Bigger Guys Skiing Better Behind Zero Off?

ghutch

• Baller
Back when ZO came out I was skiing 22 off 34 mph and getting into 28. 6' 3" 215lbs. ZO would launch me through the wakes and I could not maintain good body position. Hooking up out of the turn you could really hear the engine racing. Got very disgusted with ZO and hated it. Now obviously it has greatly improved and I'm skiing better than ever, (B2) setting, occasionally running 35 and starting into 38. I really can't tell much difference from PP to ZO now as I get to ski with both systems. Just wondering if there are any other big guys out there with the same experience?

• Baller
6’1 and 185 (was 200 when I started skiing regularly) and not a great skier by any means. Could run confident and in good position and gain a whole pass with my PP classic and still be in solid legit times on a surveyed course. Same course, same driver but older version ZO on ‘07 SN and I was feeling just like you described and losing a whole pass. Newer ZO boats weren’t such a problem. When I’d mention it to my ski partners it was “nothing wrong with the boat, you’re just a poor skier”. Finally I gave up and left my gear at the dock and never went back.

• Baller
@Orlando76 I gave it up after skiing in an INT tournament and not running a pass @ 22. My fairly easy opener at that time. Didn't know why and thought my skiing was just crap. Really frustrated and quit for about 2 months. Finally figured out it was ZO and my poor position. ZO has come a looong way so give it another shot. Too fun a sport to give up on.

• Baller
@jimski if I understand correctly you must have a single puck system. Then you get the new version from ZO and install rev S just like any previous upgrade. With a 2011 you probably upgraded from Q to R, so same process.

• Baller

I'm only 175-180 (on a 5'7" frame) and I'm noticing a difference too.

At least I think I am... the obvious factor that's difficult for any of us to isolate is how with each successive time on ZO, are we — consciously or sub-consciously — learning to adjust to it.

I think the Nautique I usually ski behind is a 2014. A couple of weeks ago I had a run behind a 2019 and it seemed much softer. A few years back I took a bunch of sets behind a 2012 and it seemed a lot harsher than what I was used to. Granted, each of those boats were on different lakes with different water.

• Baller
@jjackkrash are you saying that if you already have a single puck system you need additional hardware? I was under the impression that all that was needed was a software upgrade to S. Upgrades used to be free, but now cost, how much? I heard $50.

• Baller
@leonL you need access to: (1) E2046002A = $179.00 – ECOM CAN/USB adapter; and (2) E1557500 = $70.80 – Marine Harness to upgrade the software. The software upgrade is $50. Your dealer probably has the cables. I just bought them to have them going forward.

• Baller

I had an OTF like that going to the 5.2 Songle Puck using A1+. I went to B2 and that seemed to be more in sync with my 07 Excalibur on A1+.

You get a slightly faster gate on the +, but that’s my strong side lean so I use that to my advantage. Not sure it would work the same for LFF.

• Baller
I'm 5'11" 230 lbs. I definitely muscle the pull coming out of the turn. A friend suggested C2. It has made a huge difference for me. If I have a clean turn and and set up for the pull, the boat whips me across the wake with minimal effort, especially as the rope gets shorter.

• Baller

I don't think I have tried the + settings yet. I am 6' 200 lbs but have been told that I am fairly light on the boat for a guy my size. I was always an A2 guy mostly because I didn't get many sets behind ZO. This year my buddy has been randomly trying different settings for me on my easier passes and I have been skiing more on C1 or C2 I forget exactly which. Some settings just felt bad right away.

The thing I am not 100% certain on is how that will translate to my harder passes but I likely won't ski any of them until next year.

• Baller_

Just trying to make things better for my fellow ballers.

@zero-off You know it’s not illegal to let my boat give me a 16.98 once in awhile.

@perfect-pass would give me a 16.98 instead of pounding a 16.95 out of me if I pull a little harder then normal.

It can be done but YOU DONT CARE about me

• Baller_
@Bruce_Butterfield they have the ability to make it feel nice and they don’t. I can handle a 95 but how about a smooth 95? The rules do allow for some tollarance so why the pull punishment if I run into a problem. Make it catch up over the remainder of the course and not by the next ball.

• Baller_

@ms I agree with you. What I was poking at is the very common misconception that the time is associated with the quality of the pull. A “good time” has virtually nothing to do with how good the pull is. A 17.00 vs 16.95 is minuscule compared with changing even 1 letter or number.

Plus mode is an improvement over the other settings. At least it’s a small step in the right direction.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

@Chef23 the plus mode is a slight modification to trick mode. The result is that the throttle application is much more in sync with the skier. The throttle is more aggressive, but also comes off much faster so the boat is not running away when the skier is tring to advance on the boat.

I think stronger pulling skiers will benefit more, but any skier that puts much load on the boat will like it. My son is 150 lbs and has been liking B2+.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_
@scotchipman I agree with the 1-2-3 and the amount of time the rpm swings but the ABC timing as to when it hits you is an unknown. The 5.3 Nautique at B1 will hit me where A1 hits me on the MC. You can count on the feel of 1-2-3 but not the pick up point of A-B-C