2019 Vapor

ROBOT

• Administrators

The 2019 Vapor is here! Carrying the same shape as the 2018 Vapor, we have found this ski to be our most popular and successful ski yet. The ski features an updated Textreme Carbon woven with Innegra but other than that remains unchanged. Get out there and rip on the Vapor!

• Baller
Hey guys, just wanted to chime in on the new ski. Color options are electric blue and volt yellow. The 19 vapor keeps the same shape and rocker profile of the 2018 that proved to be so successful in its ability to create and maintain speed into and out of turns, keeps its buttery, intuitive edge to edge transfers and over all flowy feel, and it’s rock solid tip to tail balance. New for 2019 is textreme infused with inegra carbon construction. This combination gives the ski a more balanced, connected feel through the turn which results in a more intuitive feeling ski that finishes tighter radius turns that keep the skier riding a more upcourse line. Could not be more stoked about the results of this ski. For the downlow on the ski, come visit @brooks, my self, and our other pro skiers at the Radar booth at Nationals or stay tuned to @radarskis social networks for more info in the coming weeks.

• Industry Professional
The NFC chips allow you to scan them with your phone and they will talk you to a product page with details on the ski, tech information, size charts and fin settings. Not fully applicable to most on this site that access that kind of info but very cool for those walking into a shop with little info and hoping to learn more. We’re just tapping into this technology and hoping to utilize it more in coming years.

• Baller
@brooks is this NFC chip the first step instrumenting the skis so we can get feedback on our skiing after each set? Add a few strain gauges and a GPS puck to each ski and you've got a ski that could keep @Than_Bogan occupied for years.

• Baller
First set out of the box right into PB territory. I try a lot of skis every season and this is an insanely good ski. My philosophy has always been that when you buy something this expensive it should immediately feel "good/better". This ski does that with no fuss, which is a rare trait.

• Baller
Yes, I tried both 2019 skis. 34mph only, my cold opener is 22@34mph. Both felt great at 22 but most modern skis do. The Vapor made 28 feel easy on the first crack. Senate took dialing in and ultimately felt like the wrong ski for me personally. Felt big. I could run 28 on the Senate but not consistently. I’m 5’9” 185lbs. FWIW the skis are both good but different for sure. Had great support from Rossi and Brooks all the way through. I have some videos of the Senate on my YouTube channel (fifteenoff) if you want to see that ski combined with my terrible form, ha.

• Baller

@mcskier41 I'm not comfortable giving detailed ski reviews at my skill level. The differences are nontrivial and global. For me the SP was an OK ski. Pretty good. Consistent with expectations for any modern ski. Tough turning onside at -28 for me consistently on that ski and for me tough to get a repeatable glide. Had I stuck with it, I would have been fine long-term. My offside stack is horrible making 2/4 vulnerable turns in general.

The VPB was "holy shit this isn't even fair" good. Questioning-the-boat-driver-on-speed-good. Giddy-talking-to-boat-crew-at-each-end-of-the-lake-good. Best first set on any ski and I've run 5 skis this summer. Hopefully this honeymoon continues! I'll get some video up soon.

Can't speak for skill levels below or above mine but that's what I felt between those skis.

• Baller
Skied one today! Felt really nice although it was the first really windy set I’ve had in a while. I’m on a 2018 now and not sure if I could tell the difference blindfolded. Fins were not exact to the 1000th (but within 5/1000th), so it felt a little quicker but not really sure if that was due to a minor fin difference.

• Baller

@jhughes

I'm probably similar level to you and must say you need not make any apologies. Your comparison was perfect. That feeling of giddiness is exactly what I'm searching for and find as of recent so hard to find.

And that description of "questioning boat driver speed all good?" Is dead nuts on.

Thank you!

• Baller
So I was lucky enough to get one of these skis and it is unbelievable! I came off a 2018, but this ski seems even better! Fast, smooth as butter in the turns, and just wants to do its job getting through the course. Set boots to stock settings and fin where I had my 2018 and I was off to the races! Love this ski!

• Baller
I tried the new Vapor 2019 last week (thank you, @brooks ). As I compare it to my 2016 Vapor, even with my still very limited slalom skills, it felt very zippy, stable and forgiving. Simply awesome. I had my own boots mounted on it, so the only difference was the ski.

• Baller
@jhughes or any others that demo several skis. Is the Vapor a drastic change from D3 skis. I've been skiing d3 for several skis now, and am able to order a new one every couple of years and it feels comfortable but improved right from the first set. I don't have easy access to demo skis, (in Canada) but this sounds like a great ski. I'm just a bit hesitant as it may feel drastically different than current d3 skis. I'm basing this on a recent ride on ski partners Connelly prophesy, that felt way way different. thanks

• Baller
I generally love D3 skis and also own an ARC-S which I've been skiing a bit this summer. There won't be any crazy transition period with a properly set up Vapor. I think that's what you're asking. You won't have to burn sets to "get used to it" (nor should you with any modern ski that's properly set up).

Yummy!

1st set on the Blue 2019 Pro Build Vapor happened yesterday and it was so good!

I know I should ski it more than one set before giving my thoughts but I am not sure I will have the chance to ski again this year so I felt it appropriate to chime in.

Settings

10 degree

So I get to the lake knowing I forgot my contacts. Had to find a boot lace and tie my glasses to my head. Weird skiing in glasses with all the water spots but I knew it would be better than skiing with everything blurry.

So then the offer is thrown out "Hey you want to try the 19?" Uhm let me think.... hell yes!

Went out at -28 and right away everything feels more connected to the water I am not feeling tip rise on my offside and my turns feel very symmetrical on both sides. This feeling of being connected seems to be putting me early and wide with more time to think about the spots on my glasses before the next buoy. Big big smile as I settle in.

-32 slight tail wind no problem ski is working amazing and dang that offside turn!!

-35 perfect set up with the slight head wind and Boom! Smoked it and -35 is my tuff pass really only run it 25% of the time in practice and cant tell you the last time it dropped in a tournament.

-38 tail got way stretched out at one and barely held on to get back behind the boat.

-38 head wind and I'm thinking about the spots on my glasses lol!! Got a really good gate and totally hammer one ball get over to two so early I am like dam and same thing coming off of two I am in such good position my brain says don't over pull going to three get off the edge son!! And well you know the rest of the story ski hits the 3 ball and I stand it up not wanting to risk blowing up an ankle.

back to 35 tail for the last pass got a full 5 skiing just inside 6 ball.

Overall coming from the 18 I found great benefit in the new ski and will be making a purchase!

Balanced, Connected, Symmetrical, Early and Wide come to mind. Absolutely love this new ski! Definitely feeding my addiction and cannot wait to get back on the water!

35 just felt easy on this ski. I've said this before and will say it again material changes and material lay up can make a big difference in performance with the exact same mold.

• Baller
This ski is certainly something special. I'm well past the honeymoon period and still amazed by its incredible blend of attributes. It creates space like crazy while at the time forgiving horrific errors. Keep in mind I've skied nearly a dozen different skis over the past couple seasons. This ski is the biggest leap forward I've personally experienced so far in slalom equipment. As close to "magic" as it gets.