My next boat will be New, Promo or Used

Horton

• Baller
I would love to say that I will be able to afford to talk to my promo guy and get him to order one just to my liking that I can buy from him after a year or two. However, in my financial situation, I see that as the much less likely option. I think it's a lot more likely that right around 2022 as my boat hits 25 years old, that I get tempted by some reasonably good price on a 2015 prostar that is equipped how I would want. By that time, a promo prostar will probably be around $80k and I can maybe get a prostar with a tower and a big engine for 50-55k...I hope. Or if I could get super lucky, I could find a 2012 200 with a big engine and a tower that skis better than the one 200 I have skied so far for maybe even less than that, like $45k? I would really like to ski more 200s to see if the one I skied just didn't have his hydrogate adjusted very well.

• Baller

Having just gone through this, the promo option was a no-brainer for us. The gap between a full-warrantied, low-hour, current year promo boat and a "few years old" boat was not enough to justify going for the few-years-old one particularly with financing, e.g. finance a 2013 boat that's 45K vs. a current promo sold essentially as-new 20% off at 52-60K. Valuation was higher, lower rate was possible as well and now you can check off the "bought the dream boat" bucket list item.

Brand new was a ROFLOL price and seemed like an insane option reserved for folks with a LOT more money than us or those who were unaware of promo boats.

• Baller

By a few years old I am thinking in general the previous hull design for me. I don't think I could afford or justify the price for the current hulls until they are superseded with a new iteration. That is why I just picked up a ZO equipped 196. I just couldn't justify the extra 10k for a 200.

Maybe someday if I was flush with cash or was competing at a level that required it, but until then my 'few years old' will likely be a previous hull generation boat.

• Baller
Demo from Bennetts. If you talk to them before their production slot is filled you can pick all your options they use it in there ski school for a couple months for a good price. little quicker than if you want to pick your options on a promo don't have to wait a year to get the boat. It was a good option for me!

• Baller

What I want to do is new or promo. But shat I can afford is older than that.

Curious - what pricing should we assume for this discussion? New from big three - $75K, promo from big three 1-2 years old - $55K, big three 5-6 years old - $35K? Those numbers are what drove my vote.

• Baller
I will be searching SIA in a couple years for a used promo. Really want a Master Craft to replace the 86 pro star I have right now but might end up with centurion because of the price difference. New boats are a little too pricey for the 5 (maybe 6) months I get to use it.