Dock Starting Tips for EVERYBODY!!!

turbogoose

• Baller

@"Keith Menard" it depends if you are doing a sitting dock start or a standing one. Sitting is almost like a deep water start except you want to tell the boat to go when you have 2 feet or so of rope so it gets a little speed going.

Standing is more complicated. You want to have 3-5 feet of slack when you tell the boat to go and you make sure you kind of step into the water with the ski on an angle instead of trying to hop on top of it. If you hop on top of it unless the timing is perfect you will sink.

We used to do them all the time and do beach starts as well when I was a kid. I don't do them anymore though.

• Baller

These are scans of a vintage 1956 Mercury Waterskiing brochure/pamphlet I bought on eBay. I hope you enjoy them.

I love the stance and the handle she's using. :D

pkpiobdxw88e.jpg

w3eyqt8yk760.jpg

dsvbkwrfmwco.jpg

I love step 4 (above). What if you're on a lake where it's 20 feet deep 10 - 15 yards from shore?

Step 1 (below) looks like a sure-fire way to get a water enema to me. :#

ofb00stwy8kd.jpg

wv2n60ilcp1a.jpg

There you have it! That's all there is to waterskiing! ;)

• Baller_

This is from our 1954 Evinrude book on waterskiing by Bruce Parker.

I donated the book to our Michigan Water Ski Association Hall of Fame. There was a bunch of other information, including jump plans and a review of equipment. Some of the pictures of jumpers only wearing swim shorts (and maybe the old life belt) were interesting.

The last page of the book had an application for lifetime AWSA membership for $50.00.

66qq9fxu5axz.jpeg

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.