Top speeds for slalom divisions

Tdub

• Supporting Member
It seems to that every "old guy" I've talked to about it hated 30mph. So it may be that keeping it at 32 is what people prefer. I've never really been that sold on dropping speed with age anyhow. Slower speed just means we fail on a shorter line length. For example is 34/-38 really safer than 36/-35? I don't have any stats, but it doesn't feel that way to me.

• Baller
Hmmmmm...Usually I feel like me and @Than_Bogan are long lost brothers always agreeing on everything. Well I finally found something to disagree with him on. I definitely think 34/-38 is "safer" than 36/-35. We have to define "safer" of course. This time I think I pretty much just mean that the injuries you will sustain when you mess up at those given speeds and lengths will have a magnitude roughly proportional to the speed you were travelling at right before the wreck.

• Supporting Member

Good to hear the other perspective. To me, speed along the water isn't a big deal. People fall off jet skis going silly fast and usually don't get hurt. Injury usually comes from being wildly out of position and interacting with the world in an unexpected way. It's true that going faster gives you less time to try to react to such a situation, but at least for me I run into out-of-control situations far more often at 34/-38 than I ever did at 36/-35.

Maybe it's a style thing relating to your most common types of crashes? (Or maybe I'm just wrong. Shocking, I know.)

• Baller_

@escmanaze, to be clear, you can ski at less than your divisional maximum speed and shorten the rope to receive the commensurate score for that rope length/speed combination. This applies to all tournaments.

However, you can only ski above your maximum divisional speed in a class C tournament. That means you only get credit for the rope length/divisional maximum speed if you are above that speed at Regionals, Nationals or other E, L, R tournament.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Correct @Andre. One of the top M8 skiers polled all of the M8 skiers and only 1 desired to ski at 32.3mph. However the AWSA chose to up the speed to 32.3. That is exactly the moment that I came to understand why so many skiers have stopped skiing tournaments. The rule was allegedly changed to bring AWSA in line with IWWF rules. No offense to any IWWF skiers but I never joined their organization. I'm beyond upset about this ruling. In 2 years I'll be in M9 and I have no doubt by then that they'll be skiing at 32.3 mph in M9.

• Baller_
This could all be solved by allowing the skier to exceed their divisional max, if they choose, at any and all tournaments with the commensurate score awarded for the rope length/speed combination.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

In Canada you can age down a divisiona skier with the younger group. Makes total sense.

If this was the case in the US as a M8 skier who wanted to ski at 32 you just ski with M7 skiers. If you want to ski in your age division at 30, no problem.

Simple.

• Baller
@LeonL He polled the top 20 M8 skiers in ski year 2017. PM me and I can provide additional information. Ski as fast as you wish, I didn't start skiing tournaments until I was 70 so 32.3 seems fast to me. Obviously others agree as the numbers of M8 seem to be dropping.

• Baller
I went from 34. to 32.3 last year and up a ski size. 58 years old, much easier on the body, more fun, fewer crashes, and pretty much the same buoys minus 6 for the lower speed. Not worried about winning championships. Thank you ZBS.