New boat, or no?

usaski1

• Baller
So.. I've been skiing better than ever this summer. My current boat has the latest ZO rev S. The boat is 10 years old, and the boat record is 3@38 off. I have skiied really well behind a newer Mastercraft, and thinking about selling and making the switch. It would cost me about 30k. In my post divorce world, I will have to finance this. The thing is, I am not skiing better behind the MC than I am on practice behind my boat so... maybe wouldn't help me that much? On the contrary... am I holding myself back by skiing behind an older boat? If i always had a newer boat to ski behind, would make even more improvements? Im looking at 2014 and above Mastercrafts in the 40k to 55k range.

• Administrators
@Live2ski there was a transmission issue that has long been solved and all those boats should have been fixed under warranty years ago

• Baller
How much smaller is the wakes on the MC at the speeds you ski? If the wake was small enough it might help you ski more sets. The few times I've skied on the MCs at tournaments the wakes seemed really nice at 34mph. I pulled way past the wake my first 28off pass, just wasn't much there. 15 and 22 had a little bump but it was soft enough. I think the MC would be a little easier on my old knees.

• Baller
This thread is on fire tonight.. geez I was just kicking around a thought! Horton' s trying to sell me his prostar! I think we all need to calm down. Including me! While it's true there is nothing wrong with wanting something new, if my current boat isn't holding me back, I've spent 30+k to just make me feel good, but not ski better, and that doesn't fly ultimately for me. The verdict is still out. I could chance it on ski it again, and see if my boat sells... I used to live in a regular subdivision house... I put my house on the market, and it sold in a week. Fate. I have lived on a private lake for over a decade. One of the greatest accomplishments of my life.

• Baller

IF i could afford ( i can't but check to find the best deal available on S.I.A. everyday!) a ''new to me'' MC this one would be my choice.

Price is really good,low hours and nice colors combo!

Free bump for the seller!

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=44211

Go for it Mark!

(Love to spend other peoples money!) :)

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Here is the question: "What do I get for financing 30K? Is it worth it to me?"

If I remember correctly you just upgraded to ZO this year to last correct? Your boat skis great. Are you just itching for something new? Do you want a new, clean interior?

It is nice to have the new, clean interior. On the other hand, sometimes I'm jealous of the guys with the old worn work-horse boat who don't have to be anal about the vinyl etc.

I have a boat. Same as yours. The Outback is underrated. It works for me and what I need. It is paid in full. For me, finance 30k to upgrade? No thanks.

• Baller
fu_man do you have ZO and the new REV S on your Outback? If not, do whatever you can to get it... if you can get it w/o swapping motors.. The boat is skiing much better, and I know that even though its dated, I have a tournament pull.. maybe just not a tournament wake. I freshened up the interior this year too, with (some) new skins. Its a great looking, and skiing boat.. Did I just answer my own question? Naw, cuz I'm a Man.

@usaski1 I upgraded from a 2012 outback to 2018 Prostar this year. I was not looking to spend as much by buying a 2018 however, it has been a fantastic decision. Honestly one of the best purchases I've every made for the experience it creates for everyone on the water. I found the Outback tough to drive in the course with anyone behind it under 22 off. I had shaved the rudder with some success on the Outback but not enough to control some of my better friends nor have my wife pull me.

Unfortunately the Prostar is just better in all aspects. As you know the layout of the boat is phenomenal. You will want to make sure you understand the options if buying one...carpet, bow cover, rear seats (if your on the lake and just not running sets) are all a must IMO.

You will not regret looking at a newer Prostar, but no one on this site can tell you how to spend/value your money.

When I went through my divorce, I got rid of a lot of things and bought new. It was a little bit of a "moving on/moving forward" thing for me emotionally. The new boat I bought was a significant upgrade, so not the same as your situation. But having something that didn't have baggage attached did make being on the water more enjoyable.

• Baller
In 2014 you had the option to get the boat with bow lid and no front seats or front seats only for base price. Additionally you could pay extra to get both seats and the lid. Shortly after (I believe 2015) front seats came standard on all boats and you had to pay extra to get a bow lid.