Coming out of turn on back foot

mbabiash

• Baller
A coach once asked me what moves first to initiate the turn? His answer was your front foot, specifically the front foot initiating the edge in the turn. That comment helped me a lot. Don't remember what I said but it was not that.

• Supporting Member

One thing I picked up from @AdamCord -- even though I'll probably botch explaining it! -- is to finish the turn with your body first and THEN the ski. If we push the ski around first, it's almost inevitable to end up on the back foot.

It's surprisingly difficult to explain this move more precisely. But I've found if I think about moving my body toward where I want to go next and then let the ski follow, I start my pull in a FAR more favorable position.

• Baller
Damn @Than_Bogan - I’ve literally just worked that out and was trying to find the words. The explanation for WHY it works of course could take a whole lot longer. Also why it’s more relevant with your onside rather than offside ????

• Baller_
Deep11. If your ahead of the ski your placing your weight on the largest portion of the ski, less drag, more lift, faster through the turn so the ski catches up with you when your connecting back up with the boat. Then there's the opposite. Hoping to get better at it.

• Baller
I agree with what Than is saying but I've found that ski setup has something to do with it as well. For me I have problems with a ski takes excessive front foot pressure to get the ski to come around properly or a ski that is too sensitive. With the a ski setup that requires a lot front foot pressure I tend to get a rebound effect where I fall back or the ski doesn't finish and I end up back on the ski and going straight at the next buoy. If the ski is too sensitive then I tend to be cautious by bending my knees too much coming into the turn (mostly offside) and end up with my hips behind coming out of turn.

• Baller
Thanks @Wish - for me the process @Than_Bogan is talking about seems to work better when there is also using a conscious “unweighting” rather than simply riding round the turn with front foot pressure. (That obviously works but seems to result in a wider radius turn and earlier load for me. It can also result in what @gregy commented on)

• Baller
In some situation the answer is much simpler than that. Sometimes I'm just skiing into a slightly loose line. I try to connect at the end of the turn. And there's not much there, I lean and go back.

• Baller
@gregy definitely with you there - when I was first trying to set up my own skis I kept making them not come around very well - then I'd end up really coming out back foot heavy to finish the ski around. Even with factory fins I like the conversation that's going on these days.