Connelly team skiers not on GTR

jercrane

• Baller
Seems like no one other than Joel has made the switch to the GTR (Sacha, Siani, Manon, others?). At least not at the Swiss Proam. What's up with that? Not turning out to be what they hoped? Does it require a big change in skiing style? Anyone have a perspective on this? Just curious

• Baller

Like @jercrane pointed out it looked like Thibaud is on the GTR.

For skiers at the level of Sacha and Manon we can never really know what ski they use.

Unless you are an industry insider.

• Baller
Not sure I buy that you can't know what ski they are on. Its pretty clear from the graphics which ski is which and there is no way Connelly is putting old graphics on a new ski if you are thinking they might be skiing on a GTR that looks like GT. Connelly's main goal in sponsoring is to sell gear. Having skiers on old gear doesn't really help that. Old graphics even less so.

• Baller
Sometimes pro skiers are on prototypes that have old graphics on them. In other cases, they sometimes prefer an older model and simply don't want to change. I remember Nate sticking with one of the D3 skis for quite a while after a new one came out, and Regina has been on the Goode XTR for a long while. At one point, CP had moved to Goode and they were having trouble getting him a ski he liked, so he skied on his old HO Monza spray painted black.

• Administrators

I have no inside info but I can speculate.

First of all team skiers may have ski with GT graphics that are really GT-Rs. I personally have a a couple of GT-R prototypes with GT graphics.

Team skiers might have an old faithful GT that they have skied on a lot that they just love.

It is even possible that team skiers are on a future version prototype with random graphics.

Bottom line is do not read too much into what you think Pro Skiers are on. It is pretty common for pro level skiers to ride next gen stuff long before you hear about it.

• Baller
Happens in a lot of sports. If you are a hockey guy, Connor McDavid still wears a 2-3 year old pair of CCM skates instead of going with the most brand new. If you are really comfortable with something it can be hard to change.

• Baller
@aspski I love how CCM doesn't even throw FT2 graphics on Mcdavid's skates. Seems like all big-name athletes that are sponsored in every sport can sometimes hate changing the "feel" of their gear at all! But as mentioned above it's insane that these companies don't at least make sure that everyone has updated graphics.

• Baller

I agree change is hard and when you are at that level in a very physically demanding and perfection demanding, performance sport making a change can be even harder. Taking a step back to take more steps forward is very hard.

Which is actually a very interesting philosophical question for gear geeks (myself included) to consider.

Do you really need that new ski? Probably not if like me 99.999% of my problems are ability and technique.

And if not what does that mean for the industry? Like we need these companies to keep selling skis and gear so they keep innovating but if the vast majority of us really don't need that innovation ...

:/

• Supporting Member

@jercrane If your goal is to get better, investment in coaching, fitness, diet, training, and equipment setup will all bring more benefit than new equipment. BUT new equipment is easier than most of those -- especially since most of us have pretty good jobs such that saving up $2k is far less effort than seriously improving diet (for example).

AND new equipment is just fun. In the end, we're all doing this for fun.

• Baller

I have a Mapple T2 with T3 graphics.

I have a question for everyone. How often has a new ski improved your skiing in the long run?

The reason I ask is I have been on the same ski for many years and the ski works great. I think I might move backward on a new ski.

Thoughts?

• Baller_
Never dump the old ski until you are 100% sure the new stick is proven to make it easier to PB or reach your PB. I was on the N1 for 5-6 years and tried lots of new Greatest skis ever in that time. None but the KD was able to make me switch

• Baller
I was working today (very strange for me) but got a text about this thread. To rip off what he said, and paraphrase, “isn’t the better question/observation, how good are Connelly’s skis right now that 3 of them, Prophecy, GT, and GTR are all being ridden at the absolute highest level of skiing?”. Pretty amazing stuff those guys are putting out right now

• Baller

I have a couple of “items” in my shop that have “prototype” as part of the VIN number...pre production units that have old graphics to hide what they really are. Things are not always what they appear to be....

Every industry does that...

• Baller_
Had a Mapple ski way back when with a slideable metal plate on the front so one could adjust rocker stiffnes . Horrible ski for many reasons and an OTF maker. But it was the one Andy was riding so it must be good. Saw him at a pro tour stop that same year. From a distance...same ski. :) Up close...his metal plate was just a poorly painted on graphic :o