Brand Loyalty

ozski

• Baller
I was just wondering how brand loyal everyone thinks they are or are not when it comes to ski gear and boats. Do you have a logical or illogical attachment to your boat or ski? From a boating perspective I'm pretty Nautique loyal but when it comes to skis I'm more than happy to switch brands for a performance gain. On the other hand I know skiers that will only ski on "brand x" and stick their heads where it don't shine even if the performance is sub par... Or the reverse, not ski on a particular brand for one reason or another.

• Baller
Good questions. Boats are easy for me, it's whatever is available for a ski ride. When it comes to skis and gear it's more about building a relationship, whether it's with the manufacturer and or the retailer. I always like to support local businesses when possible. In this sport that is getting tougher, especially in the northeast. So I have a few brands that I like and a few non-local retailers that I reach out to for pricing, and one that hand builds and ships their gear.

• Baller

Pretty brand loyal to Malibu, for a couple reasons.

1) There isn't really anything that competes with the VTX from the other brands

2) Malibu pretty much rules my local market

For skis - radar. I'm a hack so one ski is pretty much the same as the next to me within a performance category and radar is what is typically available at a reasonable price.

• Baller
I am with @ALPJr on this one. The boat is the same Nautique i have been skiing behind since high school, still running like a top. As for ski equipment, I have been leaning toward HO, because the rest of my family has Radar, and i find it silly to buy the same ski my cousin has, and I ski with him about 50% of the time. How did I pick HO? it fell in the sweet spot of affordable, quality, and availability.

• Baller
Oddly, I'm brand loyal to both Nautique and MC. I've tried to consider other brands, but the quality just didn't seem to quite match up. For skis, I'm a Radar guy. I just feel comfortable on their skis, like that they're a BOS sponsor, and Rossi actually answered a fin question for me on this site. You can't beat that IMHO!

• Baller

I want the best but I tend to be dealer loyal in the end. At this point my MC dealer goes over the top to serve my needs and have been for over 8 years. That being said the only other brand I have considered over the years has been Nautique.

@swc5150 I had the similar experience with Radar. I called this fall to ask some tech questions about what would be my next ski. They transferred me to Brooks Wilson and he spend 20 minutes with me on the phone. Cool!

• Baller
I'm brand loyal to Nautique, but recognize that all the approved boats are really exceptional. As for skis, I'm loyal to nothing and will go with whatever I get to try and like. I have had terrific support whenever I've needed it, from setup advice to warranty claims, from just about every ski company over the years.

• Baller
I own a Malibu, but was open to MC or if the CP was an open bow I would probably own one of those right now. Love the versatility of my response tho when we are in open water. Great in the course. As for Nautique I was a fan of the 196, not so much the 200. Anything that wants to give me a pull tho I’m in. As for skis, I just try to find the best ski that’s suits me and my ability.

• Baller
I am a bit of a Nautique loyalist but not apposed to the other 3. They all ski great. I am a bit of a ski loyalist because I don't like to waist time trying different skis out. If one companies' ski works for me I think or thought that the next one will also. I was on the orange crack as they say for a long time and switched to another ski about 4 years ago and it has been my best friend. I got a new model from them last year and it didn't work out. So for this reason I am not going on loyalty alone from now on. That's why I have really enjoyed @Horton ski reviews this fall. Just got to find the time to try all these skis (so far 4) for myself.

• Baller

Boat loyalty...original owner of 94 MC 205 - still love it... Also Malibu 2007 RLXi w/ZO owned since Fall 2007 (was Promo)... PB's generally behind 97-2002 Nautiques at club. If I was to get a newer boat would probably be a 2014 or newer Prostar just based on looks and some the features but all of the top boats would be fine.

Ski loyalty... I've been on Radar products since 2009 RS-1 double boots and a Senate... Upgraded about every 2 years for skis and 3years for boots. Here's why Radar is my go-to setup... zero transition or learning curve when I upgrade. I accurately set fin and boots to well documented stock settings and then ski my average in first set and add a few balls in the next couple of sets. I have ski partners on various other skis that spend the better part of the season trying to get a new ski or boots to work for them. Radar is a good fit for me I think because the family of skis are connected by a common philosophy of performance characteristics.

• Baller

Love all the top boats...would just take the right deal. Do have me some SN 196 love as the bargain winner.

Skis...whatever works lots of good stuff. Gloves...Masterline Pro-Locks. Vest/suit...will see fired up to try out my Stokes stuff come spring.

• Supporting Member

Of course, I am currently pretty involved with Denali, so I have tremendous ski brand loyalty.

But in the past with skis, and still with boats now, I would describe myself more as having "brand momentum." It's not so much about being in love with the brand itself, but more a comfort level that it will behave similarly, have familiar features, keep all the stuff I like and have only the problems that I am already trained to work around :), and so forth.

• Administrators

Brand Loyalty is a funny thing.

On one hand I own a 2009 GMC truck and if died tomorrow I would just go buy one just like it. It works and it is what I know.

If I had to buy a boat I would for sure buy a ProStar because I am very impressed with the Bumblebee. It is yet to show me a flaw.

For any band of boat, they are not always the same from year to year. I know skiers who have paid a lot of money for boats I would not want.

The guy selling you a boat is never going to tell you if it sucks. After spending a ton of cash for a boat many skiers are never going to admit it sucks.

As for skis I think loyalty can be a super stupid thing. Every ski company has made at least one ski model in the last 10-15 years that I consider to be mediocre. To trust that the next ski from any factory is going to be better than the last is a mistake.

Loyal maybe but not really. I have owned my Malibu from 07. But then I had some constraints when I bought it. Wife wanted an open bow and I had a very good Malibu dealer at the time. If it would have been just myself I would likely have A CC196 on the lift. As for skies I have moved around. H O, Goode, and D3. I have picked what I thought made my performance best and still forgiving. I need forgiving! And still on Wiley's for bindings. But then I know none of them have been the limiter in my performance. Still looking for something that can fix Old and fat.

• Baller

I agree with @Horton...brand loyalty confuses me.

I am not brand loyal in any way. I do a lot of research and pick the quality-function-price that fits my needs now and as far as I can see for the future.

I also tend to buy and hold over a long time. Current malibu was bought used 7 yrs ago, current HO ski 3 years ago. I don’t see me changing anytime soon.

• Baller

Funny because usually I think less of people who are very brand loyal in most situations. And then here you ask the question and as it turns out I am quite brand loyal to Radar on skis and Liquid Force on Wakeboards. Hmmm...maybe I need to re-evaluate according to my own criteria.

I wasn't brand loyal with boats 5 years ago, but I ended up buying a Nautique and it is making me more brand loyal every day. However, then I had an opportunity to ski a 200 and I was unimpressed enough that suddenly the Prostar is at the top of my list for future boats so apparently my brand loyalty wasn't all THAT strong.

Generally I tend to be with @Than_Bogan , I like his "brand momentum" concept. I think that's a good way of putting it.

• Baller

As far as boats I will own I am pretty brand loyal to Nautique. However, I will gladly ski behind any of the big tow boats.

I am not brand loyal on skis but my last few have been Radar skis. A lot of that comes down to local access for demos. I am willing to try just about anything.