New CG Fin from Denali

Horton

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I have seen a lot of gimmicks come and go over the years. Off Set is real and this fin without Off Set is also the real deal. Before last Sunday i had only shortened to 35 2 or 3 times this year.

Last week I pulled out the c-65 and put the CG fin on it.

I took a couple rides to screw around with settings and then when I got it right last Sunday I ran three back-to-back 35s that were about as good as I ever run in August.

• Baller
It's mostly the ski..... but yea the fin is pretty sweet. Surprisingly forgiving to settings, I move it pretty much every other set and so far it's been skiable no matter where I put it, and I'm not talking a few thou. I've had the length from 6.8" to 7.1", some settings are better than others for sure but all have been very usable.

• Baller

Questions for those who have the newest C65/Fin and fin block combo.

Does the fin block still include the set screws to adjust fin area as it did last year?

On the order page for the fin it gives two choices - Denali or Everyone else. Just what is the difference? IE: Is the fin thickness different for the Denali? Placement of the holes in the fin different? Slot?

Last but not least specifically for those who might have added the fin to a C-65 they have ridden - flipping the wing over I feel a real change in how the ski feels especially on the edge change - with the lower placement of the wing what if any difference are you feeling?

Thanks to all those who are updating their experiences on the Denali products.

• Baller

@S1Pitts

The new fin block still has an offset screw but settings at this stage dont advise running any.

From what i can see Adam has said the Denali fin block is longer/has different hole spacings to other brands so maybe the length of the fin is less to suit other brands. I dont think its thicker. As far as the wing being lower I cant say I feel an obvious difference, it just seems placed right for that fin.

I am using the ski model before the c65 but have been on one and I can say the fin helps the older ski just as much.

I am sure it will feel good on different brands. When I try it on my D3 in the shed I'll let you know.

• Baller_

@S1Pitts re the wing position - I have been running my wing low for a very long time. The biggest difference I notice is there is better follow through, or better completion, of the turn. A secondary effect of the lower wing is they the ski “feels smoother”. Yeah, kinda hard to describe, but that’s what I notice.

After experimenting with all kinds of fins and wings over the last 35 years, I think the cg fin has several very promising and intriguing design features. I’m just waiting on the pony express for mine to show up.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Started skiing on a C-65 back in September. (stock fin) The ski is amazing! It was like my first time skiing on a Goode 9100 back in the day game changer.

Because I live in Florida and can ski year around, I was used as a test ski dummy to help find some boot placement and fin settings. The new CG fin has doubled up on the ski's performance. Boy's and Girls its the real deal. If you don't put this on your ski's to demo list you will be kicking yourself latter. The whole package is of the best quality.

It takes a little time to set it up, and you get the help from the Adam's and the Denali Forum. At 67 years old, skiing at 32.2mph I feel like a young kid again.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

The GOODE slot fin was slightly different in shape. It had a longer back end on it.

If you put a Denali CG fin at .700 DFT and a Goode Slot fin all the way back on the tail - a zero DFT, the deepest part of the fin is actually almost in the exact same place. Meaning the hydraulic center of pressure of both fins is probably very close to one another despite having completely different DFT positions.

I ordered a Denali specific fin this winter. Above comments mention the fins shipping the last week of April and then non Denali shipping the second week of May. Has anyone received a fin or tracking number?

• Baller
Guys- getting these fins made has taken longer than we were told. We don’t make these ourselves, they are made at a machine shop. As I said the first group of fins (fins for Denali Skis) have already shipped. The next batch will arrive at the shop next week and will be shipped immediately. Anyone who wants a refund reply to your order confirmation email and we’ll refund your money instead of sending you your fin.

• Baller

If anyone has an issue, message us. We are happy to refund your $$ today.

We are not trying to take advantage of anyone.

We love skiing and love to learn and are trying to share what we learn with others.

Paying thousands of dollars to have a small batch of fins machined in the off season after a long hard off season is expensive for us. The pre-sale is the only way to make it work for us at this time. We have had numerous unforeseen hiccups this spring along the way that have consume valuable time and resources. We are doing everything we can to get things out the door.

In case people are confused, or for anyone who does not understand Denali..... we run this operation from a 2 car garage with 2 people who live 1000miles apart on a shoestring budget.

If you expect perfection, go purchase things from a larger manufacturer.

We put our focus on designing things that work for short-line slalom skiing. I am not in this for the money, or for looking fancy, flashy, or cool. I'm in it because I love watersking.

When we get to the point the headaches in this business outweigh the rewards - which its very close already, Cord and I will simply design skis for ourselves.

Its pretty simple, we are choosing to do this... and we can easily choose not to.

• Baller
@adamhcaldwell @adamhcaldwell taking longer than expected is totally fine in a small boutique business. I don’t think that anyone here wants a refund. Some bit of communication would be nice that things got a bit delayed even more so that it was a presold product and that y’all are a small business where everyone knows your face. Y’all are not some large corporation who does not deal with the individual buyer unlike many other ski companies. Y’all have been awesome about getting on the forum and providing so much info that the recent sound of crickets was a bit unnerving. Don’t let this get you down or have a negative taste about providing your awesome products. I know the Denali is on my very short list of skis to try and i am looking forward to giving this new fin a rip!

• Baller_

Anyone who has worked trying to buy anything from a machine shop can confirm that lead times and backlogs have increased significantly in the last year. It has been bad for high volume, high dollar purchases let alone the little guys.

If anyone ever wanted to start a machine shop in their garage- and can do quality work - now is a good time to go for it.

Personally, I think this fin will be worth the wait.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@adamhcaldwell @AdamCord ... I just want to express my GREAT APPRECIATION for all you have provided. Both products and advice. Just your recommendations for boot modifications and differential fin tuning have substantially improved my skiing performance. I hope to someday in the near future to make a trip to Trophy Lakes to ski with Adam and test some of the new products and excellent instruction I know he provides.

Again, I just want to give my personal Thanks for all you Guy's have done, and I believe there are many Baller's out there that feel the same way.

Sincerely, Ed Johnson

• Baller

@adamhcaldwell - 39 yrs of working with large and small machine shops so I do understand.

This is really straight forward. Your company offered a product. Those of us who purchased knew we were buying a bleeding edge product that showed potential. We paid in good faith the asking price knowing that there was some risk dealing with a fledgling company but the potential outweighed the risk in my mind.

I do not believe anyone here questioned your integrity, abilities, or the hard work and sacrifices that has been put into developing your products. We simply were looking for a reset on an reasonable expectation for delivery.

We are all passionate which is why we ski beyond a recreation level. It is this passion that fuels great things such as Denali.