How do YOU define/measure your PB/PR?

mfjaegersr

• Baller
You should always ski your best in tournaments if you make your practice as tough as a tournament. Always set your course to actual measurements, not minimal tolerances. Always try to ski with a nice head/tail wind of around 10 mph. Try to ski on a public lake if possible. Have your practice driver drive straight instead of sorry a$$ swerving.

• Baller

I think both tournament scores and practice scores count. They should be separate though.

I will always remember my best ball count at a tournament, and I will always remember the hardest ball I ever got around.

This may be strange, but as an over 35 year old, I also count 6 at 28'off 58K, the same as 6 at 32'off 55K.

• Baller_
@hemlock, you should count those passes the same. They are the same point value. And, they are fairly equivalent. My 36 and 34 PBs are the exact same point value, just one loop apart.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Using tournaments keeps me from needing to keep track of my skiing. I have to keep track of lots of numbers for my work and don't ever want to need to do it for my addiction, water skiing. I do make mental notes of how practice is going.

• Administrators
Where people get grumpy on this subject is when a skier claims some astronomical practice PB but doesn't have a vaguely similar tournament PB or any tournament scores.

• Baller

I keep track of both my best run under any condition and my best run when skiing down the line in succession. They are pretty close for me. I also have a 34mph and 36 mph PB, oddly enough they are within 1 ball of each other.

I am sure if I skied tournaments I'd keep track of that PB too, but I enjoy skiing and goofing around with my buddies more. That is why I am fully on board with @TEL making a new PB is way more fun than telling someone it doesn't count because they missed the previous pass.

• Baller

It doesn't really matter since I am so far off from where my PB once was. Maybe I need to think about judging my PB around BC (Before Children) and AD (After Daddy). IE 5 BC I was midway into -35 at 36 mph and 4 AD I am going slower and still not into the blue rope length

Also my last tournament (class C or above) was like a decade ago in college and I have no intentions of doing those anymore.

• Baller

Tournament PB first and foremost.

practice PB off the dock.

Practice PB without missing a pass but back to back earlier pass.

Practice PB only counts with video or a driver who I know didn't help me, I have ran some great scores where the driver did most of it for me.

• Baller

SO how's everyone's Practice PB compare to their Tournament PB?

My Tournament PB is about 90% of my Practice PB, although I haven't skied in a tournament since last year

@horton what about the turn and Burn formats that show up occasionally? I always feel like its cheating when they have those at a tournament.

• Baller
My tournament PB is a full pass lower than my practice PB. My tournament PB is actually about 3 balls under my practice average. I think I need to ski more tournaments. Then I get my ski partner @Simpson to ski his first tournament and he goes out and sets his real PB (tournament or practice) in his first tournament ever.

• Baller
While all of my practice bests have been at a ski school (Jodi's,) I have been able to back it up shortly at tournament or other locations. I just started doing tournaments last summer. 1st tournament I was able to equal my practice best. After that I wasn't able to better that score in tournaments, just equaling it a couple times, even though I was improving and setting new practice bests. As I improved over the winter, I set new practice bests along the way. 1st tournament this year I not only beat last years tournament best by a pass and a half, I beat my practice best at the time by a couple balls (completing a pass I hadn't before and getting 1 balls at a line I hadn't seen before.) Since then I have run that pass in practice and gotten 2 balls at the next line, now to back it up in a tournament.

• Baller

So I've never done a tournament, so if I relied on a "tournament PB" I wouldn't have anything to offer. I'm really just in it for the fun of myself, so I don't even care if it came off of a "tournament-like" practice set.

With that being said, I can fully understand why guys who have done tournaments don't want some shmo running around saying he got blank score - oh but that was only in practice. That's definitely some bush league stuff. If it's your practice PB - make sure to say it as such.

Kinda funny, I was teaching a bunch of newbies this last weekend. I would see the kid miss #3 in the mirror and then at the end, my passenger would tell me he got 5. I'm like what? Turns out, they were just counting how many total balls he got. Yeah, he missed 3, but he got 4, 5, and 6, so all in all, totaled up, he got 5 balls...right? I didn't really have the heart to tell them straight up "that's not how this works". They'll grasp it sooner or later.

• Baller
I lied when I answered the poll- while I do believe it's tournament results that define legitimate PBs, I'm guilty of freely telling people my practice PB, which is over a pass better. (At least it was done under tournament conditions [consecutive, accurate course, good senior driver, etc], but clearly I'm a hypocrite...

• Baller
A practice PB will definitely measure a person's physical ability to get down the rope as far as possible. Tournament PB's incorporate the physical ability along with mental fortitude. For some, the scores are very similar. For others they might be quite a ways apart.