2020 MasterCraft ProStar - sneak peek

Horton

• Baller

@Jaypro that's half of the reason we were freaking out. Less worried about a loose hose clamp, then the world finding out which engine we had.

And, yes, @markchilcutt the jumpers are loving it. Freddy had our boat for a week and said he had his biggest jump of the year at the time behind it.

The best boat just got even better.

What are you guys seeing for top speed on the Mastercraft 6.0L and 6.2L at - around sea level? Is it comparable to the Nautique 6.0L and 6.2L?

Asking for those who barefoot and those at altitude who need the bigger motor. Thx!

• Baller

I skied @Horton 's new boat today. Slalomed great behind it - but that was probably Elaine's driving (a smooth pull up on an injured back is magic for performance - but the boat was part of that). Lots of people tricked well behind it (I was the vidiot). Boat judging for @Horton was interesting but everyone seemed to ski well behind it. Nice boat. But orange.

The only unusual aspect of the boat showed up when helping @Horton hook up his trailer. Something about how his ball needed lubrication kind of made me uncomfortable. (Hope he gets that taken care of right away.) The lights on the trailer say "Mastercraft" as he drove the boat home. Cool little detail.

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski as in he had to grease his ball or his ramp n clamp?

As a kid my neighbor towed a ton he showed me an old ball and coupler from before he started greasing, his trailer receiver and hitch ball had essentially worn the front face of the ball flat until the trailer had a "notch" when turning and could be popped up off if you climbed on the back of his boat. Rubbing/friction/sand/rust etc. lapped the thing down.

So you shouldn't need grease to force it on but you should 100% get some grease on there.

I use one of those rubber ball caps with a blob of white lithium inside and just push it on.

• Baller
It was nice to get to drive @horton new boat in both Jump and Slalom before he even got to see it. It was probably the best tracking M/C I have driven. I talked to Will about the motor and he confirmed it is a Gen IV 6 liter similar to what the other manufactures have as their base motors.

• Administrators
@epnault the word I have from the Mastercraft team jumpers is that the 6L is awesome up to about 230 feet. For world record attempts the 6.2 is superior.

Ilmor rate there engines at what they are. PCM, Indmar, Malibu all put some Cherries on top.

The link below is for the California Air Resource Bureau (CARB). It takes you to reports which list the specific output of the engines CARB has authorized for sale in the state of California. Output is reported in Kilowatts (kw). To

convert kw into horsepower simply multiply the kw rating by 1.34 to see the equivalent horsepower rating.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/cert_mfr.php

Once on the website select “Spark Ignited marine engines” and the model year depending on the year of the boat that you are comparing, then click “browse”. From here you can select engine brand and hit “submit” to be taken to

their respective reports. The actual CARB certificate has more detailed information.

gbtl458v670f.jpg

• Baller
We skied a 2020 at Eden Lake over Thanksgiving. Very nice, I don't know that I noticed a huge difference from the 5.7 but it felt strong and smooth. There was a little issue with some observers putting their feet on the engine box and getting a little rubbing-noise (might have just been an isolated issue).

• Administrators

@jjackkrash I went back and forth between 2019 and 2020 boats this summer. The new 6 L is great. You notice it on deep water starts and top speed. In the course at 34mph I don't find it dramatically different than the 5.7. The open rated 36 mph skier I ski with definitely prefers the 6L for 38 & 39 off.

• Administrators
@lakeho26 I forget the exact speed my Orange 2020 got up to but it was like 46 - 48 ish. If you want to it go faster you would need to change props. Remember the boats are propped to work between 34 and 36 mph. With a different prop the boat could go a LOT faster.

• Baller
I have had the 2020 since late August. It has pulled 3 tournaments in the Phoenix area. The 6L engine is naturally stronger, better hole shot etc. More notably it tracks better than ever, and the stearing is tighter. The all around feel is very solid. We talk about drivability, which the MC does well at, but it is really about how the skier likes it. (right?)

• Baller

We hit 50 and in a big hurry with my brothers 6.2. That thing was a beast. As mentioned above a 6.2 SN is also a beast.

6.0 TXI is plenty adequate for skiing but not the muscle car feel of the others with 6.2s. In those boats drive your hole shot carefully u can easily overdo it and I LOVE them. Fun boats...more than u need but everything I want!