What are the little things?

The_MS

• Baller_
Reading the twisted, twisted rope thread got me to thinking about all the little things that can get you another buoy or 2. The small things like straight lines, grinding down the screws on your wing so they are flush, cutting of binding parts that drag in the water or cleaning off the bottom of your ski can all add to your ball count. What are your small things?

• Baller

Have you tried not letting all of those insignificant little things get in your head? You might be snubbing yourself 2-3 buoys just thinking about all that extra stuff ;)

In honesty I like to untwist the line. I don't know if you get significant width back but the line feels less stretchy/springy.

I do think most of that is just superstitious head games though unless you're playing at the top of the top then maybe it makes a difference. It's like having lucky trunks

• Baller_

Just like blueprinting a racing engine, or chassis setup, probably a key small item is to make sure the rope and handle are properly toleranced, which includes rope twist (or lack of). Making sure the ski / bindings are consistent which means binding screws at correct torque & fin is in correct position and tight. Fin is perpendicular to ski bottom, centered in ski and slot and in good condition. I have seen fins that don't have a symmetric radius along leading edge.

Properly fitting gloves, comfortable handle, flexible vest help with good focus in course. Agree on binding parts, which also includes making sure the tie strings don't fly around become a distraction when they bounce on the leg or the plastic button lodges in the heel piece between your leg and the heel.

• Baller
I deliberately try not to adjust my shorts after I get up. Some sites have a short setup and I don't want to have to fiddle with my shorts to be ready to ski. I try to wear shorts that aren't super baggy so it isn't a huge problem.

• Baller
@MS - totally agree with you and also @RazorRoss3. Make sure the little things are "right", but don't let them get in your head either. I've never been able to adjust to standard front hardshell because I can feel the drag on the buckles on my onside turn. I'm still in rubber because of it. I'm super sensitive to binding fit and alignment, too, but once it's dialed I forget about it. I untwist the rope. I adjust my trunks. I fiddle with my fin. I sand the bottom of my ski. I tighten my screws. I never think about any of it once I hope off the swim platform (which should be another thread - why do so many people have so much difficulty getting off the platform into the water? I see the flop, the jump and flop, the awkward sit-down with your ski on/nick the gelcoat of the transom, the slide off one side and nick the gelcoat, the sit down on the transom corner, the handstand push-off. Come on, people. It's not that hard.) But then again, you could ask "Jim, why the f do you have so much trouble with 35? Hmmm?"