PROSTAR all smiles

Dacon62

• Baller

Just got to go on a little rant here about the new to me Prostar.

Love this boat!

It’s a ‘17 that was broken in at McClintocks.

Have put about 10 hours on it and man it just makes me smile every time we use it.

There isn’t a shortening from 15-28 off that I have skied yet that isn’t soft and easy to cross.

Rudder had too much factory right turn torque so bit by bit hand filed the port side so it has just the right amount.

Upgraded the Zero Off from rev R to the S version. Currently using C1+ and loving it.

The 5.7 Ilmor is a beast...don’t need any more power for what we do.

The roominess, ski racks, decadence flooring, removable bow cover, etc all make for a extremely well thought out and built boat.

So very pleased with my purchase and looking forward to shorting the line and new PB’s for the ski crew this summer!

1lyueyzdq8hc.jpeg

4bk0cdoulc5w.jpeg

rvnlh342s1u3.jpeg

• Baller

Site is Hatzic Lake, Mission, BC, Canada. Small, calm, shallow lake. Usually 70 degrees plus even in May. One slalom course tucked away in the corner.

@RichardDoane Currently 310 hours and paid market price.

Great looking boat! Congratulations. I have always been a CC guy (96 SNOB) but we have been using MC at the ski lake for while now. They have really grown on me. Only two complaints: Fuel gauge is crazy and the engine fan is loud. Current one is set up perfect. No tower, carpet, ski storage racks, seat heaters, and teak platform!

• Baller
Does anyone know where I can find detailed info on line about the Prostar '19? It's a boat I am interested in learning more about. All the MC website has (that I can find) is a promo video that features too much skiing (I get it... it's a ski tug) and awful, jarring music, at the expense of concrete information about the boat itself. I want to learn more about the actual Prostar... its features, its options etc. Nautique has some pretty good walk-through type videos available for the Ski Nautique and the Nautique 200, but I can't find anything similar for the Prostar. Nor can I find such information in simple printed form. And the process of obtaining a brochure is much too intrusive. They don't need my phone number and other details at this point. Name and address should be sufficient. Thanks!

Forgot my last issue...the expensive 3D letters that seem to fall off :) . I wish we could get the boat with the decal not installed, then install for the next owner, or have MC sell individual letters. Anyone got a t for sale??

• Baller
@Loopski, did you intend to include a site besides the MC site? @ScottScott, yes, I started on the build a boat process, but it was very cumbersome and time consuming, and wouldn't just let me skip ahead to scan the various features and options. Colors of hull and interior and such are not my primary concern yet. i.e., I don't want to "build a boat" at this point. I just want to get an better idea of what the boat's included features are and what options are offered. Down the line, should I get serious about owning one, I can get into the nitty gritty of aesthetics.

• Baller
@Horton that was very helpful. It seems to stop at the demo of the bow cover. Is there an additional segment that looks at the back of the boat... engine cover, accessibility of engine components, transom storage, ski racks and so forth?

• Baller

@Cnewbert ...definitely have an up close look and ski behind the Prostar. You sound like the kind of person that does in depth research before making a purchase...and that’s a good thing. I am like minded and bought a ‘17 Prostar after exploring all the options in my price range.

I was hard pressed to find any competitors products that ticked as many boxes.

• Baller
@skimtb, okay, here's a couple or 3 questions right off the bat: there are 3 engine options listed, two 320HP and one 430HP. One of the 320HP engines is $4670 more than the other, though all the basic specs appear the same. It just has OPS in the description... Ilmor 5000 MPI DD OPS 1.26 vs. the standard Ilmor 500 MPI DD 1.26. But nowhere is it explained what the difference is and why one would pay $4670 more for the upgrade designated OPS. The big engine is $15K more than the stock engine. Is the 320HP stock engine generally considered powerful enough? Or would one be crazy not to fork over an additional $15K for the extra 110HP? ($15K could buy me 1,250 twelve-packs of Sam Adams Boston Lager, so I would have to think carefully about this.) Also, on the MC website for the Prostar, the top view of that stunning red Prostar displays a grey floor covering. Do you know whether that is carpet, Seadek or Deckadence pictured? I'm quite sure it is not Deckadence, but what is it? These different choices do not display in the Design This Boat when selected, so I can't figure out what is in this picture that I like so much. Lastly, at one point in this Design This Boat I think I came across an option to have the ski racks on both port and starboard, or just one side. I can no longer find this. Do you know if they come on both sides or if it has to be ordered for one or both sides? I swear this option appeared at one point but now it's vanished. Thanks for any help!

• Baller

@Cnewbert I’m not a pro but will offer what I think I know. And will surely be corrected if wrong...

Realizing this is a complete threadjack - maybe you could start a new one?

1. The OPS is the closed cooling version of the 5.7 / 320 HP. (Maybe Ocean Performance System? I made that up but think I heard something like that). It is for saltwater or if you want closed cooling. (This means antifreeze in engine block and the boat sucks up water to cool the antifreeze via heat exchanger vs lake water going through motor and heater etc). Doubt many people get that.

1b. Yes, pricey upgrade to the bigger engine. Most likely don’t need it. I think mainly jumpers or maybe extreme short course setup? Or those who just want it... I think the block is aluminum, so it’s actually lighter, which is always a plus. Probably not a $15k plus. Have your crew eat less cheeseburgers.

2. Seadek. Decadence is like a woven mat, and has Mastercraft written on both sides of the motor box.

3. Use a computer for the design a boat. At least it never seemed to work well on my iPhone. Ski racks are there on computer. Both is a nice option, but really depends how you will use the boat.

4. There are two small storage bins in the back under the flat panels that have seadek on them. Gloves, ropes, maybe two large towels would fit in there.

5. Wake is good. And the boat feels 2x as big as older boats. Get one...

6. The ballast system is for driving with no spotter. The boat does lean, so if you are going spotter less you should consider.

7. Bimini top is listed as “Bimini cover” on design a boat.

• Baller
@skimtb wow, thanks so much for your detailed info! Very helpful indeed. You’re right though. I didn’t mean to jack the thread. But with all the Prostar enthusiasts chiming in, it seemed like a good place to get the information that for some strange reason MC doesn’t make available to prospective buyers. Yes, the Design This Boat doesn’t work on iPhone/iPad. Once I tried it on my desktop things went better. But it still has its quirks. But lack of basic information is still the biggest failing. The website doesn’t even provide a list of standard features, let alone any explanation of the options. Love the boat though... it’s my #1 focus at the moment.

• Baller

The ski racks can be ordered each. Mine just has starboard. Or you can have none or both. We'll probably add the other eventually.

We have the 5.7 and have no issue with power, even in some fairly short setups. Yeah, jumpers and heavier skiers may need the bigger engine.

We have carpet, and prefer that. I saw the decadence at Action a couple weeks ago in one....its pretty nice, I'd still go with carpet tho.

Transom grab bar is an option, and worth considering. I'm good without it, but my girlfriend keeps nagging to get one to assist getting on platform. It does offer a tow point if you want to take the kids out tubing and use the back seats.....if you get them.

Bow cover, and bow seating is an option. If you'll never take the cover off, then there is more storage without the seats. Although with seats there is still a pretty good amount of room, we just throw extra vests up there.

Going down to Action is certainly a good idea, and they will probably give you a pull on the lake there. If you're ever in the Orlando/Winter Garden area you can certainly stop by and see ours/take a set if schedules allow, if you don't feel like going on down to Polk City.

• Baller
@ScottScott many many thanks for your input! And perhaps I'll PM you about a pull one of these days... generous of you to offer! I know the bow cover is an option. I was under the impression the bow seats were standard equipment and removable if you want the extra space. At least that's the impression I got with Design This Boat (which I finally got mostly working using my desktop computer instead of my iPad.) I'm impressed by the passion of Prostar owners. It's what got me taking a serious look at this boat. So thanks all!

I cant speak for the composite platform but the teak platform has some nice cut outs to help getting out of the water. They arent all the way through like they used to be, which in my opinion is safer.

• Baller
Well, my Design This Boat is coming in over $100K with the 320HP engine and without a trailer which I’d also need. Nobody ever accused me of having cheap tastes! Question: when it comes to boats, ski boats in particular, do people ever pay MSRP, or is it like cars where no one ever pays the sticker price? If the latter, what might one expect to get a $100K MSRP boat for, custom ordered? I hate the thought of my wife having to get a second and third job, plus take care of me, in order to afford a new Prostar, particularly since she doesn’t ski. Life isn’t always fair I guess.

Crazy isnt it? A couple of years ago I decided to upgrade my tired 96SNOB for a good used 200. I was thinking 30K should get a nice boat. Nope, it was going to be 50K. So, I spent about 7k on the snob rebuilding the motor, new interior and new exterior stripes to match the interior. I chose a modern color scheme complete with Nautique logos from Chritstines. Looks like a new boat, and I dont feel guilty all winter.

• Baller
@Cnewbert go find yourself a promo, it's a ridiculous value compared to new, all those annoying decisions about colors and options are already done! I picked up a pretty loaded 2018 last fall and the dealer was able to take my old boat on trade.