Root cause(s) of lean lock??

jdk99

• Baller

Lean lock is generally only caused by really bad position out of the ball. Butt back, shoulders leading the charge almost impossibly but somehow you don't fall out of the turn and instead kept going.

Some skis and setups have more of a tendency to do this than others but generally it's the skier. Seems like the more "no fail"/"always turns" skis are the ones that will keep going out of the buoy even with the skier way way out of position, dangerously.

• Baller
@Rednucleus - you'll know it when you feel it. Sort of like you're ahead of the ski and leaned such that you really can't get off the edge/stand up... leaving you the option of letting go at full bore or trying to hold it and everything that happens with it.

• Baller

Lean lock cost me my leg, and my sanity. Not sure what I did wrong. Partner said I was doing good. Definitely lean locked is all I’m certain of and felt like fin bounced and then grabbed at a really wrong angle.

So far we have bindings too far forward and bindings too far back. I just don’t remember where I had my bindings, only had ~10 sets on that ski.

• Baller
@Orlando76 when your lean lock accident happened, did you try to ride it out hoping to recover balance at some point or did you let go early? And if you didn't let go early, would you now recommend to us all to let go early whenever we detect being in a lean lock situation?

• Baller
Lean to early out of the buoy? What ever the reason if you won’t let it go at an early stage, you better hold it and try to regain control. Letting it go when you are already in a lean lock situation, not a very good thing..

• Baller
I can play ball, Pissing in the wind is what I do best. @bsmith I’m always short pulling and accused of giving up. This particular day I skied 5+ Rico’s And my last pass I said to myself as I yelled “hit it” I was gonna pull all the way to 6, no short pulling. So I guess I tried riding out the lean lock. Looking back at it, a day of 5 buoys is better than a year of no buoys. Looking back, without video, but a morning full of “you’re looking good’s” I question the ski and it’s set up.

• Members

For me, the few times I have been lean locked were caused by a loss of balance and straight legs. The worst was in a tournament last year, newly on an R-style and with a poorly set up (my fault) C-65. Lost balance, straightened legs, and went out the back headed to 4 at 38. Two broken ribs, season over. I don’t recall ever being lean locked on a ski/binding set up I was in tune with.

Good athletes with good balance, think Terry, Nate, Asher, etc, probably have never been lean locked.

• Baller

If you get into a lean lock position only very occasionally, say maybe once a season or less, that was back luck. If you find yourself in lean lock a lot, it's your ski setup. A ski that gets behind you will force you into that position. You need to be able to get ahead of the ski coming out of the turn, but then have the ski move out from under and in front of you off the 2nd wake. A ski that has too draggy of a setup can get stuck underneath you and not accelerate out from under you, putting you into lean lock.

I've also seen this with boats that aren't running right. A soft boat that isn't gassing you enough can make what was a "fast" ski setup all of the sudden act slow and draggy, because you're not getting enough power from the boat into the wakes. Putting 87 octane into one of the new DI engine boats can do that for instance. These engines will also derate themselves for any number of reasons without throwing a code, which can be maddening, but that's a topic for another thread.

ya, if it happens only once in awhile its just poor technique. the boat is picking you up before you are set in your stacked position. could be because you are shoulder heavy coming out of the turn.. could be because you are crunched forward going in... could be a lot of things. but if you get re connected to the boat before you are ready... its nigh nigh time.

• Baller
Lack of head/shoulders level. Controlling how much lean is a big part of keeping head/shoulders level. Your head is the heaviest part of the body, if you lean your head too much, the rest of the body goes with it. When you combine that with a little slack, and not enough cross course angle, you have no way to get out of that lean to make an edge change. You just have to hold your position and ride it out

• Baller
@skibrain Yeah that is a perfect example of lean lock. I have only experienced it a handful of times over the years. The problem for me is that when it happens I think for a split second that if I can hold this that I will be super early for the next buoy. Then in the next split second I find I am either letting go or if not then skipping like a stone and crashing hard. For anyone who hasn't experienced it yet, you will know it when it happens.