SN 196 Bubble Back Rudder

EricW

• Baller

Have a 196 without the adjustable rudder, it looks like the PO ground the right side significantly probably to make the rudder feel neutral (is pretty neutral rudder now). The MC/BU's grind the right side so this is ground on the wrong side to create pull. Should I grind the left side to add rudder or keep grinding the right so the boat has rudder (pull to one side)? The rudder didn't come like this from the factory right? 83gpl76idwep.jpg

cet5w8auetjr.jpg

• Baller
Jody is right on. It's not fixable. The prior owner probably tried to make the boat pull the opposite way so that the weight of his left hand/arm would help offset the steering wheel pull. That doesn't work. Any more grinding will make the boat squirrely if it's not already.

• Baller_

You “may” be able to save it, but you will need to get really aggressive with the grinder. Take an 1/8 or 1/4” straight off the back, then get after it in the left side. You don’t have anything to loose.

If the PO had don’t that on the left side it would be just about right.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Rudders aren't voodoo. The specific rudder shipped with the boat was optimized for the boat. But there have been so many shapes for rudders on similar boats that the range of what will give you good service might be quite wide. @Jody_Seal has probably experimented with rudders that are unsafe - so he will properly warn you against any changes. My old American Skier has hundreds of safe trouble free hours on the cut down yacht rudder that I used after the factory rudder broke off. That was a bit dicey when it broke. When your rudder gets rattling loose replace it and the rudder housing before it breaks.

Rudders do wear. When they wear, replacement is the only fix. Perhaps the grinding was a response to the loose feel of a worn rudder and rudder box. Replace them both (and your steering cable) for that new boat feel.

Regarding the wrong side grind, just reverse the engine rotation (Nautiques back the wrong way anyhow).

Honestly, I'd just grind the heck out of the other side until it feels good. If it never feels good, replace it. Or try @jcmccavit 's trick of adding the trim tab. But budget for a new rudder and rudder box.

Eric

• Baller

So, my boat is a 97. It came from San Jose, CA with the rudder ground just like the one above. I was told by and old Nautique engineer they did that on my 91 to ease the pressure out of a full turn to the right, not to load the steering. Anyway here is what it looks like now and it is one of the best steering bubble backs I have driven. emgt8kxqa14v.jpg

• Baller
Had exact same problem with mine, I had a thread about it somewhere. Jody said exact same thing to me so I bought another off him which he ground a little off correct side for me and works perfectly with the load it has on it now. Just get another and do it properly.

• Baller
Thank you all for the great info and your previous experience its very helpful, we talked about adding the adjustable trim tab like @JC McCavit said, so I am glad to see it has been done and successfully worked. I will have a talk with the machine shop and if that's not viable I will look for a new one. Thanks again!

• Baller
If you're thinking about taking the rudder off and taking it to a machine shop just put a new one in. By the money you spend in the machine shop you'd be well on your way to a new rudder. However as @Bruce_Butterfield said, grind the s**t out of it. What do you have to lose? I suppose one could replace the rudder with a later model with the adjustable tab??

• Baller

This thread got me thinking... My new to me 97 steers much harder to the right than the left, even with a repacked and greased rudder and a new steering cable (it's perfect in neutral). I always thought the grinding on the rudder was just knocking off the casting edges, but thinking it may be a ground rudder. Thoughts on the grind on this one? Looks a little more ground on one side. ggyap1qnr2vm.jpg

zs1r6se1y196.jpg