When does your ski season start?

Horton

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Two answers. March or April depending on what we call here in Southern Canada "ice out". Consistent skiing...probably May and even that is tough sometimes. Season change often some rain, some wind, some very inconsistent temps, and then there is the whole daylight issue. Still trying to figure out why I live here.

@6balls where in Canada do you live that March skiing is possible? I realize Edmonton is pretty much right up there with the North Pole, but we have a foot of ice guaranteed that time of year.

We may get lucky and be able to ski the last week of April. But March would be a miracle.

• Baller

@david_quail I also live in Edmonton... simply can't imagine any circumstance where March skiing would be possible. @schafer will ski in April for sure, maybe with some chunks of ice :-)

I usually like a couple more weeks with the sun a bit higher and get rolling in mid-May.

• Baller
Our ice is out usually by mid March but can go into the week or so of April. We let it warm a bit before getting in to put the course back in. Usually skiing around the 20th of April. Earliest we have started was St Patrick's day and that was pushing it. I get nothing out of starting too early.

• Baller_

In the past few years, we have been free skiing in mid-March.

In 2016, I was preparing for an April Florida ski school trip and was running buoys here beginning on March 24.

Last year, we free skied on February 19, though the prop fell off the boat after the first skier and I did not get to ski until February 22.

We are always running buoys in April.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

What I’m sensing from this pole is that people are skiing earlier, in colder conditions than I thought. So what water/air temp is it for that first ski (and is it in a dry or wet suit)?

For us in NY, it’s usually been late May, mid 60s water temp, with either wet suit or just a bathing suit. Seems like we shouldn’t be such wimps!

• Baller_
@OscawanaSkier, my season start (and usually through June) is in a drysuit. We will ski with water in the 30s and air around 60. It’s a bit brutal then, but a bucket of hot water for feet and hands does the trick. When the water hits the 50s, it’s quite comfortable without requiring the bucket of hot water, but that still helps. Running buoys doesn’t work really well until we get into the 50s.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

We typically like the air to be 50 to ski....water after ice out is cold, 35 or so, cooler of hot water is a must.

A spring tradition is the "Ice out Double Double" snow ski in the morning and water ski in the afternoon, good stuff!

Much of our early skiing is in dry suits but I have skied in March in a shorty. One Week after we were back in dry till mid may. But then that's Michigan. Last year I skied in a shorty in Oct but back in a dry the next night. Day by day for me. I am so use to dry but can't what to get to a shorty.

• Baller
While I am skiing now (~1/x wk) I still consider it the off season. My season starts around March or as late as April. Season start means I start trying to get 2-3 days a week and take it more seriously. For now, it’s fun to ski the warm days and keep it chill. Today was 65/55 so not too bad.

• Baller
Yes I live in Florida and I voted April. I start to free style in March hit the course in April. I skied January 7th water temp 58. How do you people ski in cold water kinda kills the fun, I felt like a ice cube.

• Baller_
Had three sets on a new Vapor in the last 10 day's, body hurt after Friday's extravaganza but going after it again tomorrow. North Florida had a Cold Jan and first half of Feb. The water temp at Lake Jillian now in the high 70's so no extra rubber needed! The crew at Lake 38 pretty much skied winter non stop! Cory's is having a very nice early spring season full with international students. going to be a great ski season!