Your top 5 best looking ski boat models of all time

slow

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@bananaron that is a really sharp boat and from all reports it skis very well, a true sleeper . I believe that model was designed by Gekko (Mark O.) And produced for Gekko by Fineline-Centurion. In fact at that time Fineline was making their Centurions, the first Tige's, some Gekko's and a few Supremes in the one Merced CA Factory. Crazy!

• Baller
Those Merced people can really build a nice boat. I just bought the blue RLX from my earlier post in this thread and it's incredible how good it looks. Granted, that's largely due to upkeep but for all original, it looks amazing. Not sure how many of the new ones will look so good in 18 years.

• Baller
In a particular order 1)1983 J-Craft ... @andjules first boat I skied behind . 2) 1988 Ski Brendella ... Dees Ski school first boat I was in a course with and learned how poor of a skier I really was 3) 1989 Supra ts6m ... we still ski behind this boat regularly 4)2010 Ski Nautique 200 ... loved this boat , style points because it was driven by Scot Ellis in the course when I was vacationing in Fla. 5) @Horton the new MINT looking stormtrooper MC ... that white is HOT!

• Baller

Stand-outs for me are the 93 Mastercraft limited silver flake boat, most iterations of the LXI, and the 197's. My favorite was a 07 197 we promo'd - was the first 197 to have the LY6 - had power for days (but went through a few flame arrestor designs to find one that would fit under the doghouse). I wish I had a picture of it on the water - made the gunmetal flake shimmer, and perfect lines.ql60x1g3ct4s.jpg

• Baller

This will always be my choice for very sentimental reasons. This is a 16 foot 1975 Starcraft American with a 1974 Johnson 115. Her name was "Costa Lotta". My parents bought it new after our first summer at the lake in the fall of 1974. I had just turned 13. It was behind that boat that I really learned how to waterski and got good at it and learned to do many other things as well. I took loving care of that boat. I cleaned and waxed the hull every year, did all of the mechanical work and maintenance on it and kept it running beautifully until I finally sold it in 2015, its 40th year on the lake. I had that thing running the best it ever had when I sold it. I loved that boat so much I actually started shedding tears coming in at the end of the last run I ever waterskied behind her.

To sell it, I listed it on a popular Canadian classified ad site, Kijiji.ca. Here's how the beginning of my for sale ad went:

I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I feel like I'm putting a beloved child up for sale. This boat has been in my family since it was bought in 1974 when I was just 13. I have lovingly taken care of it ever since. So many great memories tied to this boat...

The ad went on for 13 more paragraphs where I discussed everything about the boat's repair and maintencance history, condition and an inventory of the large stock of spare parts I had accumulated for it and would let go of with the boat.

I then finished up with this:

Why am I selling this boat that I'm so attached to and have so much reverence for? It's because in this, its 40th year on the Shuswap, I've replaced it with a similar but much newer boat. I don't have room or need for two ski boats in the boathouse and I fear its condition will detiorate quickly if it gets stored outside the boathouse over the long winters. So, to be kind to it, I need to let it go even though doing so will tear a little piece of my heart out.

I'm hoping this boat will go to a young family with kids and parents who want to give their kids the opportunity to learn how to ski, kneeboard and tube and do all the fun stuff I got to do behind this boat as a kid...

The response I had from the ad was amazing. I had people from all over the province - some from more than four or five hundred miles away - wanting to come and see the boat. In the end, I sold it to a perfect young family who live down at the other end of my part of the lake. They told me they would buy it before they even saw it. The day they came to pick it up we launched it down at the nearest boat launch and I took the father and 10 year old son for their first ride in it. It started right up after just a couple seconds of cranking dead cold. I idled it out past the buoys and then with a serious look I asked the boy who was sitting up in the bow section if he was holding on tight. He grabbed the rails with both hands and said he was. I looked over at the father who was sitting in the passenger seat and winked. Then I hammered it. The Costa Lotta came flying out of the hole like a scalded dog. Two stroke engines are great for that. Almost instantly we were at top speed and I was cranking sharp turns right and left to show off its great handling. Father and son were shouting woo-hoo! and fist pumping. Big smiles on those two.

When we got back to the dock where the mother was waiting, there were high fives all around. Then, the father turned to me and just handed me a big wad of cash without saying a word. He never haggled even a dollar on the asking price.

I was very happy to know the boat was going to the right people but watching her head down the lake with new owners in it was one of the most bittersweet experiences of my life. I love my new boat (Costa Lotta II) and have never regretted buying it but I do miss my beloved Costa Lotta and always will. It's funny how we can sometimes be so sentimental about inanimate material objects. :'(

idup4lqgh29k.jpg

Even though she's an old boat, I think she has beautiful lines. For me, she'll always be the most beautiful ski boat ever. :'(

• Baller

I've shared this before but here's our reverse gel 01SN now powered with a 409, 80A transmission and ZO. It's a perfect fit for our short setups.

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/6810/photo1.jpg

g39w8i5vdxhv.jpg

We've only seen a handful of reverse gel SN's in this era and one other in the same combination. Purchased the boat a few years back with 250 hours on the GT-40 which will be re-purposed for another project.

Complete rig with tandem axle Ram-Lin trailer.

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj532/chrismars515/BB4B7593-3014-49DC-8467-97B82C5E2D1A-1507-000000B38ED632A3_zpsnrzok28f.jpg~original

• Baller

@Wish No modifications to the actual engine cover itself. Just added a carpet covered wood shim under the engine cover. Total height of the shim with carpet is roughly 3" which still clears the pylon well.

@Gloersen - to my knowledge it wasn't required by the state and I'd be surprised if anyone here would even know to check. Tim at Inboard Solutions packaged everything for us and suggested the CATs.

@shansen345 @jhughes & @escmanaze - Thanks fellas! We absolutely love this rig and plan to keep it in the family for a long time!

• Baller

Just saw this thread. Love inboards and barefoot outboards. Slalom and footing...

Also no towers in my opinion.

Prostate 197 (prefer the later years 2011- 2013) always the best looking.

Malibu Response TXI, 2015 (had to add mine, worked hard and saved up for it).

Gekko GTO/GTR 22 (preferably walk thru). Very sleek looking.

Malibu outboard Flighty, 1999

Mastercraft 190 (hell any year close bows are awesome)

2005 ish Malibu Response LXI

9kficyfsqvsd.jpeg

fccovyci64f9.jpeg

• Baller

Love @storm34 2001 ski. That thing is a blast to ski and fun to drive.

Here’s my 2000. It’s been fun to teach my kids how to ski with it. We have hundreds of hrs doing all things water sports behind it.

I’m hoping to upgrade thievpower plant in the next winter or two.

cubsixepnra7.jpeg

• Baller_

As far as best looking tow boat, most of the older "Aussie" boats are hands down sleeker and more appeasing on the eye then the American counterparts.

Growing up in Southern cali i spent a lot of weekends at places like Perris ski land, Longbeach marine stadium, lake Havasu and many other water ski playgrounds of the time. Flatbottom V-drives were what we skied with. Some weekends these same boats could be found running 100 mph 5 wide into the first turn at Long Beach.

RaysonCraft, Sanger, Hondo and many others were the norm in my waterski world. Probably the best looking were the Mandellas and RaysonCrafts.

Modern tournament boats probably the sexiest is the 200 Ski Nautique,

with the 2014 model start up MC a close second.

I am not a open bow fan but the previous model Response also is very nice looking boat.

Can't say a whole lot about the coalbarge look of the new Nautiques and the other two are fighting to see who can take coalbarge image to the next level.

So hands down for me the 200 ski Nautique is probably the best looking out there.

165pta9j0z44.jpg

I did post this though in 2018

t8ob5av7xoj8.jpg

• Baller

vct4z7gle3xp.jpeg

@Boatman here you go! 1993 with 314 hours total time. New power plant (275hp).

I like the way the new boats ski, but the older boats (older than this one, like my Brendella or the MC S&S) just have more character and appeal to me...

But, that’s just me.

• Baller

o2kg5jathk2n.jpg

k05nkxhpcg3y.jpg

az98ds8airco.jpg

tqmun7b6hcqh.jpg

xbsi152tu16s.jpg

The last one was kind of a draw between Mars' blue boat and Jody's red reverse gel, but since I couldnt find a picture of Jody's, Chris' won out. A 1986 Silver Nautique almost made the cut. Always liked the very square no-nonsense lines of the 2001s. The red and white reverse gel MC above does get an honorable mention.

As far as you guys that posted the pictures of the new boats, They're OK, but in general, MEH, they all look pretty much the same. Kind of like cars these days. Every single car on the road today is a generic sedan or a generic crossover. A Kia looks just like an Audi.