recommendations to buy ilmor oil filter

LoopSki

• Baller
I subscribe to my oil and filters on amazon for whatever quantity and interval the vehicle needs. Generally the boats are every 6 months and so one arrives in late August for winterization and the other shows up in spring which hangs till mid summer.

• Baller
After paying more than I was comfortable with for an oil filter for my 5.7 Ilmor, I emailed Ilmor engineers and got a phone call back. This IS NOT a GM filter for this engine, as it is mounted remotely, and not on the block. They explained to me that it is a high end product for a high end performance engine. He told me not to use anything else. He had nothing to gain by up-selling, and I felt he was knowledgeable and honest. I only use the Ilmor filter. If I can't get to the dealer, I have them ship me 2 years worth to distribute the shipping cost. BTW, the price per filter has gone down substantially since my first boat with the Ilmor. I have reached out to the engineers several times with other questions, as I perform 90% of repairs myself, and they couldn't be more helpful. The Ilmor and the Mastercraft product are top notch in every regard.

• Baller
If the Ilmor remote filter location still puts the filter upside down (like it did in 2014), I was told that whatever filter you use should have an anti flow back valve. You don't want the the filter to drain each time you shut off the engine and therefore have to refill (and delay lubrication to the engine) each time you start the engine.

• Baller_
Anti drain back for the upside down application and high burst pressure are two good criteria not to compromise on a ski boat oil filter. Why the latter, ski boats tend to run up to elevated RPM well before the oil is at a stabilized operating temperature or specifically when the oil is at a high viscosity. The truck filter which tends to be the larger filter for the specific filter mount is also a good option providing plenty of filter material. The oil filter business model is a couple of sources doing multiple branding, plenty of information online detailing common filters painted different colors.

• Baller

@skiinxs.... Thanks for the info. I have been using Royal Purple Oil and Filter for years. However, their filter is HUGE and really hard to get on and off. I know from my Racing Days that K&N makes great filters. That's where I will be going next...THX

• Baller
@horton Most people average twice a year. Even 5 times a year, you're talking about $100 for the recommended filter. Everyone can surmise that the filter is just a rebadged K&N. Even though it might be K&N, no one has any idea if Ilmor makes a special request of K&N on specifics for the filter media and valve. Just get the Ilmor. Will all the others work. Probably. Why take the chance here.

• Administrators

@BoneHead yeah I agree on the cost. I'm just making fun of people who don't put 200 hrs on their boat every year :-)

( yes I know I'm being an a-hole I'm just joking)

• Baller
We have a 2015 MC, there are at least 20 different filters that will work. We have used K&N, Bosch, Napa, Wix. Never had a single issue. There is no way that the Ilmor filter is that drastically different. I think one of the only things you should look for is a filter that has the back flow valve since this one sits upside down.

• Baller
@Horton before very much longer we’ll need to do our first post 25-hour break-in oil change at 75 hrs on our ‘20 Prostar with the 6.0L MPI. I’m not engine savvy enough to use anything but the Ilmor oil filter recommended, in spite of the many endorsements in this thread of alternative, cheaper options. Additionally the Ilmor owner’s manual specifies Rotella T4 15W-40. But the photo you posted above pictures Pennzoil Full Synthetic 15W-30. Is that what you currently use for the 6.0L MPI, or were you possibly using that for a 5.7L? I see you posted that in June, 2019 so I don’t know what engine your PS had back then. Anyhow, if there is a superior oil to use instead of the Rotella recommended, I’d be grateful to know. Or is everyone sticking with Ilmor’s specified oil?

• Baller
Horton actually pictured a 5w-30, Dexos I, Gen 2, synthetic, which is what GM recommends for these engines. Nautique/PCM followed suit and went from 15w-40 to the same 5w-30 Dexos 1, Gen 2 recommendation through a service bulliten about a year ago. I'd check and make sure Ilmor does not recommend the same. I'd be a little surprised if they are still recommending 15w-40.

• Baller
@jjackkrash all I have is the Ilmor owner’s manual that came with our ‘20 PS. The manual recommends the Rotella T4 15w-40 for the 6.0L MPI. I guess I could try contacting Ilmor directly. There were no updates in the manual, but maybe the new recommendation is even more recent than the ‘20 manual?

• Baller
It could have changed in 3 years, but ours recommended the Rotella 15w40 for the Transmission. For engine oil it recommended the Mobile 1 full synth 5w30. I have heard good things about the wix filters and found the compatible #51372, not so much for price, but its convenient (I can pick up at the O'reilly's just down the street, and I rarely plan ahead to be able to order the ilmore.)

• Baller

There is an optical scan sticker on my Ilmor 6.0, so I figured that might lead me to the most current info on this engine and any recent changes in the oil guidance. I scanned it with my iPhone, which immediately brought me to an Ilmor webpage with a list of Ilmor marine engines to choose from. Amazingly, the very Ilmor 6.0L MPI engine that this sticker is applied to does not appear anywhere on the list. Huh? What’s up with that Ilmor?

But at least I found an email address for Ilmor service. I emailed them to clarify if the oil recommendation has been changed or if the factory specified oil for this engine remains Rotella T4 15W-40. The answer came back quickly. The specified oil remains the Rotella.

I’d love to hear from anyone with this same engine using an alternative oil to learn upon what basis they switched from the oil Ilmor specifies to something else. What do they know that Ilmor doesn’t?

z1b0ghkv4bk1.png