• Baller

Can someone help with the rules for scoring?

I was watching the cast and noticed that Jason McClintock scored 1.5 buoys on one of his passes. I believe the announcer confirmed his score with the judges at the time.

To me it looked like only a 1.25 buoy count, but I'm just not clear on how the rule book judges scoring on how the skier rounds the ball.

Thanks.

w5t77t1xlnks.jpg

• Baller

@hemloc the thing to keep in mind is that none of the event judges were sitting where that picture was taken (I believe). The only views relevant for the call are from the boat and the towers where the judges are located.

But based on that photo alone, does look like 1.25. Looks close though. Like if he skied a few more feet with his hand on the handle it would be 1.5 because he would cross back inside the buoy line.

• Baller
That was a rad event. Love the webcast, love the spot. Anyone else surprised that the women’s 1st place is only 2/3 of the Mens? Great scores on both sides... so easy to do 2500/2500. My opinion.

• Baller
I agree with @horton - score is 1. Rope left the hand before the ski made to to the line running through the boat guides and the turn buoy. Just remember, the judges are human looking at it one time in real time. No need to nit-pick the calls. The sport is too small and there isn't enough money riding on it to justify video review of every buoy.

• Baller

Thought it was a GREAT Web-Cast. Playback, Slo-Mo, Stop Action, and aerial views. Plus you can play it back without waiting days. I appreciate and "Thank" those for all the work that went into it's production.

Also, it was FREE !!!

• Baller

Think we need something like the "Lexi Rule" that Golf adopted . . .

Also, just three weeks after Thompson was hit with the four-shot penalty, the USGA and R&A released a new Rules of Golf decision decision (34-3/10) limiting video evidence in two ways:

1. If an infraction can’t be seen with the naked eye, there’s no penalty, even if video shows otherwise.

2. If a tournament committee determines that a player does “all that can be reasonably expected to make an accurate estimation or measurement” in determining a line or position to play from or to spot a ball, then there will be no penalty even if video replay later shows that to be wrong.

• Baller_
The tournament score was in an R, no? If so, there was boat video and a video review judge watching the screen. If he/she disagreed with the tower judges, it’s his job to bring to the CJ’s attention for further review. If he didn’t, and there were no protests, my guess is the skier got the score he deserved.

Lpskier

• Baller
I enjoyed watching the tournament; the different video angles were great. I found it interesting that Nate wasn't in the top 10 for pull on the boat and that got me to thinking. Nate is 6'2" but a mere 165lbs. Given that he is so efficient on his ski, I wonder what size ski he rides? If he rides a 67, I'm going to need someone to make me a 72. I'm 6'2" but 205.

• Administrators
I have more or less watched the whole replay.... I have to say it is darn cool that all if it is on youtube. Swiss has set the bar for quality webcasts.