barefoot waterski trainer design project

lotzy333

• Baller

So the diagram looks like one could put feet in the water but not actually leave it behind and barefoot...since it has a tow attachment point of it's own low in the center. I'd also hate to see someone with their feet in lose a foot or both and get quickly lunged forward possibly injuring themselves on the device.

Not trying to be overly critical...just first blush thoughts.

Would it be better to design a boom for non-comp boats? Lots of uses beyond barefooting taught tons of people to ski using it, taught to get up on one ski etc.

• Baller_

Looks overly complicated and I think it would be difficult to get situated in the water as you get started.

I learned to barefoot (about 100 years ago) using a kneeboard in a similar manor to what i think you have in mind for your drawing. I remember that the hardest part was staying straight and balanced just before the boat took off.

Something like one of those standup paddle boards would be much easier to start and would likely fit what you want.

Food for thought.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@gsm_peter screw some tennis shoes onto a piece of plywood 15 to 20 cm wide and 5 cm sticking out front and back over the shoe. Round the corners a bit. That's what I used and it made barefooting easy and the falls were softer. I went about 40 kph (25 mph). Your Vectors should work fine on plywood a bit bigger than the plates. It's still not easy. But fun.

Eric

• Baller

I think the idea is interesting. Not sure if it will or won't work, but post video. You won't be able to stand up off it but then you can't really get off a ski horse already.

Would be sort of like trying to barefoot off a kneeboard but having the kneeboard stuck under you. Kneeboard a take a bit of getting rid of, especially if the boat speed is low.

I think the support of a seat so you can't fall but the feeling of seeing what it is like to push your feet and hold them into position is good.

we already have booms and ski horses.

I doubt there is any commercial market but a fun project. Keep safe!

• Baller
What if it was more of a shovel you sat on that when you stood would come up with you. Padded straps around the waist and hips. Plastic pan that had chines or other directional element that helped stabilize your butt on the water and would be "worn" when you stood.

• Baller
Back in the day (1982) learned by starting on a Hydro-Slide, then a step off ski, and finely deep up behind a 1982 Rinker Wedge with a 140hp I/O. Hydro-Slide was a little squirmy at take off but safe and easy.

Ernie Schlager