Is a SN 200 OB going to feel small?

jercrane

• Baller

I'm very close to selling my Prostar 197 and locking in a '17 SN 200 OB. Is the the Nautique going to feel small and cramped coming out of the 197? Nautique is like 7 inches wider but the saddle bags take up so much space from looking at pics. At least in the pics. I sadly have not put my hands on a 200 OB yet (this weekend).

I really wan t to go with the 200 for drivability and wake but I am not prepared to listen to my family complain every time we go for a cruise on the lake. Anyone have any experience here?

• Baller
I think that the 200 feels fine compared to the 197. While the saddle bags do take up room, they are aft of the driver and passenger seats, That said, the new Prostar feels way more open than either boat.

• Baller
Last boat was a 197 and our club boat is a 200 and I now have a 14 prostar. I miss the sundeck option of the 197 so much, it was amazing for afternoons spent floating around the lake. I like my new boat quite a bit, but no place to really "relax". The 200 is an amazing club boat, but not sure how awesome it would be to take the family out for the day in. Probably depends on what you all enjoy doing with your free time.

• Baller

+1 on the bow dunk. I like to think of the bow on my 200 has a bucket that likes to be filled with water. On the plus side the carpet snaps out so even if you do get water up there its not that big of a deal.

I don't notice the saddle bags taking up space. They are great to store your gear and clear up the floor.

• Baller

I have never seen the back seat in the 200 at the club, but it looks like the grab handles could be used in the same way as a 197 does it? It wouldn't be as large as the 197, but still have a nice sitting area during floating.

My brother and I use our boats almost 100% just for leisure boating, but want to be able to ski when we cant make it to the club. It is a weekly conversation of which is best for an all around family day at the lake. Saddles are awesome at the club while one person is not skiing, but not sure where I would put my large cooler for long days on the lake in a 200. My 197 with a tower was amazing for taking 4-6 people, drinks, wakeboard, combo skis, and even deflated tubes out on public water for the day.

Lets be honest, neither boats are gonna make for a terrible day on the lake!!!

• Baller

@MS really the bow dunk is worse on the SN 200 than then MC 197? ugh I feel like I'm constantly vigilant for the bow dunk in the 197. In fact I'm nervous to let anyone drive if we are in anything but glass.

sigh, why is life constant tradeoffs?

• Baller

@jercrane I have a 200 OB that I previously used on a public lake. My parents also have a 2014 Prostar. Both boats are great boats, however, personally I don't like the saddlebags on the 200. The saddlebags are only useful when you are actually in the boat. Since I keep my boat on a lift - am I really going to keep a bunch of equipment in the saddlebags where it can be stolen?

And the 200 was always a problem dunking the nose. It got so bad that I moved the 200 out to a private lake where I ski the course and bought a larger family boat.

I know I sound like a grumpy old man here - but my experience.

• Baller_
@jercrane I saw the YouTube vid that shows that 197 doing the submarine up here on lake Minnetonka. With our new Prostar we have to watch it when we swing back to dock after dropping skiier off. It don’t take much to go under.

• Baller
@jercrane - don’t throw in the towel yet! The saddlebags do a nice job of addressing the skis which will make the boat feel roomier as you are tripping over things. They drive and ski great, but all tournament open bows take some vigilance in wakesurf infested waters. Looking forward to seeing you Saturday am.

• Baller

I came from a 197 and now have a 200 OB.

Thought I would hate the saddlebags but turns out I love them. Great for tons of stuff when out with the family or ski buddies.

The bow is a bit smaller but nobody would notice. You do have to watch the bow with people up there but I think it’s aboit the same as the 197.

The one thing we do miss is the sundeck to hang out on. But it got a ton of wear when we had skiers jumping on and over it all the time. The swim platform on the 197 is bigger and better with the little cut outs for handles to pull yourself up on.

Like the Bimini on the 200 better.

The 200 skis and drives better no question but a do miss my 197 at times.

When the time comes to sell my 200 I may go back to MC. The new Nautique is closed bow, kind of hard on the eyes and way to expensive for me. Probably even used. Have been skiing the Prostar at the boarding school and it’s great. Drove it without a skier and it seemed okay. Maybe not as good as a 200 but pretty darn good. Would like to drive one in the course to really see.

Have a look at the new Prostar but the 200 will not disappoint it’s a ski machine that the family will still enjoy on the lake.

• Baller
Also have a 197 but also wonder if we would miss the sundeck in a new prostar. The previous gen of Malibu Response had the sundeck up until I think 2016 with a walk thru bow, and the bow seems to sit a little higher. A lot more freeboard than the 197 in the back too. Always thought that'd be a great option for the family.

• Baller
@Lars yeah I don’t know why but I have this decades old bias against Malibu. In the late 90’s I skied with a guy who had a Malibu and everything just seemed so cheap on it. Skied fine and all but I felt like every other thing was broken or about to break. Ever since then I’ve kind of never considered. Probably dumb.

• Baller

I use my 200 OB on Lake Cumberland a lot and really like it. The downside as others have said is taking water over the nose. It is made worse on "lake" days because we have more people and gear. It is only a problem when coming down to idle zones with all the big cruiser wakes. You have to bump the throttle to keep the bow up.

One of the best features to me is the Hydrogate, you can raise it to trick mode and it dramatically makes taking other boat wakes and whitecaps better. On Lake Cumberland this is a huge benefit. A lot of days we will make 80 mile trips through snotty water and the bow up attitude really softens the blow. One trip we got caught out in a storm with big whitecaps and I was able to find a speed that the 200 just cruised over them. Very few people use their 200's this way, but I am impressed by it. By just tournament driving the MC and Malibu I would say they are very capable Lake boats as well. I can't even consider the new Ski Nautique til they offer an open bow, the girls would not tolerate giving up riding in the bow.

• Baller
I'll chime in. I have an 07 lxi fully loaded and on public water. I'm getting interested in a newer boat, but my reluctance is losing a lot of the features our family uses and really likes. the wedge is great, the bow is the largest of the 3 and actually big enough for wife and daughters, 11 and 13 and basically full size. My daughters ride in there all the time. I have to be cautious on really rough or busy days to not dunk it when coming off plane, but a lot less than 197, or 200, plus there is a lot more room. the rear trunk and sun pad are used a lot. the boat is dialed in and skis great.. just thinking the wake may be slightly improved/smaller at 26-32mph for wife and kids at 15' and 22' off with a newer boat, at 34mph its perfect right down the line. In reviewing this post, I think I may have just saved myself $25k... but getting a new boat is fun too.

• Baller
I believe the OP @jercrane has a unique issue with an overzealous marine patrol agent chasing him on “rated capacity” on the coast guard plate. Only the SN is rated 9, all of the others are at 7. Growing up we had a marine patrol guy living on the lake. Lou could make your life hell if he wanted too!

• Baller
@bdecker is right. This all started because we regularly have a need for 8 in the boat (when not skiing) and sometimes 9. This is dicey with the 197 ... at least technically speaking. I realize the SN 200 doesn't actually have more seating or anything like that but a plate that says 1400+ and 9p matters unfortunately. I contemplated getting a pontoon and keeping the MC but the wife said she doesn't want our dock looking like a Marina. We already have the kid's Whaler.

• Baller
@loopski yes the issue is not about practical application and the ability to fit 'em in. Its the CG plate. I mean if I really wanted to get nefarious I suppose I could design a sticker in Photoshop with the SN 200 stats on a Mastercraft sticker and have Stickermule print me one on adhesive vinyl and stick it over the top. :wink:

• Baller
I went to a 200 OB from a Malibu VTX V Drive. It’s smaller for sure but the way it drives and skis in the course make it worth it. I don’t think it will feel any smaller than a 197, it will probably actually feel roomier. The saddle bags are nice to get stuff off the floor. I’m on public water and I’ve never dunked the bow. I have come close though. I did buy a pontoon about the same time so anytime we go to hang out with a lot of people we take the toon.

• Baller

@jercrane we popped a 115 hood on a 140 hp motor on a 13.5 ft boat when I was a kid that was rated for 115. Fast little boat.

Sorry about that part of your situation. Maybe think about if it's important to put gear (more than skis) away--out of sight in bags to clear up floor or if the MC side racks taking care of skis is enough? The floor room in a Prostar is astonishing and access to skis with those racks is the bomb. Having said that if you want to put stuff "away" perhaps the Nautique with the bags is the way to go.

Is either more weight sensitive on wake ie) if you have a big crew the wake goes to pot more-so? The SN hull is also draggier and takes more power to push...would this come into play if the boat is frequently loaded with people?

• Baller

I agree with @"Eric Kelley" if you shift to trick mode the bow really rises up and less Hull is in the water at all speeds. My 200 will actually hit 52 mph with the 6.0 like this.

If you put people in the bow on rougher water just make sure you have people sitting in the back seat to balance it off.

• Baller
@braindamage yeah well the kids are 13 and 10 and NH has a 25HP limit for underage boaters. also the kids aren't driving dad's boat ... like ever. Or at least until they have enough skills to drive me skiing :)

• Baller
@braindamage yeah I mean I “hyperbolize” but truth is yes I would like my daughters learning to drive as soon as possible. They can’t get a safe boater permit until 16 in NH. I have a pretty rigorous dad test they have to pass to drive the Whaler solo. 13 YO almost passed last year. She will get it this year. Then we’ll start working in learning to drive an inboard. Honestly the biggest challenge for them is learning our lake and less about boat operation. It’s a tricky lake to navigate. Weird little non obvious high spots in open water etc. if you don’t know the lake or know how to read buoys you are screwed. I’ve seen lower units torn off IOs and an inboard that sheared the skegs and the entire drive train clean off on a ledge. Stuff of nightmares.