Gloersen

• Baller

@jetpilotg4 – insertional Achille’s tendonitis if repetitive can lead to calcific tendinosis which, over time, can lead to Haglund’s syndrome. So it’d be advisable to conservatively treat the acute tendonitis with stretching/strengthening routines until symptom free. Otherwise the sudden, high load, repetitive stresses of skiing likely will make it worse. If the AT acts up when first walking in the morning, that’s a tell-tale sign of needing more rx/rest. In my case the Haglund’s had flared up (after several years of dormancy) about 7 weeks prior to rupture but I just continued to ski through the discomfort.

@skierjp – nice incision Jim, hope you’re all healed and back on the water. Bet you’ll be thinking more about going to a deep/short fin setup.

@Bruce_Butterfield – turtle soup for Christmas dinner is a great idea!

Everyone should keep a roll of duct tape in the boat and vehicle; couldn’t have driven home without taping it.

Thanks Ballers for the well wishes. Merry Christmas to everyone!

• Baller

@lpskier - John, Kevin Murphy is definitely the go-to guy but only performs knee or shoulder procedures, I was referred to one of his group partners.

Soon as partial weight-bearing is feasible I'm looking forward to getting down there, hanging with the LaPoint Ski Park denizens; driving and soaking up pointers.

Hope everyone rips well on a Merry Christmas Day!

• Baller

April 18th for mine. Doctor cleared me for athletic activity right at 6 months (early as he predicted 9 to 12 months). Achilles rupture due to probable earlier slight tear that calcified over time. When it let go, it took the tendon all the way up to the calf muscle with it. Repair was tendon transfer from big toe to heel and fold down of strip of calf muscle.6u37oa5yqflj.jpeg

• Baller

Nice looking wound closure (I assume at 2 weeks post-op).

@Roger - you're LFF? Did you strike a buoy?

Braced for 9-12 months, hoping for 6.

Pushed the left rupture in '13 too quickly, ended up with elongation; trying to be more compliant for this right side.

Cool 9' vid from Arthrex for those curious engineering types...

• Baller
@Gloersen - Didn't hit anything. Got in a little deep on off side turn and crushed about half way down on the ski and it let go. The doctor said I could have been doing anything, even just stepping off a curb due to how bad the calcification of the previous tear was. Yes LFF.