2017 Ski Nautique 200 OB seat height - can it be lowered?

lewis310

• Baller
I have a 2017 Ski Nautique 200 OB. The driver's seat height has me looking directly into the mirror at maneuvering speeds (docking, etc.) and has the top of my head getting hit by wind when driving through the course. Several people in my neighborhood have commented that the seat is too high. I have not pulled the seat out yet to look at it, but has anyone else noticed the same issue and does anyone know if there is a way to drop the seat a couple of inches?

• Baller
So, in response to a couple of the comments. 1) I tried moving the mirror to the center. The mirror mount hits before the bumpers when you open the center window and in the middle of the summer I like to have that window open for a breeze and that would put the mirror facing backwards. 2) Yes I am somewhat tall - 6'3", but several in my neighborhood have comment that the seat is high. 3) I will look into the 4" extension. 4) Thanks for all the suggestions. If someone else has a suggestion, please chime in.

• Baller
@lewis310 I don't believe your air flow problem is caused by seat height. We have met, and I drove your boat in a tournament not long before you took delivery of it. At that time your boat did not have what I call an "air dam" in place. An air dam is a removable device for open bow 200's that, when in place, seals off the open bow from the rest of the boat. Without it in place, air flows at whatever speed the boat is going under the walk through windshield into the cockpit even with the windshield closed. When I drove your boat, the air flow had enough force to collapse the middle seat where a middle passenger could sit, and it made me feel like my hat was going to blow off. I did not notice any visibility issue caused by the mirror or windshield. An air dam might be an easy fix for you.

• Baller
Hey Don, I have already added the air dam. It helps (especially days like yesterday when it is kind of cool), but I am still looking into the mirror at maneuvering speeds. At skiing speeds I am looking through the top of the windshield and still get a lot of air hitting the top of my head. Even with the mirror moved, I'm looking into the top bar of the windshield at maneuvering speeds. If I were designing the boat, I would either make driver seat sit lower or make the windshield go up a bit higher (probably the latter). Neither of those seem easy to do as a modification but I have not pulled the seat out yet to see how easy it might be to lower. The seat sits on a pedestal but it is not clear to me whether that pedestal is molded into the floor. If it is molded in, the only way I see to lower the seat involves cutting fiberglass - not something I really want to do on a new boat.

• Baller_
Seat height and windscreen height are fixed by NMMA standards. The only way to increase the windscreen height by the manufacturer is to add tint to the glass. I’m not sure that would be an improvement for those that like to ski at first and last light or in overcast.

Lpskier

• Baller
I'm 6'5" and always find myself slouching to get my field of vision under the windshield frame of most boats I drive. I've never driven a 200, but 196's I've driven make that uncomfortable as I can't extend my legs to allow the slouching. Does the 200 have limited leg room like the 196?

• Baller
I'm sort of glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks the seat is too high. Hopefully Nautique will figure something out for the 2018 models. I hope to remove the seat in the next couple of days and I'll tell you all what I find.

• Baller
Would moving the seat base back (toward the stern and away from the windshield) lower your head relative to the air flow over the top of the windshield? Usually when a seat adjusts back, it also goes down; but I'll bet you are already back as far as it will adjust. I'm guessing that moving the seat base back would be easier than lowering the seat, and you would gain some leg room too.

• Baller
Is this a situation that's unique to the 2017 models? I haven't been hearing this for the 7 years in the life of the 200. But again for me, I don't experience the problem and I drove one (closed bow) 2-3 times a week all summer.

• Baller
I believe they changed the seat and the seat height when they went to the DI motors. I know the engine box got bigger and taller. Believe the seat changed to make it match. Used to drive a 14 a lot and drove an 11 and a 17 a fair amount this past summer. Only one I had issue with was the 17. The seat is also different starting in 16. It has more cut out the side to make entry and exit easier. I think after a few hours the seat will break in a little and be just fine for me. 6 foot 2.

• Baller
@dbutcher it might be a bit more forward for that reason not really sure to be honest. I know the carpet in lay from the old boat wouldnt fit around the new motor box. About 4 inches bigger in diameter. Not sure how much taller but looks to be about 6 inches.

• Baller
The motor box is not further forward or taller. If that was the case the pylon would be blocked. The motor box is wider with the DI engines. I'm pretty sure the is no way to lower the seat height. Unless somehow you remove the base and make your own.

• Baller
So I took the seat apart a couple of days ago. It appears that I can lower the seat about 1" by changing the way it is mounted (removing the mounting bracket and mounting the seat directly to the slide mechanisms). This is a simple task in theory, but actually not at all easy due to difficulties reaching bolts and nuts to tighten them. I should have it completed in a day or two. If that does not lower it enough, the only option that I see is to cut the pedestal out and replace it with something that lowers it more. I guess I will see how I like this mod in the spring. Thanks for all the comments.