Help an old lady find a new ski (update)

hchwilson

As a reminder, I've slalomed on an old EP Vector (circa mid 90s) for 25+ years. Still love it. But the two I own are now breaking down. Prior to that, an old Mastercraft Graphite ski and learned on Cypress Gardens skis like everyone else in the 70s.

I've skied now for 44 years. I'm 54, 5'6" 125 pounds. I consider myself intermediate simply from years of experience although I've only tried a slalom course a few times in my life. I love open water skiing and creating walls of water. A typical short run for me would be 30-40 minutes. I can ski forever...or so my husband and kids complain.

After much debate and research I found a brand new 2016 Radar P6 with Lyric boot reasonably priced, although some people who commented (much appreciated by the way!) said that ski would not be enough. I didn't want to spend too much and thought this would be a good transitional ski -- maybe it would get me into the modern age of skiing. First time out? EPIC FAIL. The Lyric boot held my lower leg at a weird angle! So, it left me a little sour. Then I remembered someone mentioned Wiley bindings on my last thread. So instead of spending the outrageous fortune on shipping that ski back, I bought the Wiley front boot. First time out? BOOM! What a difference. I like the ski but I'm not sure it will perform like I want -- only time will tell. If not, my novice daughter-in-law can use it. My question...what ski would be next in my "transition to the modern age" line.

Also, will that Wiley binding break in some? WOW. What a tight fit.

Me and my beloved EP Vector:

446r9vt3posi.jpg

• Baller

@hchwilson - OK so it seems people have gotten out of the cultural memory of working with rubber highwraps.

The tools you want -

new overlays, some spare screws/acorn nuts, screw driver, electric/cordless screwdriver, and finally some LONG assembly screws and nuts/washers.

Assembly - stack the appropriate rubber parts and shove long screws through plate, overlays and top plastic. Using a washer and nut along with an electric screw driving loosely snug down the hardware. Next one at a time remove the long screws and replace with the correct short screw and acorn nut - lightly snug and repeat in a crosswise fashion until all are installed - finally snug the hardware down with the screw driver.

Seems slow but what you'll find is that when followed in this way you'll get the whole thing installed with minimal futzing.

• Baller

Sounds like you may have fallen victim to not reading my position paper. Oh, that's right, it didn't exist until just a short time ago. Well, you might be a great case study on the reason I wrote it. Check it out and let me know what you think.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-NiENHZt0sC7WDBaeVk6QK9OJzQ4-DYISGE1h_PPjPI/edit

On the binding, though, you have me completely baffled. I can't even fathom anybody liking old school rubber better than these nice comfy lace up bindings offered today. Wild. I literally have absolutely no explanation for that at all. It would be crazy interesting for me to do like a focus group with folks who still prefer rubber to try to figure out what in the world it is that they are liking.

• Baller
I have to agree with escmanaze: I just got a new Radar Senate with lace up Radar Vector bindings.....what a pleasure in both ease of ingress/egress and comfort compared to my HO Animal rubber bindings. No more soap required, far lighter. I cannot imagine going back in time.

Nice paper @escmanaze!! I confess, the info I get online is baffling. And, I end up feeling "less" of a skier since I don't run the course. I know NO other local slalom skier. Everyone wakeboards. I'm old, apparently. My real point is, I have nothing to compare myself to and thus look to the internet.

I feel like I'm a descent skier. From a non-skier's point of view -- I'm awesome. LOL. Like you said in your paper, I'm a free skier that just wants a great ride, good cutting and nice large sprays. The wake on my boat is tremendous -- so I know my limits.

I really wanted to like that Lyric boot but it was really AWFUL. I've broken both of my feet previously (marathon runner) and can't go there again. Rubber bindings for me...or at least a different boot than that Lyric??