No more tournaments for me

Razorskier1

• Baller
@Razorskier1 glad you are still here with us. We have a guy we ski with@MikeT who skied one season with a patch on one eye due to some double vision issues he was having. Remembers that for motivation as you get stronger.

• Baller
Hey Jim the FAA examiner for my private license only had one eye due to an accident (non aviation related). He flew a J 3 Cub from MA to FL on several trips landing at remote gas stations to refuel along the way. He went on to earn Commercial, Instrument CFI and CFIi ratings. All can be overcome if the desire is strong. Reading of your marathon Ski sets I have no doubt that your desire is very strong. Keep the faith.

• Baller

@Razorskier1

Its no big deal to not do tournaments. Just enjoy it as you always have and make the most of the sport so dear to us all. I haven’t done one in 3 years now and MS has none planned this year and has done less in the last few years. I would actually prefer visiting places like Ski Watch and such when there is no tournament. At tournaments I see MS in the morning and then at night!!! LOL

Stay strong Jim we all love you!

Please come this summer and hang out with us...we will have fun :)

Xo

• Baller

It's a little different than that, ballers...left visual field in both eyes not simply left eye.

Now...here are some of my Jim Ross tournament memories:

First a barefoot tourney: most don't know this but you don't want to endurance barefoot ie) footstock style against JIm. I don't suck but I have diggers to show for it on video of the two of us in rough water. We both skied Footstock in the early 90's. Jim got the worst draw EVER. Most guys are going down well before a full figure 8...shoot 2 of my guys missed their step-offs and I go to the next round without expending energy. Every time Jim goes out there he's against a stinking pro and goes a couple 8's before digging in...so many miles on his feet without the reward...yah had to feel bad for the guy.

Pickle Farm, Iowa. So believe it or not at one time in Jim's life he wasn't a stud in the course. The boat was supposed to pull his opener at 32 mph 15 off and I think they blew down the course at 36. He got like one buoy and then skied super close to shore where we were and was like "That's not 32!"

Dream Lakes, Iowa. Horrible wind comes up second round right down the course...like it's white capping. Almost all skiers scratch. Jim takes 35 opener into the wind and runs it. Smoothed out after 5 ball, he says.

Waterloo, Iowa. He wants 38 really bad and keeps crushing 35's in the 3 round tourney getting deep 38 but not out the end gates. The last one he is getting later and I'm on video screaming at him to pull. He clears 6 ball and has a ton of slack...I think he could have stepped onto the platform of the boat. Hangs on and the slack hits at the end gates and he goes all Wyle E. Coyote out the front not letting go til he hits the water. His ski sits perfectly vertical between the end gates.

Waterloo, Iowa: my first tourney at 34 mph in M3. Jim is boat judging and I run 5 @38. Jim runs 38. As it turns out @razorross3, Jim and myself all PB that day.

Glenwood: Jim's back is all screwed up...his quad isn't even firing. I manage to screw up my back, too, and decide to scratch next round. Jim goes out and runs 35 basically on one leg and half way down 38. I put my name back on the board, go out to the end of the dock. Jim sets my ski down for me, and opens my binding so I can drizzle soap in there and get my foot in cuz I can't bend over. Ran 35 as well and half way down 38 as well. What can I say...he's always been my role model (even when he's not very bright)!

Jim goes to skiwatch...tells me it's the coolest shit ever, that big dawgs are skiing there and I go with him every year since. Beer, sun, ribs, friends, some great skiing, some whacky stories, some more PB's all good. Jim was there for my lifetime PB and no one was happier for me. Mitch has since joined us there annually and cranked out PB's like every single round.

Skiwatch: Jim runs 38 and I'm running the camera...I'm all fired up. He comes back at 39 and is killing it mid course and I'm coming out of my skin. He implodes at 5 ball. I go running my ass off for the starting dock this would be a 2.5 ball PB and in reality he HAD it. Halfway down the announcer says "Dave, you can come back. The boat judge (a baller who knows who he is) didn't shorten the rope". I'd make fun of @MS if I didn't do the same stupid thing a number of years later to another skier :smiley:

Non tourney stories...well that would fill a book. From running 38 thinking I got my bro this day and then he runs 39, from barefoot lines at midnight, from breaking 3 ski ropes slalom skiing in one day, from 30 consecutive passes 32 off or shorter in one set, from a few warm up passes and 12 straight 35 of passes in one set, from "come back here I'm going to beat you like a pinata", to teaching SO many kids to ski, to finding panties on the throttle ball in the morning (just glad I chose to ski first)...yikes what a ride.

No one more tenacious then and now than my bro Jim.

• Baller

Jim, Joe (another brother) and I learned to barefoot about the same...stepping out of skis long line in trunks and vests behind a metal-flake outboard rocket boat (Switzer SK 175).

Jim was injured I can't remember just what so Joe and I are having mixed success with Jim driving...taking some diggers, sometimes staying up for a while and thinking he we had it there.

Jim is giving advice and we're getting tired of it. "Listen pal...think you know so much... YOU get out there!" He goes back and nails his first step off clean and just keeps going.

Once we all kinda had it down...we decided a 3 bro barefoot pic would be cool. My Dad pulled us though that outboard would barely get us all out of the hole. Seemed one way or another someone would miss their step-off and take a digger...usually Joe or myself....ok it was mostly Joe who stands nearly 6 ft 7. It took about 10 tries and if I remember right Jim didn't whiff all day. I was 12, Jim was 21 and Joe 22...all back there in trunks--they were shorter in those days--vests, no gloves, no neoprene. Just three brothers giving it hell with their Dad at the wheel. Good stuff.

• Baller
I'm pulling for you !...kind of like a skier who wants to run the course for the first time...mentally and physically not easy....we want it sooo bad but know with a bit more time and help we will get to 6 ball and out the gates! Yesir

• Baller
Jim, we all love you brother!!! You may not be able to see as well, but each and every one of us who know you can see quite clearly that you are a fantastic human being!! Now put those girls on your biceps again and hold them tight. Chasing balls has nothing compared to being close with those you love. So brother, you may not be pulling 39 anymore, but in life you are running 43 off!!!

• Baller

My Mom had GBM...one of the things her physical therapist always said was each day do something, because it's always better to do something than nothing. Her and I walked arm in arm almost every day because she was largely unable to walk on her own.

As you said...some days she really had to dig deep...her courage and strength inspired all of us who were there with her.

Keep it up!

• Baller_
Just got an update from @Razorskier1 and it’s not good. He is unable to ski now. I can’t even digest it and now I am thinking about how much I love to ski and what if it was me. Please up the thoughts and prayers for Jim and also take some time to reflect on the important things in life. Hang in there @Razorskier1 I am pulling out all the stops for you.