, stating that financing had been declined 2 days after saying it was approved (which then was miraculously re-approved from the same bank a couple days later as we started negotiating a different boat.) We were in the process of getting the financing worked out, had asked them if they wanted a deposit and they said no need, and they didn't contact us at all to tell us they had another potential buyer.

• Baller

Like others have said if you have any intention of getting into the tournament scene ZO is a must.

I upgraded to a ZO boat this year and I should have done it sooner. I do not notice a huge different in the pull, but I am a light skier and was able to adapt easily after a few set adjustment period.

What I notice is consistency. Holy smokes is it nice to have the same pull every single pass. 1 person in the boat or 4 people in the boat - same pull. Head wind/tail wind - same pull. I have a course with a really short setup and at 36 MPH PP would overshoot it every time if you were not perfect with throttle placement. ZO has completely eliminated that problem.

If you are not skiing in the course 75% or more of your sets or don't have any intentions of running tournaments I would say ZO is a nice to have but PP would be absolutely fine too. Everyone is different, but for free skiing I see little benefit to getting ZO over PP.

• Baller
on the subject of large cash deposits most people think you can simply break it up into smaller deposits under $10k until the big pile of dough is all safely tucked away in the bank but thats actually a federal crime called ' structuring '. you'd be a lot better off to spend a little of that wad on a large gun safe tucked under a tarp in the corner of your garage and use the cash on a private-party purchase of your next boat or truck or whatever. after the cash is gone sell the safe or use it to store all your priceless water skiing trophies.