Change oil in Spring or not?

Tdub

• Baller

My oil is like a year and a half old because I only put 20-30ish hours a year or so and didn't change it last fall. My boat is also stored in a garage not sure if that matters but I wouldn't change the oil if you just did it in the fall. Most car applications say change every X miles or 1 year so having oil sit for a few months is not going to be bad.

I actually have heard its best to change it in the fall right before you let it sit for several months so your engine is sitting with contaminates in the oil.

• Baller

Fall, ALWAY!

Acids and byproducts of combustion accumulate in your oil and will eat away at metal parts, soft metal bearings etc. This includes your bottom end or transmission. If the bottom end on your out board has a bad seal, water could get in and rust the bearings and possibly freeze, expand and split open your gear case. All this allows the parts to sit in nice, fresh oil over the long winter. If you need to replace a seal or anything else, you have all winter to do it. When spring comes, BOOM, hit the water! All the work is done.

• Baller

Are you asking whether to change oil that's never been run just because it's been sitting? No, not necessary. No difference between storing new oil in a bottle or in your engine.

As for when to change it, change it in the fall. As others have mentioned, get the contaminants and moisture out of it before it sits all winter.

• Baller

If the oil is black, change it. If that happens in spring, so be it. Changing oil before you need to wastes valuable resources.

Impellers, frozen blocks, corroded oil pans, wrong timing, diesel instead of gasoline (or gas years old enough to diesel), water lines that get disconnected (check after mussel decontamination) or some external failure will cause premature engine failure. As long as there is oil, that won't be your problem.

Eric