Wishing I could ski, on water as well as snow, right now.

sunvalleylaw

• Baller

Snow ski season has begun, and the mountain is open with good conditions on some of the groomers, and a few spots to get off the groomed. My edges are sharp, and I am enjoying snow skiing. But wishing I could hit the water as well, on a semi-regular basis, during the winter. I love both sports so much. There are probably a couple weeks in April, where a guy could waterski around here on the same day as snow skiing. It would be cold though.

Any of you others missing it? Do any of you ever manage to ski on the snow and the water on the same day? @scotchipman , mebbe some of you Utah guys?

• Baller
I’m missing it a ton. It was my best season in a long time. I last skied on Dec 3. Winter’s definitely set in here in Alabama so it looks like it’s going to be 3 solid months until my next set. The most frustrating thing about skiing is that I get better and better all season long then have to quit for 3-4 months and lose so much of the gains I had made. I’m jealous of your situation @sunvalleylaw Being able to snow ski in the off season would be a pretty good second choice!

• Baller
@scotchipman , we are glad up here that the Holdings invested in basically the best snowmaking system in existence. Our groomers are pretty decent. But yeah, otherwise, very little snow. It is also good that most of the runs are north facing and have held on to the natural snow they received.

• Baller
I long to find that a place where you can water ski year around (on a semi-regular basis during the winter months), snow ski during the winter, that also has a great economy, affordable housing and all without having to jump on a plane or spend hours driving to the lake or the hill.

• Baller
A few years back here in western New York a buddy of mine pulled off a trifecta, it was probably mid april, he snow skied in the morning, played beach volleyball mid day and waterskied in the afternoon. That's pretty rare though, ice had gone out pretty early but still a good snow pack at the mountain.

• Baller
@sunvalleylaw - was just telling my son on the way to Squaw Valley on Sunday that I wasn't ready to stop water skiing this year, which I did on Halloween. Was starting to make some good improvements at the end of the year, but life and now snow got in the way. Having a blast skiing on the meager foot and a half of snow at Squaw, though. In the spring we always have some snow ski morning/water ski afternoon days. Looking forward to getting back on the water.

• Baller
Nope, happy to have two distinct seasons with a month or two between for other stuff. My other ski season should start this weekend after I pick up the new(ish) skis Friday. Every couple years I squeak in a couple winter runs in ft Myers, but otherwise one season at a time.

• Baller

It is just starting to set in for me. I haven't skied in about a month now and I am starting to get antsy. This was by far the best season I've had so it is hard to stop.

I used to snow ski all the time but I just don't anymore. I raced in high school and loved it but snow skiing now around here (MN) is not much fun without gates to go through. Plus it is getting so damn expensive. I have a hard time paying $60+ to free ski around here.

• Baller
Sacramento CA probably the best bet for that. Can get to a lot of ski resorts in under 2 hour drive. Waterskiing could be done year round. Myself not a fan of the cold so I don't snow ski or waterski much in the winter. Probably throw in surfing in the day too.

• Baller
Yeah buddy miss waterskiing and hopefully get some snow days in here soon. Planning on Targhee since JH has lack of snow right now and we are going for Christmas. Got a cat skiing trip planned at Brundage, and 2 trips planned to Utah. Have passes up at Bogus this year again too if it would snow. Better get my boards ready.

• Baller

@LoopSki I enjoyed mountain biking at Downieville, then waterskiing outside of Sac (Liquidzone), early this last october. I liked the area from what I saw. Kinda liked the little look at Auburn I got. I stayed there overnight one of the nights. I understand there is biking there too. Have that in mind for a possible spring trip, depending on what the fam wants to do. No way I am re-starting my law practice in CA at this point in life. Though the area is tempting. I like that you can get into some riding right from town in Auburn. I could always go back to Western WA, plenty of good ski lakes there, and I am licensed in WA. Plus all the other open water. But, then I would be dealing with the traffic and crowds I moved away from. And you drive to do any activity, unless you live on the water. (well, ok, maybe not running or road cycling). Pretty tough to snow ski and water ski on the same day there, just because of drive time between the two sports. To be clear, not considering moving back at this point. I love where we live too much.

I like mixing things up, comparing and contrasting movements, etc. I have a hard time doing just one thing. Snow ski season, I generally skate ski also, and classic (as that frees up my back better than skating) and try to get some form of pedaling done starting in Feb, even if just spin class. I love, love, love my snow skiing. It is why I live where I do. I am just rueing the short waterski season, even though we have some pretty nice lakes during season. Mebbe I just need to plan a few trips in the future.

@bigskieridaho , hear ya. As I said, really glad for our man-made we have here. Helps us out in the new normal weather patterns. Hoping Bogus gets going for ya. Cat skiing out of soldier (Bruce's old resort) is fun if they get snow (which they usually do). I got really spoiled last year during our epic year here at SV. So much mountain and terrain open with different exposures, lines, and challenges, when we get a lot of snow.