That time of year

oldjeep

• Baller
Looks like snow tomorrow, so I guess last Sunday was our last day. Some of the truely hardcore @skibrain likely have weeks left but for me Saturday is winterization day. Give it an oil/trans/v drive fluid change, new impeller, coat of wax and tuck it in for the winter.

• Baller

As I have stretched the season in past years until buyer pickup of each current year promo boat I have used light bulbs in work lights under the engine and magnetic block heaters to ensure that the engine compartment stays above freezing. (I have always stayed away from the dipstick heaters because I'm not sure what they do to the oil). Starting with the new Direct Injected PCM engines last year, I lost the ability to use my magnetic block heater, since the blocks are now aluminum. I found this THIS as a perfect solution, although a little pricey. It is double redundant, as there are two thermostats, two heating elements, and two fans that give me a little more confidence. The thermostats won't let the engine compartment get below 40 degrees and they are spark proof and water proof. (I also monitor the temp inside the motor box real-time with an indoor/outdoor thermometer with the outdoor sensor under the motor box and the indoor readout sitting on a table on my dock with one of my security cameras pointed to it, I must be paranoid). As you can see from the attached photo I just grabbed remotely from the camera, it is 44 degrees on the dock and 55 under the motor box right now. Looks like it is going to be REALLY cold skiing tomorrow!

Davenzlx1gkt5gz6.jpg

• Baller

Been there, did that. Winterized myself for the first time, bugging @oldjeep with a lot of questions on another forum. Squeezing in some more mountain biking and hiking during our autumn, then it will be time to hit the slopes. Early PSIA clinic on Functional Movement Assessment and strategies to improve function, movement and flexibility tomorrow, and marketing the ski program at the Warren Miller movie tonight. Truly that time of year.

Also, the coming season should also be enjoyable. Take a look: (again, not intended as a Sun Valley commercial, just showing all there is to do in the coming season.)

• Baller
Mine is drained, full of antifreeze, impeller and oil changed. Still need to do the trans and v-drive fluid, fix a busted blower bracket and shorten a ballast drain hose that has been a pain since I bought the boat. After that a quick clean and protect inside and out before the charger gets connected and cover goes on. Luckily it lives in my garage, so it is no hurry.

• Baller

Took control of the winterizing this year as my mechanic hasn’t had the boat ready at the agreed day for the past few years and plus, I like to do the oil/filter change in the fall.

Fogged the engine, RV antifreeze throughout the system and then for the first time in a while, sprayed on an engine cleaner, scraped of the heavy belt dust and then brushed it down with the hose spraying. Looks 15 yrs younger! Unscrewed a couple of the brass plugs to check that the AF was everywhere, changed all the front of the engine water hoses and voila. Looking really good.

Our lake requires we put an oil absorption “pillow” in the bilge that at the end of this year, got to the back of the boat and got shredded by the drive shaft coupling next to the stuffing box. Cotton bits everywhere. So we took off the engine cover and started washing what we could reach with hot water and Dawn. Got all the area below the engine clean then took off the rear floor, rear panels and went to town. Sparkly! So easy to get at those areas I’m going to clean that area every year at layup.

Now looking at the outside and am wondering if the product that had a thread in BOS called HC-1 is still available. I emailed the owner with no response (so far).

Any Ballers know a great hull cleaner?

All my boats docks and lifts are out. We still have one boat in but this week looks like crap. Friday and Sunday look to have possibility. But then that is putting good faith in a long look forward on a weather call in Michigan! What could be wrong with that picture????????????

• Baller_
@GaryWilkinson, I've used StarBrite Instant Hull Cleaner in the past. Works great. With my current boat, I haven't had to clean the hull since I bought it (7 years ago) because it never sits it the water and is wiped down after every use. But, if I did need to, I would use the StarBrite.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@GaryWilkinson Google Aurora chemicals HC-1. Should get you to the site. Works great with fresh green algea and such. Not as good once it is dry but still pretty good. I have had pretty good success with toilet bowl cleaner. Get the gel and dilute it pretty good with water. Spray on and let sit for 30 seconds and rinse thoroughly. Then definitely wax the bottom it is basically an acid wash.

• Baller
Star brite immediately removes a yellowing on my white hull with really no elbow grease. There may be better products...but I can't think of how. Wipe on with a sponge don't even scrub just keep applying down the side of the boat then come back the opposite way and rinse it off. IN our swamp I need to do that a couple of times per year even tho the boat is only in the water for brief ski sets...never is left in the water.